TKR Nana Mo's journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work on Monday for 3 hours went fine but I was definitely ready for a nap when done. PT on Tuesday was good, no pain but I was for some odd reason exhausted when I was done and spent the rest of the day icing and begging on the couch. So bummed by night time I was in tears again. Today woke up and felt good....did some home Exercises and went to work again for a few hours. Even drove there myself.....sssshhh....don't tell anyone. Icing and couch again for me tonight. What a roller coaster this all is....what will tomorrow bring?????
 
Nana Mo, I can't believe you're back working :shocked:Of course you're exhausted sweetie. I know it's just for a few hours and you can sit with your leg up, but you also had to shower, get dressed, walk to the car, drive (shhhhh), walk from the parking lot, blah blah blah. You're only 5 weeks! I totally understand being bored to tears and with being frustrated at watching the world pass you by, but PLEASE don't overdo. It may not seem like much to you, but considering what your poor body has just been through, it's a lot! Please take it easy ....
 
Doglover is right. This is very early to return to work....even part-time. You can do it, of course. But just be prepared for that exhausted feeling and the need for naps, icing and elevation when you come home. And....as you may have found, when you work on a given day, it will likely be impossible to do anything else BUT rest afterwards. This is only temporary, but the tired feelings are real. Your body needs (and takes) a majority of its available energy for the healing process. You get what's left over to do those "optional" things like exercise, activity, chores, errands and work.
 
Jamie you are absolutely correct when you say after a brief time at work I can do absolutely nothing else!!!! I did work a whole 6 hours this week, had PT twice and yesterday I was done in! It was nice and sunny out and I wanted to do something fun just for myself but ended up just on the couch icing and napping. That was all the energy I had for fun. Keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend. My son and his fiancé are moving into a new apartment so we are traveling over to them to help. My hubby will help and I will supervise!!! 3 hour drive but I will have a cozy spot in the back seat with pillows and blankets. Luckily my sister lives near them so I can always crash at her place if it gets to be to much. So looking forward to seeing them but wishing I cold actually be useful instead of something they just need to work around. Oh well.....I will make the best of it and keep my ice and pillows handy!! Luckily I have a wonderful relationship with my future daughter in law so she won't think I am just the inconvenient mother in law!! Happy weekend!!!:dancy:
 
Its great to hear you are getting out and about. However like Josephine so eloquently says "there will be a price to pay ". As I found out on Wednesday . I thought I overdid before but that was nothing . I didnt help that I also cut my meds. Now back on Tramdol and tylenol. Sleep is much better especially when my GF is here. Which is weird . Are you going back to work , just to get out and feel normal ? Or motivated by money ? or a workaholic ?. Heck I went to my work Wednesday to say hi to my coworkers, I ended up 4 hours on Costcos floor talking with everyone and this is after PT and a lunch with a friend. The knee is obviously still in charge. I will never look at anybody with a cane or wheelchair or just wobbling around the same . This is a very humbling experience. Well Nana I hope you can find something to do this weekend. Thats easy on the knee. Keep up the great work . Patience will be a virtue
 
I think the work question is a matter of loyalty! I am a closing agent in a title company and the end of the month is always crazy busy! Next Friday our office will do 9 real estate closings and each takes about an hour. My boss is the one covering for me and she has all of her month end work to do as well. No one is pressuring me to work but I guess the guilt gets to me that someone is having to pick up so much slack for me. I figure even a few hours will help and since they have been so considerate of me and my recovery I want to do what I can to help. I guess I was just raised to be a hard worker and to give more than you get....hard habit to break especially when I am sitting here day after day just TAKING from everyone!! I will behave and not do too much....I promise!
 
Maybe it would help to try and think of it this way....your job right now is to do the best you can to recover fully so that you will be that fabulous employee when you go back. Pushing yourself to work before you have the stamina and lack of pain needed to focus properly on the important job of taking care of your clients can diminish your ability to perform well. It's much better if you allow yourself the time you need to heal properly, then go back with a fresh mind and body. Just a suggestion......:)
 
Thanks Jamie, I will keep your advice in mind!! I made the drive over to my son ok and am icing in anticipation a big day tomorrow...moving day for he and his fiance. I will be the supervisor while everyone else does the physical work. Bright side is that my wonderful big sister has promised me a pedicure tomorrow night!!!! I can't wait!:yay::dancy:
 
Survived the moving weekend better than I thought I would. Everyone took really good care of me and made sure I did not over do it. My wonderful sister gave me a great pedicure and we shopped a bit. It was actually easier to walk through the mall 5 weeks after the surgery than it was 3 months before!!! We took our time, stopped when we needed to and went home once I had reached my limit! Thought I would really pay for it today. But so far so good. Can I really be turning a corner here?? Can each day be getting better? I certainly hope so! :tada:
 
Something you said struck a chord with me. "walking the mall at 5 weeks was easier than the three months before."

I think that's why I want to return to work. Heck I waitressed for almost 3 years limping HORRIBLY in tears...but did it. Now realistically I know I am not ready yet. I just needed to hear what you said.

Be careful. Listen to your body. And hold on tight, it's quite the rollercoaster huh?
 
@Karringtyn, roller coaster is an understatement!!!! This morning was good but tonight my knee is really MAD at me. Can't get comfortable no matter what I do. Gonna spend the night on ice I think. Oh well....tomorrow is another day!!:hairpulling:
 
@Karringtyn sorry to jump on your thread to ask a question but it has been so long since I have been on I can't find mine!!! @Josephine last weekend I had a bit of a knee accident. Sitting on the floor playing Legos with my grandsons when my 14 month old tripped and landed square on my knee! Pain was intense and I have been swollen and in pain ever since. Feel like I took a big step backwards as far as range of motion goes. Feel silly calling the OS. Should I be concerned or just give it time and ice???
 
Haven't been on for quite a while because I had this false sense of security that after 6 weeks I was "all better"!! Have been back to work full time for over a month now and doing all of the routine things in life and I think it might be catching up with me! Had a knee accident last weekend....my grandson fell on my knee while we were on the floor playing Legos. I am back to icing and elevating but the swelling is still more than usual lately and pain has increased. Even limping again a bit. Never take your progress for granted!! @Josephine any suggestions? I will even take a reprimand...I deserve it!!
 
Hi @Nana Mo you need to contact your OS or GP ASAP. That does not sound exactly right. I'd be quite concerned too. I hope that you get in okay. Will you please let me know? Thank you x love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hopefully this is just a bump in the road. :console2:Sounds like you're doing the right things. You might check in with your OS if it doesn't improve or gets worse. Let's see what our wise leader, Josephine has to say.
 
Sounds like elevation, ice and rest with a few Tylenol maybe what you need. If that doesnt help , go to your OS, however implants are very durable and would take more than a grandchild to damage it. I myself, am doing great. Beyond what I imagined pre op. im still off work till June 10, my boss wants me back later than sooner. As he doesnt want me to aggravate my knee. Im ready to go and have been for quite some time. Short term disability covers everything and I keep my benefits and status at work . Well I hope you improve and we do need to be mindful of our knees , always!! . Best wishes. Iceman
 
Oh Nana, hope you are feeling better. Tomorrow I see all my grand children so I will keep you in mind and be very careful. I am 9 weeks out today and am just feeling great for a variety of reasons.

Have a good weekend!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana Mo I moved your post and answers into your own thread!
If you want to refresh your memory on finding things, check here How can I find my threads and posts?

As for your knee, I'm quite sure there is no need to trouble your surgeon. Ice is right - these knees are tough little so-and-so' and it would take more than just a fall to cause any harm or damage. However, because your internal tissues are still sensitive after the surgery, they will complain like billy-o and go into a major sulk which will include swelling so hence the loss of flexion! Apply the mantra and all will be well in a few weeks.

Also no reprimand! We all have slips, trips and falls from time to time. Now if I thought you'd done that deliberately it would be a different matter!
[Bonesmart.org] Nana Mo's journey


Sorry I didn't get back to you before - I've been a) working and b) a little below par.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom