Guest viewing is limited

Nervous like so many....question about PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I wish I had invested in was a wedge cushion as it would have been easier than piling up bed pillows, but I will definitely get one ahead of having the left knee done. Did I actually say that???:blush:[/quote]

Hi Mazza...I loved the Lounge Doctor wedge recommended here and even slept with my legs elevated on it, also perfect to get your legs up high enough in a recliner and for icing. Of all the assist devices, this one was indispensable to me.
 
Hi
Josephine put together a great article on how best to elevate your knee after surgery.
CLICK HERE

Hope that is helpful!
 
I've done some website searching this morning with regard to buying a wedge cushion, but have meanwhile created my own my using an upturned lap tray with two cushion pads piled on top. The lap tray (filled with polystyrene beans type) prevents the stack from moving. I was aware that my recliner wasn't doing enough and perhaps I haven't been raising the TKR adequately.

My husband is going to cut a wedge from compacted polystyrene later today and we will put that into a pillowcase :egypdance: Should save some money anyway!
 
The first visit should just be orientation and Q&A
Yes---my PT---both in home and eventually out-patient---began with the PT talking to me and checking me out and telling me what the protocol would be.

In your case, stairs could be an issue and Home Health could make sure you are safe going up and down.
Many folks will not be released until they can handle stairs, but those stairs can be slow and challenging. Others, though have had no problems. For what it is worth, I live in a ranch and I spent most of the early weeks in a recliner. I am glad that I had no real stairs to worry about.
 
I would recommend you go home, so long as there is someone who can care for you in the beginning. Here's why--your surgery date is December 17th and you do NOT want to be in a rehab facility on Christmas! I went to rehab after my hip replacement and was miserable. I did not receive meds for my entire first night and the nurses would not bring me any ice. I actually had a hard time getting out of the rehab facility. I was told that if I checked myself out against medical authority that I would be liable for all expenses incurred and my insurance would not pay. I just cried and cried. It took me 6 days to get out. I am having knee surgery 3 days after you (December 20th) and I am not going to rehab unless there are complications and I have no other choice. If I were you, I would go home and enjoy sleeping in your nice big comfy bed. Best of luck--I will be watching your recovery!
 
As far as I would need at home post-op, Occupational Therapy visited me while in the hospital and took care of ordering whatever I needed. I was able to borrow a riser for the toilet, which was so helpful! In fact, I'm 7 weeks out and haven't given that back yet! As you found out, my insurance also covered my home PT 100% as "Home Health Care", but once I went to outpatient PT, I have a $50 copay and can only go 2x/week and that's a financial hardship! Don't worry, everything will come into place before you leave the hospital for home after your surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom