• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Need a friend who has been on the other side of a late infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashia

alpha
Country
United States United States
Barb, I pray that you have the doctors to give you answers and peace. I know whats its like to be scared because you don't know what is happening or pray that someone would listen to you. You will find the answer. Remember you are not alone. Please take care my friend. Tashia

tashia

alpha
Country
Barb, How are you doing. I think you said that you had a appointment, How did it go. Every time I thing of you I send you a pray. Please take care and know I care. Tashia

C Mac

post-grad
Country
Hi Barb,

I thought of you when I read this article in the local paper the other day. Just passing it along to you and Mad Rocker as well. Let us know how you are doing, when you feel up to it.

Take care,
Cardie

OP
OP
BarbieJ

BarbieJ

Country
I have not been doing well. At mayo the oral surgeon did a panoramic X-ray and saw that a piece of tooth was still in my mouth from my extraction done on January 4. I have gone to my dentist countless times and he has done countless X-rays, bite wings and single films and stunned that it was missed. He showed me the films and it does not show on any of his X-rays. The piece was the size of the cotton end of a Q-tip, but flatter. I was shocked that it was so large and was still missed. It had signs of infection around it.
I have been in unbelievable pain and no one would believe me.
My hip pain which is now in both hips and the bone pain on my operated leg goes all of the way down to my ankle. It hurts to touch my bone. So now that I have been on antibiotics it will make any blood work worthless.
I cannot tell you how much fun it is waiting for the unthinkable. I wonder how long it will take.
:headbang: :beg:

OP
OP
BarbieJ

BarbieJ

Country
Thank you, C Mac, very interesting article on myofacial pain. I have been diagnosed with myofacial pain but no one an pinpoint the source other than the hip replacement. That is the source and if there is not an infection, then I will be a monkeys uncle.
Sorry guys for not posting good news. Gosh I would just love to, but I just never seem to get a break.
I have aways told people that I felt like that character in the Peanuts cartoon named Pigpen with the dust cloud over his head. And that was before my hip replacement!

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Hang I in there Barb, you will get to the bottom of this. The body is a miracle :)

glynis

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Barbie: I'm so glad that at least one of your problems is finally being addressed. I wasn't quite clear from your post whether you have now had the leftover sliver of tooth removed. Or do you have an appointment to have it done soon? Pain in the area of the mouth is very unpleasant, and I'm sure once it's out, and your gums have a while to settle down, you'll feel much better.

I'm sure you're frustrated and angry that it had been missed for so long, but try and look on it as the start of unravelling your problems, one by one. I think you have just become overwhelmed by them, and once this is sorted you'll at least have a clearer picture of things.

The journey of a thousand miles..., as the proverb goes.

tashia

alpha
Country
How are you doing my friend? I think of you so often. The tooth problem is going to be fixed so please know its going to be better. When that stops hurting you will stop being so tense you will find youself I believe in less pain. Then you can focus on the hip. I know you will get there my friend. Please try to do something that you like to do. Take care. Tashia

C Mac

post-grad
Country
very interesting article on myofacial pain. I have been diagnosed with myofacial pain but no one an pinpoint the source other than the hip replacement.
Hi Barb,

I think that sometimes there is not one particular source that can be directly pinpointed for Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome or myofascial pain. It becomes more of a matter or trying to get the system to settle down and trying to treat some of the hot spots or trigger points if they are able to be located.

My brain is feeling rusty, are you taking neurontin/gabapentin/Lyrica or Cymbalta? If so how is that going?

I remember the part about the diagnosis of your lateral femoral cutaneus nerve being damaged and that can certainly cause a whole lot of pain and discomfort around your incision and towards the side of the hip. I think I have an issue with that nerve as well (anterior approach) and for a long time I thought it was something related to my tensor fasciae latae muscle (TFL on this graphic). I have been told that this nerve is a sensory nerve and that it can be disconnected without motor functioning suffering -- you'd want to verify that with a neurologist first though!

I hope the tooth bit is going to be taken care of and help with the dental problems!!
Take care,
Cardie

tashia

alpha
Country
Hay Friend, How are you doing? I hope this finds your tooth taken care of. Please take care and be careful. Don't forget to hug that wonderful dog. She loves you and will help anyway she can. Do know that I care about you. Take care. Tashia

OP
OP
BarbieJ

BarbieJ

Country
C Mac yes, I have confirmed lateral femoral cutaneous nerve damage from the neurologist at Mayo. I am still in dental and now ear pain. Oral surgeon doesn't see a reason why I still have pain since the piece of tooth now has been removed and appears to be healing fine. I am on amoxicillin but that thing was festering in my mouth for 6 months.
tashia and Poppet, I cherish my time right now with my family and walking with my dog. It's hard to feel hopeful. I am going to a doctor for anxiety. He wants me to eliminate the word "should" from my thoughts and words and use the word "now" often.
I had to get off of the neurontin. I was so nauseated on it as if I had been on a bender all of the time.
When I am finished with the amoxicillin, I am fearful :beg:
I have two pieces of advice for folks thinking of getting a hip replacement. I had not had a UTI for 5 years and thought I was okay to get the surgery. The stress of the surgery for anyone who has had a number of UTIs is devastating. Also, I was diagnosed with TMJ which was incorrect. I should not have proceeded with the surgery because the TMJ was a hint that I had a difficult to diagnose dental problem. I did not know that. I pray that God will forgive me and be merciful.
Wish I had good news. That is just not the case with me.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Oh BarbieJ.. Check out my new avatar... Words for you my darling....

believe you can

Hugs from down under xx

OP
OP
BarbieJ

BarbieJ

Country
Thank you Poppet, I could use a hug.
My birthday is a week away. Don't feel much like celebrating.
I am afraid all of these antibiotics are masking the real problem. Joint replacements are heaven for those that do well. But for me, I am in the opposite place, and no one should ever experience this. Words alone cannot describe it.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Barb, the body has a miraculous way of healing... It will and so will you.. We are here for you xx ((( hugs form OZ )))

Country
Barbie, you have been through the wringer and then some...feel compelled to chime in and you can feel free to chuck my suggestion in the flusher if you are so inclined. I was very anxious prior to this surgery..had had two previous joint replacements that were successful so my anxiety made no sense and was rapidly getting the best of me. Long story short, I saw a therapist who did some guided imagry with me and recommended I use some tapes at night to help relieve stress and help me get some sleep since I was taking three or more hours to fall asleep. I got the tapes and they really did seem to help and I used them with pretty good success. The surgery really wasn't smooth...almost four hours of surgery and I had to have three liters of blood to get me able to maintain oxygen levels and be able to stay awake...but I rode through the process without any anxiety...listened to the tapes in the hospital quite a bit during the five days I was there. Anyway they are all available on amazon so here are the authors if you are interested.
Belleruth Naparstek has a variety of titles. I used the preparing for surgery one. Her voice is soothing and the guided imagry was really good.
Andrew Weil I used the Sound Body Sound Mind and still frequently listen to the music part which is an hour long...when I listen at night I never hear the whole thing...it seems to knock me out in about 20 min! He has lots of different CDs and if they are similar in quality to the sound mind one any of them would help.
David Ison Ison pain management system...I have listened to this less but I think he is well thought of and also had numerous CDs.

Barbie, you are going through a rough patch...no one can snap their fingers to make it instantly go away or make you feel lots better...the only thing you have control over is how you react to it, how negative or positive you are, what your daily outlook is, what you find of value in your daily life. I know that my years of pain were helped by journaling, writing pages and pages of positive affirmations, finding a half hour of dedicated me time each day, taking a Mindfulness workshop that taught me various meditation techniques, and reading about pain management and what constant pain does to your mind and personality...I sure hope you find some relief in the upcoming days. I hope I haven't tread on your toes with interjecting my thoughts and I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Vicki

tashia

alpha
Country
Barb, I do think this is a good idea. I also have done meditation it does work. I wish I could give you real hugs but sending hugs will have to do. <<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>> Please take care my friend. tashia

tashia

alpha
Country
Barb, Happy Birthday, I think this is your birthday or close to it. I dopped by to see how you are doing. I wsh you a day of happeness and a walk with that sweet dog. I hope that you had a good 4th of July. Remember ever day does come closer to finding out whats going on. Take care my friend. Tashia

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
markbet
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom