Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

@RunA42K Thanks so much for all the information you've given me. I will have them do the allergy test before any new surgery to make sure so I don't run into any problems with that. I know I'm worse off than I was after my TKR and I'm getting worse as time goes on. I'm happy to hear that it can get better.

That is how mine was...just getting worse after both of my knees, TKR knee and 1st revision knee. My new doctor would not do a revision just based on pain and swelling because he said he could not garentee I'd have a better outcome, but if allergy testing turned up positive then we'd have a reason to go in again. You know the rest of the story...I was allergic, the 3rd knee was put in and now I could not be happier.
 
I'm 12 weeks 3 days post op today with my 3rd right TKR, this knee being free of the metals that I am allergic to. I'm doing so well, that today I rode by bike outside for the first time since late August/early September. I rode 7 miles and peddled better than I ever had after a TKR. With my second knee it took 8 months before I could ride a bike outside and today I am 5 months ahead of that second knee.

I saw my OS and his assistant on January 22nd, and they were just jumping for joy at my progress. I'm jumping for joy too, it's been a long time coming.
 
Great news, Bonnie! :yes!::flwrysmile::happydance::yay::SUNsmile:

I can't tell you how glad I am for you that this knee replacement is the charm.

Its about time, too - you've been so patient and persistent.
 
I've just finished reading your entire thread this weekend! It was so worth my time---you are AMAZING!! I've been on here lurking (do to some issues with 10 mo. old TKR) and found your story. I couldn't stop reading!! I'm so very happy for you!! What a long journey you've been on---wishing you a speedy recovery!!
 
Wow @missb209 Anybody who can read my entire thread has the patience of a saint and a very strong will. Thank you very much for reading it and commenting. I'm 13 weeks post op now, my healing journey is not over yet, but it's my best journey in 5 years! So far so good, I'm holding on to this 120 ROM and trying for more! I hope that in some way my experience will or has helped you.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Bonnie, I am so happy to read your thread. My friend from 'ski school is also doing so well with her new smith and nephew knee. Good thing you never gave up!!!
 
I've read a lot of your thread in the past few days and wanted to find out what knee implant you have now - that you are not allergic to?


3. Right TKR due to knee stiffness (only
45 degree flexion) and pain and removal of plate 1 Feb 2016

2. Broken tibial plateau and knee dislocation, surgery with plate inserted 22Sept 2015

1. Right THR 17 Dec 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've read a lot of your thread in the past few days and wanted to find out what knee implant you have now - that you are not allergic to?
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Hi there @charmed-life,
My newest and current knee is a Smith & Nephew nickel free Revision knee. It is NOT a hinged knee that they also make nickel free.

Hope this helps you in your quest for answers :idea:
 
Are revision knees different than the original ones? If so is it just the length of the part that extends into the bone? I have a smith and nephew knee right now and my new surgeon says he uses a different kind. I still have to have detailed discussion about my revision and I'm trying to formulate all the questions I should ask.
 
I do have allergy issues with nickel (in lots of jewelry) but although I'm told this does not show up as much in implants, my hip implant is Smith and Nephews titanium as is my new knee. I do have a revision knee due to my earlier bike accident that started all this. First surgery in France to stabilize the fractured tibial plateau and dislocated knee so I could get home...after 4 months of not more than 45 degrees flexion, OS removed the plate and did the TKR last week.


3. Right TKR due to knee stiffness (only
45 degree flexion) and pain and removal of plate 1 Feb 2016

2. Broken tibial plateau and knee dislocation, surgery with plate inserted 22Sept 2015

1. Right THR 17 Dec 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@newlybionic i am sure there are some differences besides just length but I don't know what they are. My first knee was a Smith & Nephew and with my first revision my OS said "I've never liked those knees" and he put in a Stryker Revision knee which I turned out to be allergic to. The tibia implant especially was very long and just a little longer in the femur. So with my second revision my new OS liked Smith & Nephew knees and put in one of their revision knees where the tibia is to titanium and the femur ceramic coated zirconium. With this 3rd knee the tibia implant is not as long as my second knee was but the femur implant is much longer. I guess it just all depends on the individual patient and what they have to work with.
 
Thanks for your answer. With any luck I will only need to go through this once but I will be asking about possible allergies to metal.
 
15 weeks 3 days post op from my 3rd right total knee replacement...trying to get my fitness back I was able to walk 2 1/2 miles late this afternoon. I played with my pace trying to learn to become a fast walker (since I used to be a marathon runner) and there is hope. I got my pace down to a 14:40 mi., my first time out! With Houston Aramco 1/2 marathon 11 months away I know I'll be just fine!!

Missed Physical Therapy for two weeks due to upper respiratory virus and two middle ear infection this month, but went back on Friday and was still at 120 ROM so I didn't lose any ground!

Third time is a charm!:dancy:
 
Delighted to hear of your progress. What a relief it must be to have such good results finally. We've had the respiratory viruses here too and they seem to hang around for awhile. You're walk sounds wonderful and I know you'll be walking that half marathon come January. You are truly an inspiration and I am so happy for you.:wowspring:
 
Happy to read of your progress and success with you 3rd replacement. Glad you found someone who got to the bottom of your knee challenges.
 
The journey continues for me. Since my knee is doing so well, I've been able to be more active. In being more active I've gone out walking several times a week 2 1/2 miles each time. But...there is a glitch! After walking and during walking after 2 miles or so, my back hurts sooooo much!! So much that after I am done, I can't been down or stoop down to even pick up the dog dish to feed my dogs, can't sit down in a chair without pain and can't roll over in bed at night...

The culprit is my leg length difference created by the doctor who did my 1st revision knee. Back then in December 2013, I was told by my doctor that the leg length different was within the acceptable range. Acceptable to who??? I have struggled with it since December 2013. After 6 months of hip and back pain I sought out a podiatrist who made me orthotics to raise me up on the left side. The orthotics had to be tweaked 3 different times. I don't believe they were ever right. I was told by my 1st revision doctor and my 2nd revision doctor that I could have my shoe modified. I replied each time..."What shoe?" I have so many shoes...I work in a running speciality store and own 75 or more pair of shoes!! "I can't wear just 'one' pair of shoes!"

Well pain trumps fashion! I've spend a couple of hours last week with a Pedorthist who specializes in orthotics and shoe modification. Boy...what an eye opener!! The orthotics that the podiatrist made me that I have been wearing the better part of two years raise up my heel. but not the front of my foot. Essentially I have been walking around in a high heel and a flat all of this time. Throwing off my gait, causing back and hip pain. I picked out one pair of running shoes and had the left shoe modified. Instead of just raising up my heel, my entire foot needed to be raised up by 3/8 inch (almost 1 cm). I also bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals and had the left one modified. As I never get to wear sandals, always running shoes and socks to accommodate the orthotics which ended up being wrong for me all of this time.

Yesterday I picked up my Asics shoe and my Birkenstock. I wore the Asics all day yesterday and the Birkenstocks so far today. It feels so much more comfortable to have both feet flat on the ground instead of the left wearing a heel and the right wearing a flat!!

I am supposed to wear only these two pair of shoes for a couple of weeks till it is determined that this is indeed the correct height. Once that is determined they will made me a flat insert that raises my entire foot from heel to toe the same amount, that I can put into the shoes that I don't want to get modified. Since I have so many shoes, I will get more modified too once it is determined that this is the relief that I have been looking for. The real test will be for me to go walk my 2 1/2 route and see if I have back/hip pain or not.

So its not over until its over. Always keep searching for answers until you get the answers that make you feel good and happy!! Never give up!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic, glad you found someone who has a solution to your leg length discrepancy.
Have a good walk, :walking:.
 
Back
Top Bottom