Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I had Exparel and I had no pain when I woke up. I was only in overnight and I made the mistake of telling my nurse and myself that I did not need a full dose of oxy, and when the Exparel wore off three days later at home the pain kicked in. Had I been taking the full dose of oxy from the start I would have gotten ahead of the pain and my first week would have been so much easier. Good luck.
 
Pretty sure I nerve blocks with my GA. I was fine the first 10-14 hours after surgery, but at some point in the night I was in incredible pain and had to wait till morning for relief. Not sure why, but next time I'll be sure there is an order to push Toradol into my IV.
 
It's getting real now, one week from tomorrow I'll have my second revision (same knee) due to nickel allergy. I've just purchased my 3rd shower chair...each time I have surgery I buy one then donate it to charity thinking I'll never have surgery again, only to have surgery again...I donated my walker too after my last revision thinking I'd never have surgery again. I'm not buying another one since I have to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks, I'll just use crutches!! Been Christmas shopping since I'll not be able to drive till mid December. I'm just ready to get this over with and done! They never told me if they use Experal or not so I'll just hope for the best when it comes to pain.
 
Are all revisions non-weight bearing for a while?
I don't know ... But from my recent experience I'd say they should be !! I now think I was started on weight bearing PT way too soon and have been paying the price for most of the 6 weeks since my revision.

Bonnie , it sounds like you are in excellent hands. Best wishes for next week .
 
Are all revisions non-weight bearing for a while?
Karri, my first revision I was walking weight bearing the next morning and walking totally unassisted by 12 days. Actually walking out my front door, down the driveway and to the mail box, no walker no crutches! This time though since it's my third replacement and second revision on the same knee they are worrying about too much bone loss in my tibia. Chiseling out two implants and cement in the same leg always takes some bone with it they tell me. So in light of caution over my tibia, I've been told it's crutches for me for 6 weeks. My first revision recovery I had more pain down my tibia then I did in the knee area. Maybe non weight bearing will help with that this time.
 
Almost there Bonnie. I know you will be glad to be looking in the rear view mirror at this ordeal! What challenges you've had and you've been so courageous in facing them!

I was at "our hospital" yesterday for 6 week followup on my left knee and preop for my right knee? I'm 2 weeks out from surgery on my right knee.
 
Almost there Bonnie. I know you will be glad to be looking in the rear view mirror at this ordeal! What challenges you've had and you've been so courageous in facing them!

I was at "our hospital" yesterday for 6 week followup on my left knee and preop for my right knee? I'm 2 weeks out from surgery on my right knee.
Thanks so much Wings! I was up your way yesterday in Market Street getting my hair done and doing some Christmas shopping, before I can't drive anymore. I figure that if I feel bad, at least I don't have to look bad!

Maybe the timing will be right for my post op exam when you are there for your next knee. We have to stay in touch, if you are there I can come and see you...

Who is your doctor again?
 
Bonnie, I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery. It sounds like you're in good hands and well prepared.

I haven't been on here for a long time but do think of you often. I did have a general anesthetic with block for my tkr and don't remember much pain when I woke up. Best wishes and stay strong. Are you going to be in Medical Center again?

Dorothy

P.S. Love your new picture. You look great, amazing woman that you are.
 
But from my recent experience I'd say they should be !! I now think I was started on weight bearing PT way too soon and have been paying the price for most of the 6 weeks since my revision.
I could bear weight straight away on my revision. I guess a lot depends on what your surgeon has to do during the revision. I think the PT was your problem @Randi . My surgeon has a policy whereby his patients have no PT for at least 4 weeks after surgery. His patients all do well.

@RunA42K - Bonnie, best wishes for next week.
 
@turtle68 Oh Dorothy, it is so good to hear from you. I did get your e-mail. I think it came at a time when I was especially busy and I wanted to answer and give you a good reply that you deserved and then you know how time slips away. Lots going on with my daughter having a baby, my son got married Sept 19, I babysat the 8 year old step daughter at my son's house near The Woodlands while the newly weds were on their Honey Moon, I still went to work and back and forth for doctor appointments and testing for my knee. I am sorry...

Yes I will be in the medical center at Texas Orthopedic Hospital. November 5 and insurance has approved me for a 3 day stay.

I'm home today, my day off and just trying to get the house in order for when I can't do anything which is very soon. I'm feeling down...if I let myself, I could cry at the drop of a hat. Yes I am strong and I WILL get through this and I will get active and kick butt at the gym soon. But sometimes I just grow weary of hurting and being limited in what I can do when I want to do so much more.

So glad that you dropped in. I hope that you are getting some answers with your knee. You know what I say...Never give up, don't settle for what you've got if it is not right!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Bonnie---I hope you finally get all of this settled on November 5th so you can put it behind you and move forward.

You will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers!
 
Bonnie, I've not made it to the OS yet for my knee. I've got some names of Drs. who do revisions. In my mind it's a metal allergy that has kept it inflamed where I if I get too active it gets really sore and swollen. I've been dealing with other health issues so will get to that maybe next year.

In the meantime, hang in there. Texas Orthopedic is a good place and I wish you all the best with your surgery and recovery.

Big hugs to you

Dorothy
 
I also hope you get everything finally worked out. You are a real trooper with three replacements! What a resume of perseverance!
 
Bonnie, my friend whose story is much like yours had a revision and came by the other day---her rom at 8 weeks was 120!! after three years of 60 flexion, she is so happy.
 
Bonnie, my friend whose story is much like yours had a revision and came by the other day---her rom at 8 weeks was 120!! after three years of 60 flexion, she is so happy.
Wow Kelly...that is awesome news!! I would so love to have a functional 120!! I won't be greedy and ask for more, just to be pain free, pedal a bike and be able to walk down stairs! I am very happy for her!!
 
Bonnie, I've not made it to the OS yet for my knee. I've got some names of Drs. who do revisions. In my mind it's a metal allergy that has kept it inflamed where I if I get too active it gets really sore and swollen. I've been dealing with other health issues so will get to that maybe next year.

In the meantime, hang in there. Texas Orthopedic is a good place and I wish you all the best with your surgery and recovery.

Big hugs to you

Dorothy
Dorothy, please check out my new doctor. Robin Goytia with Fondren Orthopedics out of TX Orthopedic Hospital. They were the ones who brought up the subject of metal allergy. Each and every time I've emailed their office with a question, I have a reply by 8 am the next day. I am totally pleased!
 
Good Luck, Bonnie on your revision. I will be watching you....I read through lots of your posts and was so inspired that you were able to run again. Oh my...I haven't run for 16 years nor played tennis of thrown a football, or any of the things I loved to do. Tthe last two years I had to stop dancing. I can still cycle and was able to do 2500 miles this summer (a lot for me) to get ready for my double knee replacement on November 23. I will be watching for your posts again. Even glad to see that there are people out there who have revisions. YAY!!
 
Back
Top Bottom