THR Nanny’s recovery

Always remember....the day of surgery is the first day towards getting better!
 
Best Wishes for surgery tomorrow, Nanny70!
We'll be watching for your first update, ready to cheer you on.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Nannyh70
 
Hi everyone I now have 2 new hips. Had my left thr today. Still in the hospital hopefully go home tomorrow.so far all is going well felt a lot better while in recovery this time. Blood pressure is a little low but I’m told this is normal. Will update once I’m home
 
Home now feel so much better for being home. It’s safe to say no 2 hips are the same. This time round the pain is much more intense plus a lot more bruising. I’ve been icing and resting. Tried the exercise physio told me to do , didn’t get very far with them they are way to hard and cause a great deal of pain.will try again but not just yet .oh also this time I just can’t seem to sleep for long and am so exhausted but as I’ve been through this before I know there’s light at the end of the tunnel
 
@Nannyh70 You are so right that no two hip replacements are the same! Even doing both at once like I did there was one hip ( my right one) that hurt more and took longer to fully recuperate. Yes the light at the end of the tunnel is there, even if you can see it yet. Good plan to ice, elevate and rest when you can. Do keep trying those exercises they will get easier. But also wise to stop if they hurt too much. What you describe is quite normal for 3 days post surgery!
 
Every hip is its own special snowflake. My right hip was done in May and it couldn't have gone better. Reasonable pain. Quick healing. Clean incision. Everything was wonderful and by 7 weeks I started going back to the pool for exercise.

My left hip was done July 31 and lets just say I am not on my way to the pool. Not for a while.

It will be what it is. Be gentle with yourself.
 
Every hip is its own special snowflake. My right hip was done in May and it couldn't have gone better. Reasonable pain. Quick healing. Clean incision. Everything was wonderful and by 7 weeks I started going back to the pool for exercise.

My left hip was done July 31 and lets just say I am not on my way to the pool. Not for a while.

It will be what it is. Be gentle with yourself.
Oh hope you’re feeling ok and get to the pool soon.
 
Just a quick update recovery is going as expected, it’s just my sleep pattern has gone. I’m napping for about 20 minutes on and off through the night and pretty much the same during the day .im so so tired.its day 6 today and I’ve been wide awake since 3.11 am,it’s so hard because I try not to wake hubby up but it’s hard so we are now both wide awake . Anyone got any tips on getting a couple of hours sleep
 
Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after surgery. It's generally not the meds, it's... everything about the trauma, discomfort, energy drain!

Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!) - many of us sleep and/or nap in a recliner, or surround ouselves with soft pillows.

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

What finally worked for me: a mug of sleep tea with valerian followed by a 3 mg sustained release melatonin, immediately going into a dimly lit room and relaxing. When I got sleepy, turning off the light and lying down with my legs up on the Lounge Doctor. After a few hours I would wake, move the Lounge Doctor away, and sleep more.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
Last edited:
Taking my pain meds as prescribed helped me get longer periods of sleep. Sleep when your body can- I slept during the day and night whenever I could. Good luck!
 
A few more suggestions -
Pillows help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
Make up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Sweet dreams! :yawn: :sleep:
@Nannyh70
 
Hot milk in bed last night with last meds and wow. Slept from around 10ish woke to use bathroom at 2.30 straight back to sleep until 4.30 took meds and unbelievably went back to sleep til 7.00am. .feel so refreshed today , milk it is again tonight . Thank you all for your advice much appreciated
 
Oh let's hear it for life's (not-so-)small victories! :yes!:
 
Hi everyone hope you are all doing well. I’m 4 weeks in today and doing good , each day I’m able to do something new. I’m walking lots more than I was when I had the right hip replaced. The only thing is sleeping on my back as soon as I’m in bed my left leg hurts and feels so heavy and hard to lift . Has anyone else had this ? I had it for a short while last time but not this long.
 
Hi Nannyh!
Happy One Month Anniversary!
The heaviness is likely from swelling / inflammation and I wonder if you try icing and elevating before bed if you'll notice a difference and feel more comfortable.
It may also be muscle weakness which should improve as your leg heals and strengthens once again. Consider positioning yourself differently. Possibly laying on your side. Try a number of bed pillows in an effort to raise the comfort level and see if that helps.
A great weekend to you!
@Nannyh70
 
Thank you Layla I have pt today so I’m going to speak to them about my sleeping position as I’ve been told to sleep on my back for 6 weeks . I’m hoping they say I can try side sleeping as I’m 5 weeks tomorrow . I do ice a few times each day as I can still feel swelling around the wound when I sit down . It feels as though I’m sitting on a tennis ball. Apart from the heaviness at night I’m doing really well , only using one crutch and can get up and down stairs unaided even if it is like how a 2 year old uses the stairs:heehee:
 
All sounds good & that feeling of sitting on a ball is quite common.
Let us know how PT goes, don't overdo it!
Not sure why they want you on your back for specifically 6 weeks but if you can use pillows to prop you up on your side that might make you comfortable. I got used to back sleeping even though I'm a side sleeper.
Listen to your professionals for sure!
 
Pt went well I’m where I should be except they wasn’t happy with my walk without a crutch apparently I’m swaying as I walk. I’m to stop using the crutch inside but use it on walks. I’m to practice heel to toe walking .fingers crossed when I return to pt in 2 weeks I won’t have a sway
 
All sounds good & that feeling of sitting on a ball is quite common.
Let us know how PT goes, don't overdo it!
Not sure why they want you on your back for specifically 6 weeks but if you can use pillows to prop you up on your side that might make you comfortable. I got used to back sleeping even though I'm a side sleeper.
Listen to your professionals for sure!
Pt said I can use pillows and try side sleeping can’t wait to go to bed and feel comfy tonight lol
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom