Guest viewing is limited

Nervous like so many....question about PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumb: In my own experience (just over a fortnight ago), I was pre-informed that PT would start from the day after the op. I can only vaguely remember what I had to do, but it definitely entailed doing simple foot movements on the bed and the following day I was shown how to get out of bed and move to sit in a chair.
Once my catheter was removed (I think that was Day 3) early in the morning, I then had to walk with sticks to and from the bathroom just a few yards from my bed. I was visited daily by the PT and introduced to different exercises although I found some of them almost impossible to do given the discomfort and swelling at that time.
I had to walk up and down a flight of stairs before being deemed fit for discharge. To tell you the truth doing stairs is a doddle compared to walking on the flat!
I came home on Day 5 and then had the shock of not having the hospitable bed with rise and fall, bedrails, etc. so prepare yourself for that as your bed may be higher and it's not funny lifting the post op leg in and out for several days. My husband would support my bad leg and I held the good leg on a level with it to guide the bad foot. I also had a step stool at the side of the bed, which gave me something to push backwards with to get my bottom as far back onto the mattress before lifting both legs up and onto the bed. As I'm only 5ft, this was the only way I could do it.
You will find ways to improvise, but my hint would be - don't rush anything and consider every move you make.

I also find that using a simple cloth shoulder bag enables me to carry oddments up and down to the bedroom, rather than having to make several journeys or call for help!

Best wishes and good luck
 
As far as equipment, some insurance plans have a co-pay on walkers, etc. so you might want to check on that and if they do, try to borrow equipment. I sent out an email request and had several people offer walkers and other equipment they no longer needed.
 
I bought a neat lifter to lasso around my bad foot in order to raise my leg when needed until I could do it on my own. Got it on amazon as well as a grabber which is helpful for grabbing things out of reach, helping put socks and pants on. You will definitely need a commode raiser with arms. Invaluable. Might need handles to attach to shower bath walls for safety. They suction on quite well.
Best thoughts!
 
My second TKR is on Dec 10. I knew that I would need a walker so ordered a purple one from Amazon. :SUNsmile: I don't recollect needing a "grabber" with the first knee but have purchased one this time -- first knee was done in the summer so did not need assistance with long trousers etc. I want to practice with the assistive devices before I truly need them. We installed a higher toilet when we remodeled our bathroom so I'm pretty good to go!
 
Hi Maggie May....thank you :)
My husband can be with me 24/7 so at least I don't have to worry about that part. One of the big parts is that I've been pretty down after putting our dog, ( furry son) "to sleep" That was two weeks ago. Been through it many times and know times heals. At least my surgery isn't until Dec 17.
Love this site. Just have to take time to figure out where people went. :umm: I had read postings that people did here and I can't remember their names. LOL...from now on I'm going to write them down. Thanks again for your advice. Best wishes, :)
 
I am so sorry about your dog---we recently put down a little Corgi. We miss him.
 
Lovedogs Putting our pets to sleep is about the most emotionally painful choice we make in life; I've had to do it several times and it does take a long time to recover from the sadness. However, our lives go on because they have to and I am one of those who thought I'd never get over such times and have survived with keeping hold of the great memories.
In a way, I've been subconsciously putting the same theory to the test with this RTKR - losing an old friend and getting used to the new one while still feeling the pain:puppysmooze:

Chihuahuan I don't think I used my "grabber" more than once and that was only to pick up my specs because I was too lazy to get out of the chair to pick them up LOL

I found that using a pilates band was useful for elevating the RTKR leg when necessary. A belt or scarf of any kind would do as long as you can keep a firm grip on it.

Just improvise with what you have and save on purchasing things that you won't need for long.

The one thing I wish I had invested in was a wedge cushion as it would have been easier than piling up bed pillows, but I will definitely get one ahead of having the left knee done. Did I actually say that???:blush:
 
I am so sorry about your puppy. We have been through that with so many cats and shed so many tears and I understand totally. Our children. My thoughts are with you!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi Lovedogs, I just had RTKR Oct 23, 2013. Up until I had the surgery done I was having palpitations all day almost all the time. After the surgery it seemed to settled down tremendously. I like you saw my ortho surgeon about one month prior to scheduled date and the next time I saw him was prior to surgery. The hospital has a pre-op day where you go and have all your pre-op lab done and you also have a 2 and 1/2 hour pre-op class for total demonstration on what to expect, in hospital, pre-op, and post -op. I like you was concerned about steps because I have a lot as well. Not straight up as I have a split level ranch. So in the hospital that is when PT started. The the day after I got home, I had VNS and PT was done 4 days a week in my home for 2 weeks. I am now doing out patient PT 3 times a week at a Physical Therapy facility, and the PT therapist is really pushing it. I was in one thread on this site where some were saying that they had no PT after surgery. I am trying to locate that thread again as I am new to this forum. I thought everyone went to PT after knee and hip replacement. So you could find out what your doctor does by calling the office secretary or nurse. They would be able to help you with that. In my pre-op class they did tell us to make certain to take your pain meds around the clock for the first few weeks as you will need it. I wish you good luck and keep us posted on what your doctor prefers as far as physical therapy.
 
I forgot to add that the PT at the hospital has referred me to my local PT department for a couple of sessions with them in the hope that it will enhance what I am doing at home. :groan:
 
chestnc, why don't you start your own thread so that we can talk to just you! Here is how you do that:

Starting a new thread and posting.

In the UK almost no one goes to PT, but here, in the US most of us go to pt. However---you employ them and should not allow anyone to hurt you at any time!!! If it is too much, just say so and tell them to back off. If the pt is too much it will CAUSE additional swelling---exactly what you are trying to avoid. post your own thread and I will send you the post reading list!
 
Putting our pets to sleep is about the most emotionally painful choice we make in life; I've had to do it several times
I completely agree. I did lose one this past September, as he had surgery and was doing fine. We came home and he had passed. The vet says that he must have thrown a clot. Anyway, I think that the boy was looking out for me and took matters into his own hands---so I would not have to worry about it down the road.

I don't think I used my "grabber" more than once and that was only to pick up my specs because I was too lazy to get out of the chair to pick them up LOL
Mine picked up a great amount of dust; I think it is still hiding from me under the bed somewhere.
 
[The one thing I wish I had invested in was a wedge cushion as it would have been easier than piling up bed pillows, but I will definitely get one ahead of having the left knee done. Did I actually say that???:blush:[/quote]
I saw on the Facebook page that a leg wedge that supports a bent knee is not what is needed. Can anyone recommend a specific wedge?
 
Chihuahuan I had the same reservations as some of the cushions I viewed were shaped to permit a bend in the knee at the point of elevation, which is wrong for us TKR's
All I want is a straight wedge, like a slice out of a cake - or perhaps the slice of cake would be nicer :tada:
 
Chihuahuan I had the same reservations as some of the cushions I viewed were shaped to permit a bend in the knee at the point of elevation, which is wrong for us TKR's
All I want is a straight wedge, like a slice out of a cake - or perhaps the slice of cake would be nicer :tada:

I looked on Amazon and they have a nice leg elevator but it costs about $50. Need to think about it a little…I've been indulging in way too many slices of pie/cake to cope with nervousness...
 
Chihuahuan I also looked on Amazon UK and thought the same as you - a lot of money for the short term use, but I know I need the other knee done so will track something down that's not too expensive and will serve the same purpose, perhaps even a wedge of foam which can be covered with a towel or a pillowcase. At least a wedge of some sort will support a bed pillow without it sliding away and afterwards it would be useful to lean into for sitting up in bed.
 
Chihuahuan I also looked on Amazon UK and thought the same as you - a lot of money for the short term use, but I know I need the other knee done so will track something down that's not too expensive and will serve the same purpose, perhaps even a wedge of foam which can be covered with a towel or a pillowcase. At least a wedge of some sort will support a bed pillow without it sliding away and afterwards it would be useful to lean into for sitting up in bed.

I have young grandchildren and am pondering on getting the leg elevator to protect the knee from them :umm: I can see it becoming a car race track later on! See you are from Wiltshire -- I'm originally from Staffordshire...
 
:umm: I can see where you're coming from but to be honest you won't want the grandchildren within a metre of your leg and elevating it will be more to do with when you're laying in bed, on a reclining chair or with the TKR on a stool plus wedge. If the grandchildren bombard you I'd also have a couple of dustbin lids to hand to use as shields :gaah:

Good thought about the wedge later being used as a car track. Mine are now too grown up for that to be the case, but it will always be nice for them to sit against when reading books or using their iPads!! :yahoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom