TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEG, I am so sorry you fell and that you're getting such shabby treatment from your OS's office!:console2: I hope all works out well today and you get the meds you need! Let us know how it all works out, we care!
 
OK, I am back. and need your help more than ever! If any of your are friends with you doc...etc. Putting everything else aside....I am 7 1/2 weeks and my degree of bend is ONLY 60 degrees. I know many say not to worry, but that is nearly a straight leg. Doc and assistant both say.... definite adhesions. How they know that since it is swollen I don' t know but I am not a doc. He wants to do a MUA immediately. Like next week! I don't know.....I am not going to get into anything else we have been talking about....just this...what do you think??????? He said there is a SMALL window of opportunity. I am confused because before his assistant always said he would not even consider it for 3-4 months! I am really confused and un-easy. Earlier my GP said he would make a referral to pain management and actually put a call in to him. He is being great. He also prescribed me a muscle relaxer. As for my OS, I really gave him a mouthful regarding pain management etc and what I went through but I could tell it fell on deaf ears. Honestly I was not even going to see him...it was his assistant again until I insisted. They took X-rays and all is well. It told him I was worried he would not manage my pain again and he did his typical "it is nothing." Before I get into any more....what do you all think????? I have no one to bounce this off of...sigh
When I hear of people not having "bend" I never see ANYONE as bad as me.....I am a mess...:boohoo:
 
Sorry to hear the visit was so difficult. I would be hesitant to let him do an MUA given your history with this OS. Here is an article in the library about ROM, and that there is no rush. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/myth-busting-the-window-of-opportunity-in-tkr.6895/
I hope that helps you decide what to do. You do not have to allow this OS to do a MUA, you have lost confidence in him and hopefully can find another OS that can restore your confidence. You have time do not rush.
jerseychick had slow recovery of ROM and may be able to give you some insight.
:console2:
 
I had gotten stuck at 85 degrees and swore I would not get the MUA because so many stories about people hurting from it but my OS insisted that I get it at 6 weeks so I reluctantly did and I measured in at 114 today. Also, it hurt a bit the day the MUA happened but otherwise it felt no worse than without it.

That all being said, I can't bear the thought of you seeing that terrible surgeon again!!

I hope whatever you decide turns out for the best for you!
 
I think it is hard for any of us to tell you what to do because not many of us have been in your shoes at only a 60 degree bend. I wonder if there is something wrong with the hardware itself. It just seems like there is something else going on there. I thing something should be done, but wish it could be with a different surgeon. Praying for you so you can make the right decision.
 
Please do not let this man do anything else to you.
There is no "small window of opportunity" You are still very very soon post-op!
He will not be able to bend your knee any more than you can if it as swollen as you say. You need pain control, and you need to quiet the swelling. This means ice/elevation/massage (to mobilize the fluids). You can do the massage yourself.
Unfortunately, bend will not occur until the knee is less swollen.
I'm glad that you are getting the referral to pain management.
I think you should consider reporting him to the Board of Registration for his horrid treatment of you. I'd venture to guess that he has been reported before....
Please don't let him do anything else to you. Can your PCP make some calls to other OS's in your area on your behalf?
Sandy
 
Dear BrynEdGrl (wish we knew your real name!)

Oh dear, you are between a rock and a hard place, aren't you? You finally saw your OS and he gave you rubbish advice!

I think you need some advice from Josephine again: Josephine


Did you read the article that Pumpkin posted the link to? There is no such thing as a magic window of opportunity, within which time you have to get ROM (or have a MUA) or else all is lost! That is just so much BS. There is absolutely no rush to get improved ROM.

A few (very few!) people do get adhesions and MUA does help them, but your poor ROM is still far more likely to be due to swelling and overuse. And of course your 60 degree ROM would not have been helped by your fall on the stairs, which will have caused even more swelling.

Personally since your OS has been so unhelpful, his team had failed dismally in support of you so far, and he has ideas I don't agree with, I wouldn't let him near me with a 40-foot bargepole!

But that's just a personal reaction and I think you need some more reasoned advice. He's the only OS you've got just now so, before you decide what to do, I think you need to know the answer to two questions:
1. If I have a MUA and I do not have adhesions, will the MUA retard my progress? (Of course, the MUA will cause further swelling, which will give you a temporary set-back, but is it likely to cause any other, more permanent damage?)

2. If I do have adhesions, what damage (if any) will be caused by postponing the MUA? (Do the adhesions keep multiplying rapidly, or is their severity likely to be static?)

Since your OS believes in the critical window of opportunity, of course he will tell you that there is no time to be lost, and you should have the MUA immediately.

:friends:Hugs to you!

Caryl
 
You poor thing, If I was there I would have a good cry with you, then step back and try to look at the whole picture. First thing first. What about the fall? Make a list of what he did do and then another list of what he didn't do. Then I would insist a second opion. Did you call your insurance person who is helping you? I know I ask a lot of question and if I make you angry, I am so sorry. But I feel that its so important to try to stay focus. Please tell me he gave something for your pain. mmmm Something just thought of something. You fell yesterday if I remember right? You have insurance. I would go to the ER and get my pain under control and ask for a specilist for a opion. This is what I would do by now. Just a thought. Josephine Jaycey Jamie I am so confused, I can only image what you must feel like. Good thing this is a weekend. Maybe these three Angels can help. Please keep me informed. Tashia :friends: :console2: :console2: :flwrysmile:Poppet
 
You did say your pain is under control, right? Please keep us informed. No fever, right. Do you have a Chruch that you go to and talk to someone there. Also does your town have a group for Widows? Maybe they can help or just listen. Take care and turn on some nice music and just kick back tomarrow things will look better. Tashia :friends: :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Sweetie, I would try and find another surgeon. BUT, at 7.5 weeks, 60 degrees is not good no matter how much swelling there is. I agree you may have adhesions. I also think you should find a more compassionate surgeon to do your MUA. Can you ask the surgeon that did your TKR what flexation number he got you to in surgery? While I totally agree that ROM gets better with time, if you in fact do have adhesions, they should be addressed sooner rather than later. Please keep us informed .. We care dear one.
 
BEG,
Just a thought, since there is no "window of opportunity" as far as the MUA goes, why don't you try to wait until you see the Pain management dr and he what he has to say about things. Of course I don't know how long that wait might be, as I said just a thought. They don't just pass out meds without examining you first and take a really detailed history. I woild check on the PM appt with your GP on Monday. I think Tashia's suggestion soulnds good also, go to the ER and maybe they can get someone else to see you. Anything is worth the try.
 
Well, I had a four hour cry and now my eyes are too sore for anything. I have definitely made a decision and that is not to let him touch me. When I got there it was his assistant again. He gave me the typical lecture that the OS will never give a MUA before 3 to 4 months that it may cause more damage etc. He took X-rays and all looks good. I have no fever or any infection but there is surely swelling. All the progress I made was lost after the fall. I insisted to see the OS since I have never seen him and the next appointment was not until the end of March. He went and got him. He looked at the knee, said there was a very small window of opportunity and we will do it Monday! He said this happens to some patients that hold back after surgery due to fear and pain. I then pretty well lost it. Told him I had NO pain control in the hospital except for Percoset which I told him did not work. We bantered back and forth a bit and I realized he was truly not listening. He just really scared me saying it had to be done immediately and started throwing out dates to his assistant....told me it is "nothing" and started to walk out. I told him I did not trust they would manage my pain again. He said, is the Nucynta working? Well he said that will be fine. I then tried to get a new prescription since they only gave me 4 days worth AGAIN on Tuesday and they said....too soon...come back Monday. I am done...I still don't know WHY the rush all of a sudden, especially with all my swelling? I am going to try to calm down and not feel so devastated. I am going to have my GP set me up with pain management, get copies of all my things from them, and hope and pray I will find SOMEONE to help! I am so exhausted, how am I ever to feel better? I do believe, if my husband were alive, I would not be going through this. I had no one at my side and they (including the hospital) just swept me under the carpet...no one cared...at all.
 
The ER is kind of my last resort ...... our hospital even made the news. They have tents set up in the parking lot because they cannot keep up with the flu victims. :sorry:
 
BrnEydGrl.....I'm so sorry that I'm just now catching up with your situation. What a dreadful surgeon!!! You are right to give him the boot as soon as possible.

How about having your GP prescribe your pain medications for you? It sounds like that doctor is a lot more caring and interested in your wellbeing.

I agree with your decision not to have the MUA for just the reason that you give. If you are all swollen, you'll not improve things by going in and having the knee manipulated. There is plenty of time for that, if needed later.

First things first and that would be getting the swelling down. You need proper pain meds and a ton of rest, ice and elevation. Only gentle bends and stretches each day for a week or two. Your poor knee must be allowed to settle down before attempting anything that might further irritate those tender tissues.
 
You are so right, I had forgotten about the flue. When you talked to the Insurance person, Did she say she would speak for you? Because she is a professional you might get further. As would this would of happened to you if your husband was alive. I don't know. The doctor doesn't seem to me care so I would assume he would have the same attitued. We are beside you and thats a lot. Please do something for me. Close your eyes and hug yourself and image that we all are hugging you. :console2: :friends: WE Care. Tashia Please do keep us posted.
 
We care! That's the first thing I have to say.. We care very much and will support and help you through this.

I think you have made the right decision to not let this OS do anything further to you. Definitely get your notes and seek a second opinion..

This is YOUR body and YOUR right..

I think your strategy of seeing your GP and getting a referral to a Pain Management specialist is the best way to go.. But ensure that no one pushes you to the point of pain..

In fact if you have to, say to them.. 'I have had joint replacement surgery and the mentality if 'no pain, no gain' is not how I want this managed'

You have swelling, that needs to settle down.. That fluid is causing inflammation and pain and discomfort..

Stick with us, we will help you be your own advocate and strong voice with the medicos :)
 
I am truly sorry for all you are going through. Can't even imagine. I am praying for you that God will bring the right people into your life and soon you will get a truly great caring OS who will determine the best care for you. Also he will give you comfort for the loss of your husband.

I am 5 1/2 wks and also lost flexion, 113 down to about 85. So discouraging! ...But soon you will find someone you can trust and can help figure out what the problem is and fix it. Big Hug!
 
Please, please find another surgeon!! The one you have sounds like a major jerk!! Not listening to your concerns, and expecting you to live with pain!! Unacceptable!! I would not let him touch me again. You need a surgeon who will take your concerns seriously, and will make sure your pain is managed correctly. You can't heal if your body is stressed fighting pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom