Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Neerod in recovery

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Good luck today with your appointment @Neerod Hoping it’s all soft tissue and will heal with time. X-ray is a good idea, just for peace of mind.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You will definitely need to get a diagnosis and I would like to add that tendonitis is another common plaint especially when we do too much too soon.
It is often confused with bursitis and once flared up, can take lots of rest and care to resolve.
Here's a great explanation from our library.

OP
OP
N

Neerod

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Everyone-just returned from my visit to see the surgeon who performed my THR. He checked mobility of the joint and said it was very good and he had no concerns regarding this. He explained that the new joint was now allowing my muscles/ligaments etc to move more freely than before i.e pre op, the arthritis had caused my muscles to become distorted and scar tissue had formed, restricting my natural movement. He said that the soft tissue in the hip was struggling to adapt to my new range of movement and this was the pain i was feeling. He expalined that these inflamed muscles then aggravate the 'greater trochanteric' bursa[on the outside od the hip bone] which then becomes inflamed and a viscious cycle is set up!
We spoke about the 'over enthusiastic' PT session I'd had and i said which exercise I felt had caused the problem. My surgeon has now advised me to stop all my PT exercises and just walk, rest, ice and take anti inflamatories.
He reasured me that many patients experience similar symptoms to mine and that I shouldn't worry and that eventually, hopefully, things will settle down. I asked him why he said 'hopefully' he expalined that once you've had bursitis you may be more likely to get it again. He also said that it was too early to consider a steroid injection, and that injections carried a risk of introducing infection into the joint.
He's advised i 'take it easy' for another two weeks and that I should be patient!
I feel less stressed now but still feel anxiety re how my recovery will progress and how long it will take. My horse is calling me and so to are my friends at Zumba, not to mention work! :)
They say patience is a virtue.....something I wasn't blessed with sadly!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Afternoon! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your update. It sounds as though you had a good visit with your surgeon.
We spoke about the 'over enthusiastic' PT session I'd had and i said which exercise I felt had caused the problem. My surgeon has now advised me to stop all my PT exercises and just walk, rest, ice and take anti inflamatories.
Very sound advice. Hopefully you find it easy to follow your surgeon's instruction.
I feel less stressed now but still feel anxiety re how my recovery will progress and how long it will take. My horse is calling me and so to are my friends at Zumba, not to mention work!
Doing it right now will have you engaging and once again enjoying the things you love and are missing. Pushing it will only continue stalling your recovery.
Patience is needed in large doses. We can't rush the healing process. There is a lot of internal healing happening and that will continue for months to come.

I hope through some dedicated icing and rest your symptoms quickly ease.
Have a great weekend!
@Neerod

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Isn't it interesting how somehow the OS and the PT are on different pages of the play book. I've had it where just the slightest thing will set off muscle strain and require rest and ice. The hardest part of this whole deal is the slow recovery and the patience required to get back to the life we want.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Neerod sorry to hear about the trochanteric bursitis, I have the same issue and it just really gets to you some days. Right now try to take it easy on your hip, try icing, if that doesn't work try heat. A warm bath with Epsom salts can be helpful as well.

If you have access to an indoor pool you can go swimming or water walking, which is what I do as my swimming skills aren't great. You can practice your heel-toe walking in the pool with less pain as well as some leg stretches. Just be careful when first starting out as it's easy to overdo since you don't feel the stress on your body like you do outside the pool.

Hang in there it takes time to get it to settle down. Also, one thing my GP told me was that we women tend to get this more because our hips are wider. I had a cortisone injection done by my GP just short of 6 months out, has helped some. Have read that sometimes a follow-up/booster shot is sometimes needed. Asked my OS about getting one at our last visit but he said not until 3 months after my first.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you’re enjoying some relief from the discomfort you were dealing with last month. Please consider leaving an update. We’d love to hear how you’re doing these days. Wishing you a happy Thursday and wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Neerod

Top Bottom