TKR Need Help and Encouragement, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do love the West. I think about it often, Kelly. Tashia, where did you live in the Rockies? I lived in several states at different parks. Loved Montana the most. Wyoming, where we lived in Yellowstone was pretty awesome but the weather was pretty extreme. Were you with the military? That is always what people ask me when I tell them I moved a lot.

I did not stay in yesterday, maybe I will do it today. I had to pick up meds for my mom and step dad. I still kind of care take both of them. They are in "independent" living. The community bus takes them shopping regularly and take them to the doctors but I still do pretty much.

This morning I woke up OK, but within two hours I could feel the knee "tightening" and turns to stone. It is slowly getting, not as hard...but slowly. I guess that is the swelling? I then start getting "crampy, spasms" around ankle, calf, and back of knee. I had not taken any pain meds since 7pm last night and just took two now at 10AM. I have tried a muscle relaxer, but they never seem to help. My GP prescribed them and is called Flexerol. Does anyone else use a muscle relaxer? When I called the NEW OS, the nurse said I should be on pain meds, muscle relaxer, anti-inflammatory and a Dyna Splint? Well, I am not with them yet, so I guess I will wait to see what they think about a Dyna-splint.

I was thinking of joining my rehab gym on a monthly basis since my therapist has me on hold. (she did that to help save my 50 therapies, that my insurance covers, to use when I really need it) Should I just get in the pool and do gentle stretches by myself or wait until I see the new doc's Feb 26th?

Last question. ( I am full of them today!) I need to get blood work, should I take antibiotics first? I also see the dentist this week and have purchased the antibiotics already.

OK, enough questions on this note. :heehee:
 
Oh BEG, Definately get into the pool and dont wait. There are many exercises you can do in the pool, but I found the first few times I got in, I just stretched gently and walked slowly....some days just sitting in the water felt good. Take it really easy the first time, the hardest part is the energy it takes to get to the pool and dressed afterwards. Just take it slow. Water therapy is fabulous!!
 
Hi BEG, As far as the pool is concerned, if you don't have any open sores on your knee the pool should be fine, just be careful getting in and out.
As far as antibiotics are concerned, you do not need them for blood work, you need them for dentist, which you have already, so you're good to go!:thumb:
Questions are a good thing, they help us all, so bring them on kiddo!
I have tried muscle relaxers for my neck and didn't do anything for me so I stopped.
You are only 2 months out so the swelling will be around for a bit, if not visible on the outside then on the inside, hence the stiffness feeling. This surgery is quite a roller coaster ride, I think that's way they say it's a long recovery period of 1 year to
1 1/2 years. When I watched the video of the surgery, before my BTKR, I went in with both my eyes wide opened as to what to expect! Boy, that video was graphic and it made me understand why my knees felt like they did, they got abused poor things! What I couldn't understand was why the rest of my body and my mind were reacting the way it were. I'm normally a glass half fully and a positive, look on the bright side kind of person, it keeps me from falling prey to the dark abyss, but boy it certainly was a challenge staying positive, I sometimes would cry at the drop of a hat!:skep: That feeling of not being able to do certain things for my self was not nice!
I guess what I'm trying to say is, it will get better and you will be the stronger for it, I promise!:console2: In about a month or so you'll start to see big changes and things will start to move forward at a quicker pace! In the mean time we'll be here for you, to listen and to help!:thumb:

Stay well my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
Make sure the pool is handicapped accessible with steps or ramp instead of a ladder...if it is a rehab pool it is probably just fine.......climbing up and down a ladder to get out/in the pool is very difficult and in my case not very pretty. :heehee:
 
I found that the pool makes it easier to bend so I tend to overdo and then have some soreness the next day. So take it easy, but it's definitely a great thing to do...
 
Beg we love questions. That is the only way you can get them answered. We care about you and want you to have a good recovery. I see the question has been answered about the dentist and the blood work.
I grew up in the West. In the Rocky Mountains in Colorado near Steamboat Springs. Every week end my family would go out in the county and see the beauty of Mother Nature. When I married I married a Government man, not military but worked for the Department of Roads. We got the miltary also. Loved all the moves. Mont. does have ruff weather but Colo had it ruff too. I think it comes down to if you love the place you live you will accept the weather. The fact that you have moved and not having any friends makes it ruff but I know as you feel better you will get out of the house and meet some people. You are busy with your Mother and her husband. God Bless You for Helping them. I notice you are letting the pain getting the best of you. Is there anyway that you could get ahead of it. Like taking the pills around the clock for a couple of days so you can stop hurting. How long have you lived where you are now? In a couple of weeks you will start feeling better. I notice you said that when you woke up your leg wasn't swelled and that a couple of hours later it started again. What were you doing when it swelled. I think you have a leg that swells easy and therefore be very carefull when doing things. You are doing great. You really are. I know this is a challege but you will win. Keep it up! Please keep us informed on how you are doing. Are you doing any elevating on that leg? Take care. Tashia :puppysmooze: :friends: :kittykiss: :console2: :flwrysmile: Its ok to make mistakes :bicycle2:
 
BEG, I agree and think that you should keep a journal of your knee for a few weeks. When is it swelling? And what were you doing before that? I think it will be informative to both you and your new OS.

Dyna Splints have mixed reviews. My doc thinks they are useless. If your insurance covers it, then you can try, but if you have to buy it yourself, I would save the money.

It is always good to join something that you love for a diversion. A church, a library book review club, a theater group, a quilting group, a hiking group--you get the drift. that is the easiest way to meet new people. I have worked with Wounded Warrior Project for some time---we have 8 warriors here in Whitefish right now. I am so impressed with the double amputee (above the knee) who is learning to snowboard. Puts my problems in perspective. Kelly
 
The diary is such a good recommendation. In preparation for my visit to my OS on Wednesday I have been keeping notes on my IPad which I will bring with me. Learning a lot about when I swell, what it takes to get the swelling down, how long I ice and where - I am icing more below and above knee as of lately - what activity I am doing, and how I feel after. A lot is happening to you, and retaining all the details is hard, at least is for me.
 
Great ideas about writing it all down! I should have some things written down for my new pain med doc and my new OS. In the meantime, is there anywhere that tells you water exercises? I think I will just join the rehab center after checking it out for handicap access. I am sure it does since it is only for rehabilitation and not a normal gym.
Feelin' kind of blah tonight. Tomorrow is a new day.
hugs to everyone...
 
BEG, here are some pool exercises; start with walking forwards and backwards for about 5 minutes, then step side to side across the pool back and forth for 5 minutes, then march in place raising your knees as high as you can. If there are steps, step up on the lowest step, then back down again. You can also use a noodle around your back and under your arms, while in the deep end, then make a motion like you are riding a bike, then switch to making a motion like you are cross country skiing, it's like scissors in the water.

Now caution....in the pool it doesn't feel as strenuous, and people have tendency to overdo it. Be careful and ask for help. If its a warm pool, it will feel great.

And do write down what you are doing and how you feel. It will help you and the team treating you.

Keep us posted!

Dawn
 
BRN, How was your day. I hope it was a day of low pain. The pool is good but remember don't over due it. I found I couldn't use the pool because I overdid it everytime I went in. That is ok, the pool will come in time for me. It is a trial and error thing. What some people can do is great and others can't do it. Well January is all gone and now we are in February. Before you know it you will be getting ready for your OS appointment. I found my days went faster as I was able to do more. It will happen to you when it time for to happen. Patience is the word. Please be gentle with yourself. You are doing so good. Remember to journal so you can keep a track on your recover. Take care
:flwrysmile: :puppysmooze: Tashia :kittykiss: Hugs anyone? :friends: :console2: :console2: <<<<<<HUG>>>>>>
 
If you google Water aerobics, you will get ideas. For me, I used a buoyancy beld which I wore around my waist. I would pretend to "run" in the water and that did help with my rom.

However, I also agree that it is easy to overdo in the water, so be gentle at first. Kelly
 
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Kelly, I thought of you last night while watching The Bachelor, they were in Whitefish. :)
I have been pretty "down" lately so I have not been on here. I know, that is when I "should" come on here. Nights are just so tough for me. No one to even talk to. Kinda stinks and especially when you are not feeling the best.

I know I said this before, but I just hate being in a "holding pattern." I just want a doctor, one who cares, to look at me and tell me I am going to be OK. All sorts of awful things run though your head when you have no one right there to bounce them off of. My husband was really my "touch stone." That is what we called each other.

I have been really questioning whether I should have even done this. Well, it is done. I can't take it back. I just wish I was not that "small percentage" that has it this bad.

There I go, feeling sorry for myself again. :hairpulling:

I will be glad when I can go out or make plans for the future. I still have not figured out "my life." Sounds crazy, but it is not at all what I expected. I never really had to think about it. My therapist says most of my problems are rooted in "fear." I guess she is right. From this knee.... to what am I going to do with my life. Guess it is all a bit too much for me right now. :cry: I am not one that really likes the "unknown."

The knee has really been hurting on and off and I am keeping a journal. That was a great idea. I don't see the Pain Management Doc until next Monday so I am really "rationing" my meds. My therapist thinks, and I agree, that sometimes you really don't need the medication but you just want to know it is there.

Well, back to icing and elevating....hugs to you all.
 
I can only tell you that even though my husband was here the middle of the night I felt on my own.
I was sure I had been crippled for life, that the surgeon had made a mistake and I'd never get better .
I now know it is all normal to feel like that
I am sure you are 'normal' too! Hang in there x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
& another
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
& one more for good measure
[Bonesmart.org] Need Help and Encouragement, please...
 
BEG A.K.A Sandra, I so wish I had a magic wand and could change the pain you feel in your heart! I somehow feel that the pain you feel in your heart is worse than the pain you feel in your knee! :console2: I so wish you a healing heart as well as a healing knee my friend!

I wish you the best my BoneSmartie friend, because you have been through enough! :flwrysmile:
 
BEG, hang in there! You are barely 9 weeks post-op! My OS said the knee could swell for up to a year post-op. I am 10 months post-op now and have no swelling at all.
At your stage I was still doing a fair amount of icing and elevating, and I recall the joy I had when I first got to work in my garden for a few hours. But I was TIRED! Even when I returned to work after 12 weeks I was very tired at the end of the day. That continued for a while.
Please do not despair! This is a long journey, and if I could have taken another 2 weeks off from work I would have. However, despite a setback at 4 months post-op, I truly LOVE my knee. Even now I am in awe of the things I can do again; it still delights me.
You will get there!
 
Beg, Please take a easy. I know the evening can be so ruff. One of the things I did after my Husband died was I keep music playing almost all the time. I also found turning on the tv so I could hear someone talking helped. I also know you are still not real mobil yet and that is ruff. Is there someone you can call at night? I don't know your training but maybe you can get involved with something local. Right now I feel you need to take care of yourself because you are so important to us. Please come here any time you want. Each day puts you closer to getting better. Please take care. Tashia :friends: :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :console2: :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
BEG I just read a great book called the Dali Lama's Cat---it was wonderful so inspiring. You will find your way---you need time to grieve and collect yourself---don't expect too much of yourself now. Relax, things will work out---but it will take time. Life is a journey and this is a small detour! K
 
Hugs, BEG! Things will work out the way they are supposed to, they always do! Time and patience... :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom