TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im confused they said the OS works with you 3 months after surgrey. You are only seven week out. THats not the full 3 months to my counting. How often were you going to the PT? I know with mine it varied. But I did have good Rom except for a couple of weeks. It went down.

I know you are feeling down. I wish I could help you with by waving a wond and wishing it away. I know what you are going thru I was very depressed with two of the joints replacement. But I took the day and broke it into a hour to hour. Then I came here and stared writing. You are much stronger than you think. Just lood back and look at what you have been thru and you made it. I know it was hard but you made it. I know you also got a blow but you will make it. Being a widow is ruff. Take it from someone who knows first hand. But you take a step at a time. Before you know it you have days, months, and years. But right now focus on the day. Just the day. :console2: :friends: :console2: You just be hugged.:rotfl: You do belong to a big family and when you feel along Close your eyes and imagaine you being hug by all the angles here at the sight. Take care. Tashia
 
Did anyone ever have a ROM as bad at my 60 degrees? The swelling has gotten a lot better but it is still bruised and swollen.
My therapist has said in her whole 18 years she had never seen a knee that bad. ( the rom)
 
Are you doing more than gentle stretches? If you are doing more than that when your knee/leg/tissues are still so traumatized you could be making things worse. Is the swelling making it hard to bend? Are you icing and elevating? Try to ice, elevate, and gentle stretches. If you look at Kathy's thread, she explains how to lay on your back, lift your leg and just let it bend naturally. I've tried it, and I'm so glad that she posted it. It feels so good! Oh and think ICE.
 
Did anyone ever have a ROM as bad at my 60 degrees? The swelling has gotten a lot better but it is still bruised and swollen.
My therapist has said in her whole 18 years she had never seen a knee that bad. ( the rom)

Your therapist was very unprofessional to say that. Instead of discouraging you like that, she could have been doing lots to help you - by drainage massage and gentle therapy, for example. How dare she just give up on you at a time when you need support? Of course your knee can't bend to its full potential while it is still swollen!

What your therapist said tells me that she might have 18 years of experience, but they are not 18 years of helping people who have had knee replacements. It also tells me that she did not have your welfare at heart, but just wanted to show on paper an improvement in ROM, which would have made her look good.

On second thought, perhaps you're better off without her!

It seems as if your dud surgeon has gathered a crowd of dud people in his team - and that's an unprofessional , but heartfelt, comment from me!

Don't worry about your ROM for now. Concentrate on trying to get that swelling down. There is no magic window of opportunity during which you have to get to a certain ROM, or else all is lost. It is possible to keep getting improved ROM for at least a year after surgery.

Virtual hugs for you!

Caryl
 
I found that almost three years later my rom got better so please don't worry. I believe there is no window as long as you bend very gentle and keep the swelling down. That is the most important part. It was almost three years before my swelling went down. Remember my first knee was bad because I was in two much pain to do all the exercises. Keep trying, It does work in its time. :puppysmooze: :console2: :friends: Remember you are getting hugs from Mother Earth. Tashia
 
Thanks again. I may need to explain a bit more regarding my therapist. She suggested putting me "on hold" because she felt we were using up all of the allotted insurance...which is 50. She thought I would need them down the road when the swelling let up.She felt I could do the same at home at my own pace since it is still swollen. She was really great and too was angry at the doctor, she strongly suggested me to find someone else. It may have come across on paper different than what I actually meant. She never pushed it and did massage and just about everything but felt there was absolutely no change whatsoever in weeks. She was totally on my side,of course EVERYONE seems "guarded" and protecting there jobs.:sorry: I asked whether she had seen anything like my knee....that is when she made the comment and again encouraged me to see another doc.
OK...I have finally calmed down after a awful morning. I was coming down the steps and FORGOT the proper way and stepped down with my with my GOOD leg first and it sent me tumbling down a few steps....I think I screamed so loud they must have heard me miles away. The knee screamed too....it is pretty swollen now, I took my meds, and I am icing. My gosh, the pain was unreal.
 
I am so sorry you fell. Please please be kind to yourself for the next few days. Ice and elevate as much as possible. I hope things start looking up for you soon.
 
Scarey to hear about your fall. Take care and follow the mantra so your knee can settle down!
 
If the pain gets too bad or even worse since you fell, please get in to see your OS asap. Since your OS seems to be a jerk, maybe you can see your GP. Gentle hugs!
 
Thanks for explaining more fully about your therapist. Now I understand, I'm sorry I maligned her.

I'm sorry you fell, too. That must have hurt so bad! Poor you!

Yes, do try to get your knee checked out. Most likely no damage has been done to the implant itself, but you have probably caused some soft tissue damage. Lots of extra rest and icing seems appropriate.

Best wishes.
 
Wow what a bad day you had. You said. knee Which knee the one that was hurt. This could be a way for the knee to be seen by another doctor. Just a thought. Please keep a eye on that knee. If anything you don't like get it looked at. If your GP is helping you Why can't he send you to another knee doctor for second opion? Especially now that you have fallen. I fell after my hip and it really scared me. Please be carefull. Take care Tashia :friends: :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Yikes on the fall. I remember having a near fall when i did the same thing. Instead of an MUA it was an MWA (manipulation without anesthesia :wink: ).
I think your PT makes sense with your visits limited by insurance. Don't worry about a few degrees ROM--it can vary day to day early on.:console2:
I hope you can get some response soon.
 
Oh dear BEG! Having slipped down several steps last week, I KNOW your pain! I am so sorry. My knees are a bit newer than yours, but still all those tissues inside get so irritated. I imagine you have plenty of new swelling to boot. Let me suggest a couple of things since you are cutting back on the PT until you can get your swelling down. I have found a massage therapist very skilled in shiatsu and understanding the lymph system. If you can find someone who can work with you, working from the ankles up through the calf/shin, sides and back of the knee and up through the hip - it has made a tremendous difference in moving my stubborn swelling - especially this past week with the new rock hard swelling. And do not expect it to be totally pleasant - it can be somewhat painful, but I have seen overnight results from each of the sessions I have had. The fluids have worked hard to fill up your system - they are reluctant to move, but a good massage therapist will take the time to work the system through. BUT, like this site keeps saying, the same holds true for a massage therapist as a PT - if it hurts, have them release the pressure.

Also, I take the elevate advice here to the extreme - I grab a book, lay down on the couch and prop my leg(s) up against the wall - for a couple hours at a time. Gravity has to work then! Another BoneSmartie adjusted this "extreme therapy" by putting her head on a pillow on the coffee table, so her back/butt was on the couch and legs up on the wall.

I don't envy you recovering from the fall - it is like our worst nightmare, isn't it? You will likely feel even stiffer and lose a bit more ROM - temporarily. I know I did. But it will come back. But that is why I have resorted to my extreme therapies. Keep us posted dear friend.
 
Totally agree on the MWA! Truly screamed so loud they heard me for blocks. I called my original OS because I am now truly using up his THREE days of meds that was given me on Tuesday. I left a message, the nurse called back and said he wanted to see me today because of the fall. WOW...FIRST TIME since the original meet. I am shocked! They have not called yet but I will believe it when I see it. The nurse had to argue with me about the drugs, as usual saying you JUST GOT THEM. I said, yes, but you gave me THREE days worth and I feel by Monday I will be OUT... Every single time I ask for a new prescription I go through this since the surgery! I am so done with them. It will be a cold day in hell when I let him touch me again. My plan is this. Now that my GP is on my side, big time. I will let him manage the pain meds, since really I do not use them much anymore until now, and get my records in hand. Then I will shop around and beg. Maybe my GP can influence on the other surgeons in this area? If not, I will have to go out of the area or wait until I am three months post op. The one doctor said he would see me after three months. His nurse said they consider you post-op for three months.
Right now I am still hurting and the knee looks like it was two weeks ago. I will let you all know what happens. <big sigh>
 
I'd like to be a fly on the wall for this meeting today, if it happens! Good luck with this unfortunate situation!
 
Hope you OS visit goes well, and glad to hear your GP is now on your side.:SUNsmile:
Let us know how it goes, good luck!
 
BEG,
Just keep fighting the good fight. The aqueaky will get the grease. Please let your OS know exactly how you feel. Hang in there and things will work out, you just have to keep up the right attitude. I am going thru things with Neurosurgeons right now and it just ticks me off that Drs. think they can treat patients this way. See my thread 19 mo anniversary......... Please keep us posted we are all here behind you and anything we can think we aure will pass along.
 
I would get all the help from your GP. The GP is the one that usually does the pain meds after the OS wants to stop. I do hope you are keep all of this in a journal. After this is all over you need to go back to the journal and you then relize just how strong and neat person you really are. Right now you are trying to take on the day and do what you need to do. Later to need to relize how strong your are and most important there is nothing you cann't take on and do better than you are doing now. Life has many hills that need to be climbed and the better you do on each hill. Keep us informed for we are standing around you hill giving you all the support we can give. Tashia :friends: :console2: :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom