TKR Nana Mo's journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning (well it is this side of the pond),
Sorry you didn't sleep well, but I need to be honest and say it's just like that. The night before last I had my first good nights sleep in the six weeks since I had the TKR, and I sort of hoped that things were changing, but no, last night wasn't good at all, and I was exhausted having had PT and not having a nap in the afternoon. It is still very early days for you, try to nap as much as you can during the day. I admit to never having had cold feet, over here they make us wear TED stockings for six weeks (they are compression long socks, to avoid DVT). I hate them, have to wear them 24/7 but I suppose they do keep our feet warm. xx
 
My Teds have gone told me 4 weeks and that's tomorrow ,, relief xx
 
Yes you did read it right 1 month post op, beggars can't be choosers I suppose !! It's all free over here for me so I'll just do my little bits of PT at home and wait had a good day yesterday got some good movement in the knee I'm up and down the stairs maybe 10 times a day walking around with a crutch and some times with out! Just depends on the old honey and bees ( cockney slang for knees). I'm tacking it easy today resting and icing as the knee always plays up after a busy day. But going back to a BUBBLE bath all I done was to buy a rubber bath Matt fill the tub up just over half way with piping hot water then add cold and slowly get myself in!!! I hang my op knee just out the water it is heaven have one just take care!!!! Rules are meant to be broken! Well my rules are and by me .xxx:snork: Mind you I'm 15 days post op now.
 
Sometimes trying to sleep in bed soon after TKR can obviously be a challenge. I found with my LTKR I "slept" better in a recliner.....I was fortunate with my RTKR to be able to "sleep" in bed. Also waking up at the regular intervals as you mentioned is quite common, was for me anyway. Give the recliner a try if you have one available. I found I disturbed my wife less when in the recliner since I wasn't constantly trying to get comfortable.

You are doing good, it's just hard to see as you continue this journey!
 
Read and reread the BoneSmart Articles that Jamie sent you - they are very informative. If you need more information, you can: go to the BoneSmart Library, which is located at the top of the webpage on the grey bar; read some of the members' individual recovery threads; ask us a question. BoneSmart members love to help.

It is normal to have sleep problems. It will take a little while for you to learn how to sleep with your new knee.

"My doctor is definitely a fast track kind of guy with surgery at 10:30 on Thursday the 13th and out the door on Friday the 14th at 9:30 and my first PT appt on Monday the 18th."
This is a very traumatic surgery. You need rest and your body needs time to just heal. Don't let the PT hurt you - if it hurts, don't do it.
 
I am not a fan of sleeping pills. Either taking or prescribing them. However, I have taken a Tylenol PM (Benadryl 25mg) prior to bed with great results the last 2 nights. Last night right after Arizona finally beat Utah in double OT 11PM until 4:45 straight thru without awakening! Amazing how much better sleep makes one feel. I still cannot get comfortable with my knee when I am on my sides however
 

  1. Wow, this really is a yo yo adventure isn't it. Yesterday started out good and then went quickly downhill and the night was horrible. Went to therapy today and was crying when I got there. My PT laughed and said she usually has to touch someone first to get that reaction! She was wonderful and spent the first 15 min just massaging my knee/leg which felt wonderful and really calmed me down. I think I got a winner! I am one week post op today and my ROM is already 88. Everyone seemed pleased. Then I spent the next 3 hours fighting with my insurance co to get my prescriptions approved. They actually wanted my doctor to call them to tell them why he thought I needed what I was on. I think the got a very graffic description....fingers crossed as my hubby is of to the pharmacy to pick up my refills. Guess we just need to wait and see the you oils up or if it is down!
 
Brain doc, I tried a Benadryl this afternoon since I was having a bit of a heat rash on my back from all this laying around and I had a great nap. Coincidence?? Who knows but it did feel god.
 
Hi Nana Mo and welcome to the forum ... Your knee is so new and all the ups and downs are pretty normal I think. Glad you have had a great nap. Everything always feels achievable and bearable after a good sleep. I must admit I have been very lucky with sleep and have managed to sleep quite well since the op - but I do wake every 2 hours, but it is my bladder that wakes me. So out I get, lurch into the en suite, lower myself down onto the seat, level myself back up gain, lurch over to the sink, wash my hands and lurch back to bed. Usually I manage to go straight back to sleep. Still I guess it is better that my bladder wakes me or I would be washing a lot of sheets. :whistle:

And you are quite right - it is a yo yo journey or a one step forward, 3 steps back dance, but eventually you will be doing more forward steps than backwards and your yo yo will only go yo.

So glad you have what seems to be a great, understanding PT. I too am a grandmother and Sebastian (3 in March) is the light of my life. I have struggled out of the recliner since the early stages whenever he asks me to 'come wif me Nana" or "Let's chase baddies".

I wish you all the best in recovery Nana Mo and hope you have more ups than downs and more steps forward than back.

Take Care and Be Kind to Yourself ... Ellen
 
One week and a day post op and I think I am doing ok. Slept better last night, still up every three hours for meds but I was not watching the clock waiting for the meds! Therapy today went well and after my waterworks display yesterday that is good for all! My knee stil has understandable pain but what is giving me the most discomfort right now is my upper thigh. Feels like a charlie horse. Wonder if it is from being up in the air all the time.
Excited for the weekend...get to see all of my kids at my grandsons 4th birthday party. Hoping for some good laughs to help pass the time!
 
Had a rather good weekend with all of my children home. Girls took my toe polish off and lotioned my legs for me which felt really nice. My grandson look advantage of snuggling in my bed with me so he could watch movies when ever he wanted to and I am sure my husband enjoyed the break from being the primary pillow fluffier and water refiller! Very tired now but surprised that I went over an hour past my med time and didn't even realize it. Is this a sign that I can ease up a bit or just a lucky break for a moment. Oh we'll...I will take whatever it is. Should have done my exercises a bit more but just enjoyed the visit. I will buckle down tomorrow!
 
Great news so far , amazing thread. Keep up the great work. Im a couple of day ahead ang feel very fortunate at my progress thus far but a word of caution, it ddoesnt take much for your knee to swell up internally. Than things get difficult. So just take your time . Bye
 
Monday morning and I wake up with a terrible case of the blues! Tears just won't seem to stop. Pain is manageable and I get around ok and I know that my "job" is to rest and recover but I just feel so useless! The world is turning and I am just laying here in bed struggling to want to get up and brush my teeth. I am afraid this is going to be a long day!
 
Nana mo, it is ok to feel down and blue! You have lost, TEMPORARILY, control over many aspects of your life. Practice some deep breathing and positive mental imagery of your lovely family and friends. Look to the future when you will be able to be with them and get around without that stupid knee pain! You will be ok
 
@Nana Mo
I cried so much during the first few weeks, I just added it to the "Mantra" Cry when needed.
I always felt so much better after a good :cry:I told my husband & kids just let the tears flow.
I think it also has to do with "Pain Meds." At least with me it did.
Sunny Days are ahead.....:SUNsmile:
Feel better,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Nana Mo ... so sorry about the blues. I think they are invevitable in some form or other and although I am 19 weeks this week, still have a good old cry - mainly out of frustration I think. You are just 2 weeks post op and, without scaring you, I would like to say you will have probably lots more crying jags. Sometimes they are very therapeutic and leave us feeling a bit emptier, but calmer, at the end. Medication also does play a part.

Please DO NOT feel useless. :no-fin: Right now you are not useless - you are doing the best thing for your knee and that is recovering it - a big job in itself. Recovering it at the moment may mean being in bed or a recliner or chair and just elevating and icing and taking meds with a gentle little bit of exercise, but that is what is necessary. It is so hard when we are used to just getting up and getting on with things. I know for me, that I have only cried from pain once since the operation, the rest of the times were with frustration and a burning desire to just be normal me again (well, as normal as I ever got :loll:) As braindoc said, it is also the loss of control - we who are used to doing everything for ourselves and for others, now need so much doing for us, and believe me it is a testament to your strength if you can accept this and let it happen.

Despite not having enough bend, I am pretty much independent again now and when I think that I am 59 years old, with hopefully, maybe 30+ years left, this has pretty much been a speck in my journey. (Boy, can I talk the talk - now all I have to do is walk the walk :heehee:)

I do not mean to make light of your feelings Nana Mo and I sincerely hope that a good crying session will help, rather than hinder you. Maybe it will help to go back and read the article on the post-op blues.

I will be thinking of you Nana Mo and hoping that you can find some peace in your recovery.

Take Care ... Hugs ... Ellen
 
Thanks everyone....guess I was just having a bad morning and it felt good to vent and reaffirm that I am not unusual. Got my butt moving and actually had a good therapy session. Was exhausted after it however but came home and had a GREAT nap.....something that had escaped me over the busy weekend. Maybe I was just tired and didn't realize it and it felt nice to be tired in a different way...not just from meds!
 
Had my first official post op doctor appointment and it went very well! My ROM is 96 and he is very pleased with that and I can almost straighten to zero...he didn't measure...said he can eyeball that pretty well and since I usually hyperextended he didn't want to see me push that one and go too far the other way! I am going to try and wean off of the OxyContin over the next 10 days or so so hopefully I will not need a refill on that. Overall I have to say I am very pleased with the day. I am still really tired but have no problems putting my foot in the air and icing a ton! Last week this time I was wondering what the heck I had done to myself:umm:
 
So frustrating.....yesterday was such a good day. Good pain levels, good dr apt felt comfortable all day, DIDN'T to anything more than other days and yet had an awful night! It wasn't even the actual knee that was giving me difficulty but the thigh. Kind of feels like it is rebelling from lack of use. I vaguely remember this feeling from my ACL surgery but not at this level. Didn't like ice, didn't like heat,, too many pillows then not enough pillows.....AAAAGGGGHHHHH :gaah::hairpulling: Hope today goes better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom