TKR Never Ending Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Old Texan I'm not getting a lot of the alerts anymore. I keep discovering the tags when I browse. Thanks for asking about me.

I feel like I'm in limbo land again. My knee is progressing fine but I'm having lots of problems with my gait and foot pain due to leg length discrepancy and miss alignment. I'm waiting for gait analysis so that it can be corrected as much as possible with orthotics. In the mean time I'm working on strengthening my muscles and gaining ROM. I'm trying to restrict fully weight bearing as much as possible outside of the house so as to not create more problems. I can start to go to the pool now and the exercise as my Hickman line scar has healed. Another week to go before the kids go back to school and the pool will be quieter in the daytime and I'll start going.

Take care and I hope all continues to heal and you get home for good soon.
 
@Old Texan Just read through your thread. All I can say is wow. Unbelievable the road you have travelled in the past months. I wish for you healing and a lot better days ahead. I am just amazed at how much you have been through!
~~hopefaith
 
plastics wants me in bed with leg elevated, and ortho wants me up and walking

Well that is an interesting predicament; to be a fly on the wall during that conversation!

So sorry you have been going through all of this, even with a great deal of patience it must be frustrating. But the good news is that it went well and no skin graft! :ok:

Make that list of things you want to do along the way while healing. Perhaps some sightseeing, even if from a car, or visiting family, or even having a dinner at home with the only worry being what to have for dinner.

Much healing! :SUNsmile:
 
Ortho has bowed to plastics. So, I am on bedrest with leg elevated. Plastics removed surgical dressing this am--suture line (staples) look good. Ace bandages for compression and big immobilizer brace to make sure I don't move. No idea how long they will keep me like this. @busylizzie good to hear from you! Sorry to hear that you are still having pain, but it looks like you are doing what you need to do. @hopefaith it does seem unbelievable, huh? Especially since I never have complications, heal up fine, etc. This has been really one day at a time and a realization that I'm not in my 20s anymore. I should be through now. I will have to stay on IV antibiotics for another month, and oral antibiotics for at least a year. New or returning infections are a real possibility. I just have to follow instructions to the letter(another thing I hate). Keeping fingers crossed!
 
Glad to hear everything is looking good and you are on the mend from all you have been through. Your knee will love the rest, ice, elevate, and medicate schedule, and be just fine when you are allowed out of bed.
Wishing you a complete healing.
 
BORED!!!!
Still in hospital on bedrest. I am excited that I might be able to get up and walk 10 feet to the bathroom starting tomorrow. But, if I don't have swelling, I should be able to go home Saturday.
 
@Old Texan
Can understand why you are feeling so bored because of the enforced bed rest and looking forward to being allowed out on Thursday to be able to walk to the bathroom - in your circumstances that is a huge gain.

Keeping fingers crossed that you be allowed home on Saturday.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hooray! My doc discontinued my brace. Will have softer and easier to manage immobilizer. Only have to wear when I am up. Have to remember to keep leg straight until sutures can be removed. (Plastic surgeon likes to keep them in 4 weeks). He just came by and is pleased with how sutures look and small amount of drainage I am getting in JP drains. :-P:-)
 
@Old Texan
:wowspring:Congratulations ! That is great news, making progress.
Hope that you will still be home-ward bound on Saturday !

Take care and continued good progress :flwrysmile:
Cathie
 
Up! Cleared to walk to BR. With walker, supervision, and gait belt. Infectious Disease docs came by. They have finally found a slow growing microbacteria, contained in my knee. They said that this may have been what has caused my flare-ups of inflammation. They have to let it grow to identify it, then will send it to the Mayo Clinic to find the specific antibiotics to kill it. Apparently, this makes me fascinating. Have new, short, lighter immobilizer. Much better, but I will hate this one, in time. Going home day has been pushed to Sunday. Will try for Saturday, because I don't see a big difference in one day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom