Revision THR Nanamac's story - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: This is my story

Janet

When you said you used google to get information on medical matters, i was reminded of a post by Cappy some time last year.

Its from Three Men in a Boat

Obviously the days before the internet when medical dictionaries were the norm

It brought a smile to my face! I hope it does to yours

"I sat for awhile, frozen with horror; and then, in the listlessness of despair, I again turned over the pages. I came to typhoid fever – read the symptoms – discovered that I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months without knowing it – wondered what else I had got; turned up St. Vitus’s Dance – found, as I expected, that I had that too, – began to get interested in my case, and determined to sift it to the bottom, and so started alphabetically – read up ague, and learnt that I was sickening for it, and that the acute stage would commence in about another fortnight. Bright’s disease, I was relieved to find, I had only in a modified form, and, so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. Cholera I had, with severe complications; and diphtheria I seemed to have been born with. I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid’s knee".

Keep strong, and one step at a time is surely the right approach.

I remain confident you are in for a brighter pain free future.

Dave

Please don't leave us Dave.... Made me giggle!

Reminded me when I was studying to become a Naturopath and was studying Biochemic Pyschology at the time... same thing, everyone in the class was convinced we had some sort of mental disorder..

We had a medical dictionary that I had to get rid of as it made my husband have all kinds of diseases and maladies........he was so much healthier for a while......and then he discovered Google some years later:hairpulling:

He's banned from medical googling these days:th_heehee:

Hello Janet, I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while to add my love, admiration and encouragement to that of everybody else on here. You have been through, and are still going through, such tough times. It doesn't seem fair that all this is happening to such a lovely person. But you are a strong person too, and you will come through it all, just one step at a time. There's a bunch of people here rooting for you. Don't worry about the hair falling out - it will come back stronger than before. I lost a lot of mine with chemo a year ago, but the regrowth was strong and glossy - my hairdresser said she'd never seen it in such good condition.

Oh and I love that quote from 'Three Men in a Boat' - still one of the funniest books of all time, even after over 100 years.

Love and hugs, Jane

PS re medical googling: if you must do it, use Google Scholar - that way you edit out all the rubbish. It's actually very good - it often finds studies that aren't on PubMed.

Jane,

Thanks for the Google Scholar tip...really good stuff.

Z

Thinking of you, Janet, and praying for you, too! Do what you have to do to nuture yourself - and crying is always allowed. Sometimes it is the best way to let some of the stress out :biggrin:

You are an excellent caregiver to all of us. Now is the time to focus on yourself and let us care for you :friends:

Donna

:hysterical: I remember reading that quote in Cappy's thread and laughing out loud as it is so true! My son had me take him to the ER one night a few months ago and the nurse called him Dr. Google and said to NOT do that!

However...:hate-shocked:what I Googled is the procedure that I am having done on Friday! I wish it was my imagination! But, as long as they take care with my legs, I'll be none the worse for wear :wink1:...

Thanks for bearing with me. Being off he NSAIDS is no fun for sure. I am still taking the percocet as it only has Tylenol besides the Oxycodone, but it is doing absolutely nothing for the joint pain.

Now that it is cold and damp here, my poor hands are killing me! To say nothing of my back and lower extremeties. What a terrible disease this darn OA! And having been so immobile for so long, everthing is hurting all the more!

Listen to me fellow Hippies, as soon as you get the green light to be active, DO IT! Remember the saying "Use it or Lose it !"? No truer words were spoken. And walking IS the best thing I firmly believe.

Janet, I hope you can try to relax and rest before the procedure on Friday. What exactly has you so worried about it? Maybe if we talk about it you would feel less concerned.

Hi Jamie. I am concerned about having my THR/femur reinjured OR having my hip #2 that is doing awful at the moment being injured more as it has gone to bone on bone very quickly.

I am not happy about having the procedure at all as I feel it is barabric when you think about it (yet very necessary as there is a polyp that needs to be removed) but I will get thru that, that's not what worries me.

It is being moved around while under anesthesia that scares me, as I was injured when I had a facet block before my first THR. So, that is why I am nervous...

I see.....I'm glad to hear that you aren't worried about the procedure itself. It shouldn't take all that long.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to tell your medical team about your past injuries. At least with this procedure you shouldn't be rolled around on the table. It would be more like a PAP smear and I would think with your feet in stirrups. You might even get in position before they give you the happy juice in your IV. I did when I had a D&C many years ago.

Has someone told you that you'd have some other type of anesthetic other than just IV drugs to lightly sedate you? I wouldn't think they would be needed for this procedure, as it seems to be basically like a D&C.

Jamie, I had to stop all medication (except for BP) and supplements and have pre-op testing much to my surprise, just like for my THR. If I drank, I would have to have stopped that as well. I had an EKG in September so I was ble to use the old EKG and chest xrays. I don't know what they use for anesthesia, but it sounds like general!

I am really surprised that this is so involved , even though the procedure, you are correct, only takes 15-20 minutes. I have already had a lengthy discussion with the Gyno surgeon, as she is NOT my regular doc...(she does NOT do procedures), just regular checkups, paps, etc.

I can be awake to position myself first, not in stirrups because of my THR but in thigh holders. What is bothering me now is the bone on bone pain and if I just move the wrong way, I see stars!

Even for them to remove my legs, if I am not awake, there is a very good chance the will hurt me.

Before my THR, I awoke after a facet injection, where they had rolled me onto my back and I was not able to walk as they hurt my hip. That was the start of the cortisone injection, etc, etc,. Yes, you are correct again, I should not have to be rolled at all this time.

In any event, I guess if I was feeling better physically, I wouldn't be fretting as much. Given my history, and the recent stuff going on, I'm kind of a mess.

Tomorrow I call the OS and get the ball rolling on hip #2. Just too much to think about at the moment I guess...feeling a bit overwhelmed...as with everthing else, I'll get thru it.

I understand, hon. It's a lot to have to deal with. I think most people would be apprehensive in your shoes. I'll keep my prayers going that this will go easily for you from beginning to end.

Janet, you have to remember that these people are very accustomed to handling people with other conditions and problems, it's their job. What you must do is be very voluble in stating to everyone that you have a bad back and two hip replacements that are somewhat delicate. If he does his job properly (or she!) the doctor should write on your notes in red ink that you have these problems, also on your red wrist band with the allergies and such, so no-one can be in any doubt that they have to be extra careful with you.

Having patients will hip and knee replacements and back issues is not at all uncommon and there are (or should be) protocols for dealing with them provided everybody knows!

As for the surgery being barbaric, it's one of the less barbaric procedures going. I can think of much worse, like a forceps delivery! :hate-shocked:

AWW Janet this is a lot on your plate right now but I know you will keep strong and move through this!

I agree with JO, please tell everyone about the issue of being comfortable during your surgery. When I got onto the OR table for hip #2 I made it a point to make sure they understood that during my first THR I had thigh numbness for a few months because I believe I wasnt padded enough while lying on my side. This time I have none!!!

I believe it would be in THEIR best interest to keep you comfortable.

Janet my friend, you are not a whiner! You are dealing with SO much. No wonder your hair is falling out. Worry does that!

If you have to - wear a sign "please be careful my hips hurt!". But be sure the tell everyone you see about your concern. You will probably be out but you certainly don't want to wake up with any other problems.

Hang in there Janet. One more step forward. And we are with you!

Whiner indeed! I don't think so young lady! And if you were Lord knows you would have cause with all you have been through and are still going through. I think we all just wish we could do something to help you and take your pain away as you have a big place in our hearts. Now no more talk of whining or I shall have to slap your legs with wet string! Love Bill's choice of name for your kitty, most imaginative!
Good luck for the days ahead Janet
much love
Anne xxxx

Alrighty then! I plan on being a big pain in the behind to them on Friday as I will make sure everyone knows my fears. Thanks ...

Moving right along, March 14th is the date I scheduled today for my second hip replacement! I can't believe I did it! And, if a cancellation becomes available, I am going to go sooner! Enough pain already!

And, believe it or not, I am having it done by the original OS. My feelings are that he has been there and done that to my first leg , so for sure he knows what can happen and should be a lot more careful.

I also know what he is a good OS as the hospital would not keep him on if he wasn't. The Hospital has a 1% fracture rate, and as I said before, I drew the short straw there.

So, it has to be good this time right?:feedback:

I really would like to have your thoughts on this. My decision is made, and I have my reasons why, but I would like to know what you would do in my place.

You see, this is also going to give him a chance to see just how bad my current THR leg is, once I am under his care again. I have a funny feeling I will come out of this with two working hips, by staying with the original OS.

Janet,

I agree that your doc knows you and your story like no one else. He's at a great hospital with super protocols and staffs and they will take awesome care of you...

I look fwd to you having 2 lovely functional hips! You deserve it.

Z

There ya go Janet!! Plans are in motion!!!

I understand wanting to "stay with what you know" and as long as you have FULL confidence in this OS then I would stay with him. :scratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom