• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[BILATERAL TKR] Neehutchy's Recovery<

OP
OP
Neehutchy

Neehutchy

Country
United States United States
Week 4 is over...into middle of week 5 postop. Shoveled snow yesterday! Well, pushed it off the edge of the boardwalk and called it shoveling! Saturday I went to a craft show at my old high school. I stood/walked for nearly 2 hrs. Yesterday I went out for a full body massage...omg, that felt fantastic. I was able to get on her table and position myself, even roll over and lay on my stomach!

Today is my one month post op (my first) appointment with my OS. Hoping to go back to part of my work after Thanksgiving. Easy part of my job, data entry and supervisory from my office. I can sit, elevate and ice at will...can leave when/if I need to and be off as needed.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wow, you are able to do a lot! No repercussions after that craft show?

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
That’s great! All those are to be expected. I wouldn’t recommend doing that too often yet, you don’t want to mess up the good thing you’ve got going. But that’s awesome that your knee let you do all that!!

OP
OP
Neehutchy

Neehutchy

Country
Post op visit today, first time seeing the surgeon since discharge from hospital. Xrays are fine, was surprised/happy my bend was more than 90 and my knees would go flat. Said, and showed us on the xrays, I have no cement, he used the press fit technique. I have no restrictions. He said, "go live your life. You are driving, right? No reason you shouldn't be." I got released to go back to work on the 27th. (that will be 6 weeks) I have a job that I can tailor to fit my abilities, can be a desk job with a little walking and I can add job duties as I am capeable. Next postop visit is in one month!

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Your progress has been wonderful: sensible and optimistic and you’re doing things you enjoy. I’m glad to hear the craft fair worked out, and also that you have a job you can tailor to your recovery needs. Forward! :friends:

OP
OP
Neehutchy

Neehutchy

Country
Update on my Two Month Follow-Up with my Orthopedic Surgeon today...
He said he was really happy with my progress.

When he came into the exam room, I was sitting on the chair, with my ankles crossed and pulled back underneath me. He stopped dead in his tracks and said, "well, there's something I have never seen! Both knees done and you can cross your ankles and pull them back under your chair...how far out are you? Very impressive."

He asked if I had any complaints or concerns... I rattled a few off and he replied with just "normal, normal, normal; it'll get better over time. And, is that seriously your only complaints?". Ha, yup! Nothing major...and I knew that. Apparently they are suppose to click, get stiff, swell with over use and get pain zingers! Normal!

He grabbed his nurse and said, "did you see her hop off that table? She's only 2 months out from both knees. She's my rock star. I wish all my patients bounced back like you. I have people 6 months out aren't as far along as you are."

I finished PT with only 8 visits; had a very non aggressive PT! His hands on massage stuff was fantastic! I've been back to work for four weeks....the first week was a bit rough, but things have settled down into a good routine.
I go back in one month for the last monthly follow up...and, yes, I'm glad I did it!

beachy

post-grad
Country
Show off! :rofsign:

Seriously, glad to hear from you and your great post! You always were a rock star to me. You were doing things early on that I could only dream of.
Wishing your and your knees a blessed Christmas :tree:

OP
OP
Neehutchy

Neehutchy

Country
I've always had this little red mark on my scar every since the bandage came off on day 9 or 10. It stays pink with darker sections. It seems to form scales that flake off. It has never been hot/warm to the touch, it's never seeped or bled, it's never been filled with puss or broken open. It is no more tender/painful than the other knee whose scar looks perfect. At my two month apt the OS said it's fine but to keep an eye on it. It hasn't changed. My 3 mo postop apt is next Tuesday (it will be 16 weeks).

neehutchy 1-horz.jpg

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Are you referring to your left knee or both of them?

Josephine

Administrator
Country
Not at all. But I do think that the blip on your left knee is related to a suture that's not dissolving. It's possible the suture might surface given time. In the mean time, just leave it alone.

OP
OP
Neehutchy

Neehutchy

Country
Question!
The tight band feeling across the front of the knee...I've read the post from @Josephine dated Sept. 13, 2017.

I have one knee that is simply a little tender in that area but "Lefty" extremely tender there and you can feel and almost see a ridge there. My normal massage therapist is saying it's scar tissue and it needs broken up or it will continue to grow and be bothersome. She showed me a cross friction massage to "break up the scar tissue" and hinted that it's there because my quads are weak and don't get enough exercise because I no longer go to PT (haven't went since November).

My ROM isn't compromised, but the knee feels stiff and achy. If I'm on my feet a lot I can almost feel it swelling right across that band. It is more painful from the center of the knee and wraps out around the outside of the leg. I am 4½ months post-op. Is this still normal for it to be this sensitive and tender? And should I be doing anything about it? I have an apt with my OS next week, unless it gets snowed out again...

Josephine

Administrator
Country
My normal massage therapist is saying it's scar tissue and it needs broken up or it will continue to grow and be bothersome. She showed me a cross friction massage to "break up the scar tissue" and hinted that it's there because my quads are weak and don't get enough exercise because I no longer go to PT
It never ceases to amaze me how all these people (who are not doctors) so readily fall to this myth of scar tissue. It doesn't exist. The proper term is adhesions and they are rare. She hasn't a clue what she is talking about either!

Your knee is sore and swollen because of the activity you are engaging in.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dhall
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags