THR Nanny’s recovery

Nannyh70

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all I had trhr on 29th sept 23 first 2 weeks were very miserable and extremely frustrating. I had pain but nothing horrendous only needed pain relief for 8 days. Then around the 10 day mark the tears started and haven’t stopped. I am getting back to normal each day I can do something I was unable to do the day before. I feel it’s a very slow and lonely recovery , my family have been brilliant . I’m walking around the house unaided but use one crutch when out walking. I think I’m trying to run before I can walk and am finding recovery very frustrating. I worry I won’t get back to my old self and be able to do things I used to I.e tying my own shoes and walking upstairs normally.

@Nannyh70 I definitely understand that melancholy feeling. I felt that week 2. Cabin fever was partly to blame. Not driving stinks. Once I got out of the house for a little bit, that helped.

I’m starting to feel more normal, working is helping with that. I work remote. So it makes it easier to return after 1 week. That was hard, but I know I’d go bonkers not working.

This is hip #2 for me, so I knew what to expect, and my approach to healing is different than last year. Take it slow is my motto.

I’m still using the cane, 2 weeks in last year I did not need it. I also was riding a bike, nope, not doing that. I think I took a workout class 8 days after, again, nope not doing that.

I’m letting my body heal, especially on the inside. Little by little, things are coming back. I’m still asking for help, when someone is home.

Thanks for sharing your story, it sounds like you are progressing well.

@Nannyh70 Welcome to the other side! Sorry you are frustrated. Patience is the hardest part of this process. But please remember, this is all temporary.

Post op blues are a part of this recovery I'm afraid. But the good news is they quickly ease. Please read the article below.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Heightened emotions were part of my experience. I think it is due to anesthesia, surgery , healing, etc. Your body is working very hard to heal. Take time to rest and listen to how your body feels. This early recovery is a good time to watch movies or series you enjoy. Welcome!

I think I’m trying to run before I can walk and am finding recovery very frustrating.
I think many of us were surprised by the fact that this is a long, slow recovery. Our medical teams don't do a good job of preparing us, do they? Please read through the great articles that Jaycey shared above and you'll discover that this is a "tortoise" recovery -- slow but steady wins the race.

I worry I won’t get back to my old self and be able to do things I used to I.e tying my own shoes and walking upstairs normally.
For me, having a THR was life changing. Before my surgery, I needed a cane to get to the mailbox. Once I recovered, I was able to hike and bike and climb hills unaided. By my hip's first anniversary, I would actually "forget" that I'd had a hip replacement.

So, please don't worry about recovering. It does take time, but once recovery, you will be better than your pre-surgery self! :flwrysmile:

I had several bouts of crying, depression first few months, all quite normal. And the fact that for most of us this is a pretty long recovery adds to the feeling of helplessness.
But you will get through it and trust me, yes, it's a fairly lengthy recovery but you will achieve milestones along the way. Little victories and you will celebrate those.
I wish you the best and we are here to listen.

I think many of us were surprised by the fact that this is a long, slow recovery. Our medical teams don't do a good job of preparing us, do they? Please read through the great articles that Jaycey shared above and you'll discover that this is a "tortoise" recovery -- slow but steady wins the race

Yes I really wasn’t prepared for the slow recovery , I was told all about the actual op but nothing about the recovery process which has come as a big shock. Thank you all for your kind words . I have woken up today with a much better mind frame . I’m going to take it one day at a time at my own pace

I’m now just over 5 weeks post op I have woken up today and I’m very tender around my scar and it feels like I can feel the muscle when sitting down. Yesterday I did do a bit more than I probably should have .was just wondering is this normal or should I seek advice

Yesterday I did do a bit more than I probably should have
I think you have answered your own question. You were more active yesterday and that hip is complaining. At only 5 weeks out it is still early days. Ice, elevate and rest to let this ease.

Yesterday I did do a bit more than I probably should have
I think you have answered your own question. You were more active yesterday and that hip is complaining. At only 5 weeks out it is still early days. Ice, elevate and rest to let this ease.
Thank you was just a bit worried but knew I’d probably done to much. Gonna rest up and ice

@Nannyh70 I remember all those healing sensations. If it makes you comfortable to stop what you’re doing, stop and slow down. It sounds like you are doing just that. Keep up the great progress. I can’t wait to catch up and be at week 5.

@dnordo220 hi wow you have had lots of surgeries, hope your healing well. We will all get better and stronger in time. I just need to be patient and not get ahead of myself as I did yesterday

Hi all just been for my check up with my surgeon good news is my new hip is doing fine and haven’t got to see him again for 4 months. Bad news is my left hip now needs replacing, I was a little upset about this but if it needs replacing what can I do. The only thing is I now have to go to my gp to be referred back to the surgeon because I had my 1st op on the nhs but in a private hospital. I was happy my new hip is fine but rather disheartened my left needs doing but onwards and upwards I’ve done it once I can do it again :)

Guess discouraging to hear you need another THR but if you need it might as well get it done and recover now while first hip is still on recovery journey.
All my best.

Thank you. I’ve got my head around it now , it probably won’t be until next spring so plenty time to prepare

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom