TKR Nana Mo's journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
So frustrating.....yesterday was such a good day. Good pain levels, good dr apt felt comfortable all day, DIDN'T to anything more than other days and yet had an awful night! It wasn't even the actual knee that was giving me difficulty but the thigh. Kind of feels like it is rebelling from lack of use. I vaguely remember this feeling from my ACL surgery but not at this level. Didn't like ice, didn't like heat,, too many pillows then not enough pillows.....AAAAGGGGHHHHH :gaah::hairpulling: Hope today goes better!
@Nana Mo, that is what I hate. The thigh pain!! Knee hurts some here and there, my thigh feels like someone took a bat to it over and over again!
 
@braindoc, sorry to here you have the same pain but then again I am glad it is not just me!!!:heehee:
 
Wow the blues had hit me hard today! Honestly don't know if I can take one more day laying here elevated, iced and channel surfing. So tired of being tired and hate this crying thing. I JUST WANT TO DO SOMETHING!!!! Feel bad for my husband who tries so hard to cheer me up but I know he wants to have a productive weekend and not just entertain me!
 
What you need @Nana Mo is a brief excursion away from home---but weather may certainly be an issue for you in Wisconsin. And I do mean brief---like a quick trip to Starbucks or something similar. Just a change of scenery for a bit will shake things up and give you a change.
 
I noticed when I feel crummy I take a nice warm shower , brush my teeth , put deoderant on , moisturize and slap baby powder where the sun dont shine. Get dressed. Walk around the corner , take deep breaths and thank the good lord above. Walk back home , grab ice packs , snacks and get comfy with elevation. Watch tv. Heel slides, leg legs etc. I usually feel iinvincible and like a million bucks after that. Best of luck
 
A lot of thigh pain could have been caused by the tourniquet used during surgery to limit blood flow . It may last for several weeks . When I first came home from the hospital, my thigh hurt more than my knee .

Rick
 
@icep707 I would love to take a walk around the block but did you notice I live in Wisconsin??? We got more snow last night and hubby is out blowing and clearing what the plow left us as well. Thanks for the suggestions though....I love the baby powder image!

Rick, the thigh pain is actually what is causing me the most grief right now along with the hip joint. The knee feels better elevated but then the hip hurts....if I lay with the leg down and straight then the hip is relieved and the knee gets angry.......oh the vicious cycle.

Thanks for the support everyone. It will get better I am sure...was just having a bad moment.
 
My apologies ! I didnt think to look at your location. As for the moisturizing and baby powder rountine ive been doing that for decades. Most of my girlfriends always get a laugh out of that.:loll:
 
Decided I needed an outing today to get over the blah feelings so asked my wonderful hubby to please take me to Target! I didn't need anything but I thought it would just be nice to see other humans. Nice sunny day for a car ride! Have been using a cane at home but think I should have used the walker to navigate the icy, snowy, parking lots...will remember that for next time. Got in the store and got myself my traditional shopping soda, grabbed a cart and headed down the main aisle. Well I made it half way through the store before I started to wonder now ridiculous I would look riding in the cart! Finished the lap of the store, grabbed my toothpaste and headed for the checkout. Now my sisters and I are MARATHON shoppers. We can go all day and then some more again the next so to only be able to make it less than ten minutes was a bit discouraging.....but at least I did it. Maybe I can go two laps next time!
 
Really paid for my Sunday trip out. Guess it was a bit too much too soon and as a result Sunday night was horrible. Spent all of Monday elevating icing and doing nothing else. However I did have the best night sleep last night! Went to bed at 10 and got up around 1 for more meds and then slept until 7:30 this morning! Live and learn I guess!
 
Well, y'know what? There really isn't too much harm in testing things from time to time. As long as you bear that lesson in mind - there is a pay back to be made afterwards! Just plan and/or expect it and all will be well. Also don't expect to be able to do this more than once a week until you're about 3 or 4 months out!
 
So I decided to see if I could cut back on my pain meds and after 2 days I decided the answer is NO!!! My dr had suggested that I go from every 3 hrs to every 4 and that went well so then I thought maybe I could go from 2 pills at a time to 1. I tried that on Monday and Tuesday and by the end of Tuesday night I was so uncomfortable, and couldn't get into a good position but it didn't really dawn on me that it was the decrease in pain mess since I really wasn't " in pain" but just restless and could not get comfortable. So yesterday I went back to the 2 pills at a time and had a GREAT nights sleep. Slept from 11-4 and then again from 4 -7. Maybe I slept well because my sister came for a surprise visit but I doubt it. She went to therapy with me today and I had a great session and all of us laughed through most of it...including my PT....oh what a good nights sleep can do for you. My extension is already to zero and I am at 117 ROM at exactly 3 weeks today. Now...can I have another good night? Keeping my fingers crossed. :dancy:
 
I hope the blues are going bye bye. You DO need an excursion out....I have found that doing pt now and getting out has changed my whole attitude. I am so much happier and look forward to doing things. Oh the thigh pain.....that HURTS! I agree...I have felt that...it has started to go away in the last day or so...but I remember it well...I couldn't even sit with my elbows anywhere near my thighs....
 
What are you taking that helps you with sleep . ?????????????????? Im not in pain but I watch tv till 3 am and wake up around 7 am . 530 am med call and a urine break in between . So not much sleep . Ive been real concerned about my flexion , my extension is 0. My flexion is low because I basically do soo much in a day . For example today I drove to pt, than to Ross dept store than to safeway . Yesterday was even busier. Surprisingly enough pain has been relatively low . Flexion low . The old bending full water house syndrome. Even my PT said to slow it down !! Oh well im a hard head . Best wishes.
 
I was so uncomfortable, and couldn't get into a good position but it didn't really dawn on me that it was the decrease in pain mess since I really wasn't " in pain" but just restless and could not get comfortable. So yesterday I went back to the 2 pills at a time and had a GREAT nights sleep.
That is a very interesting statement Nana Mo.....I am going to remember this incase I'm tempted to do the same thing!! THANK YOU for sharing that information!!!
Hope you are having a much better day today!
 
@icep707 I am not really sure what I am do to get the sleep except with my last meds right before bedtime, between 10-11 I add one Tylenol PM. I them read for about 15 just like I did in the past and try really hard to turn the light off BEFORE I fall asleep. If I fall,asleep while reading I get the nasty cycle of read, fall,asleep, jolt awake and then try to settle I and that never works! Had another pretty good night last night. Lights out at 11 and made it to 3. Took more meds and slept until 6:30. Last few hours were a bit restless but I will take it! Hope you get to sleepy land sometime soon. And you answered your own question about your ROM....you are doing WAAAAYYYYY more than I do in a day. I do not drive yet and my outing of the day is PT and then maybe a quick lunch out. Then back to the couch and ice for me. Now that I am sleeping at night I can stay awake when I read during the day and that has made a huge difference since I love to snuggle in and read!
 
Ok....I am through week three and moving into four and I have decided it is time to stop having this place look like a recovery zone! Hubby and I took the sheets off the bed and tossed them in the washer and remade the bed.....actually MADE the bed. First time in 3 weeks. I have a cart that I have been wheeling around from bedroom to living room and I decided to streamline that as well. Put my meds in the medicine cabinet....I can make the walk to get them if I need them and now it just holds my ice machine and towels, reading material, phone and remote. I can still take it easy and do the ice and elevate without feeling like everything needs to be at my fingertips. Hoping that by making this look normal again I will start to feel more " normal" again! I never like clutter anyway so it was definitely time! Time to get moving AHEAD!!:yahoo:
 
Question for all my bonesmart buddies out there. Does anyone else have a problem with " the blues" being worse on a weekend? During the week I am ok with knowing that the world is out there working and continuing on but on the weekend I feel like I am missing out on fun. I am better when my hubby is gone at work then when he is out in the garage puttering around on a project. I miss weekend fun! I miss shopping for fun! :hairpulling: I just want to DO something besides ice and elevate!

Ok..there I vented....thanks for listening:thankyou:
 
Going into week five and I decided it is time to give work a try. Going to go in for a few hours to test the waters so I can get a plan for going forward! Soooo tired of just sitting around watching TV and playing on a computer!!! Wish me luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom