Guest viewing is limited

TKR April 2022 TKR right knee

Hi @JojoFitness
Hope your physical wasn't too bad. I hate those fasting blood tests. You get so hungry, you start to feel nauseous!
I hope your appetite returns soon and you are able to eat more than dry crackers.
I also still have pain; more like a bad toothache in the knee, if you know what I mean. I think, if I could take Diclofenac, I'd feel more comfortable but it just upsets my stomach too much. So, like you, I am only really on Panadol (Tylenol, I think, is the same).
However, I am not worried in the slightest. Bonesmart has taught me to just relax and not be bothered. Everything is healing in its own time.
My flexion is at 118 and the physio said that's more than adequate. She's given me a step which I must use, stepping up with the operated leg and down with the other one. Then I must do it sideways. It's surprising how much discomfort this causes so I only do it twice a day, ten repetitions. The only reason I persist is that I want to be able to climb my daughter's staircase and my house has no stairs at all for practice.
I hope this is not out of order, but I wonder if you're a regular gym goer? A very good friend of mine is super fit and exercises (running) for hours every week. She fell and broke her wrist very badly, ending up with a six hour operation and a wrist full of hardware. Coming down from her "runners high" meant she was very anxious, depressed and upset. She didn't understand why she felt so bad and needed sleeping pills for the first time ever. I explained about the exercise endorphins and how her body was probably in a bit of shock, when the exercise stopped for many weeks.
I'm not for a minute saying this is you, but if you're used to a lot of exercise then have to cut back drastically, it can affect you and make you anxious.
If you feel this might apply to you, rest assured, as soon as the knee heals you will be back to your old self. My friend isn't running nowadays but has bought a semi recumbent e bike and spends hours cycling all over Queensland! She's got her top level of fitness back, too.
 
Hi and thank you for writing. Congrats on 118 flexion. We are both getting there!
You’re spot-on about exercise endorphins. We have a small bedroom outfitted as our personal gym, with an elliptical, Peloton, weights, stepper, bands, etc. I’ve never been a runner or as active as your friend. But in my 50s learned the importance of weight training and I enjoy it.

That being said, I have had - not dark days - but some dark HOURS in the last 5+ weeks. I missing so much fun and that’s not easy for me . But I’m sleeping well. Besides pain I wake up nauseous every morning so am consuming lots of Saltine crackers! Anyway, good luck to us both!
 
I’m sure we have good times ahead! I, too, am frustrated and want a holiday sooooo badly I could scream. Our government had us in so many lockdowns since 2020 and it’s starting to wear thin, being at home. We had planned to go away before my surgery but floods put a stop to that.
Never mind, let’s have a drink and toast each other for getting this far!
 
I’m sure we have good times ahead! I, too, am frustrated and want a holiday sooooo badly I could scream. Our government had us in so many lockdowns since 2020 and it’s starting to wear thin, being at home. We had planned to go away before my surgery but floods put a stop to that.
Never mind, let’s have a drink and toast each other for getting this far!
I hear you! My husband and I have plans with friends to travel to Scotland this fall, and I can't wait. Hope things don't shut down again here - or there - so we can go.

Okay, I'm toasting to us both (with my morning coffee ;) for getting this far in our recovery!
 
We absolutely love Scotland @JojoFitness . Have been there a few times and it never disappoints. Just now, though, the thought of a 25 hr flight is too daunting.I have the feeling, here at least, the lockdowns are over for good. Hope that applies to your country too.
Just going to make coffee!
 
We absolutely love Scotland @JojoFitness . Have been there a few times and it never disappoints. Just now, though, the thought of a 25 hr flight is too daunting.I have the feeling, here at least, the lockdowns are over for good. Hope that applies to your country too.
Just going to make coffee!
Interesting that you've been there more than once! Good to know you love it so much, thanks. I'm so glad our flight will be a lot s shorter than 25 hours. Yikes!
 
Yes, we are so far away from anywhere. We usually fly via Seoul, stopping overnight there then flying over Russia to the UK . Wouldn’t want to go that way now. We have friends in Cornwall UK so we visit them then drive all over Wales, Scotland and England for a month at a time.
Sadly, with the world the way it is just now, I think we’ll stay in Australia for our holidays.
Hope you get up into the Highlands of Scotland. Loch Ness is lovely.
 
Today was a great day - I saw my surgeon for the first time, and will be six weeks out tomorrow.
He's very happy with my gait, my progress, and his work ;) He answered tons of questions, is happy my extension is perfect and my flexion is 115 or so. He said it will improve with time and he's not concerned at all. I'll see him again in six weeks. After, my husband said, would you like to drive home?? And I said, YES!! I'm so ready for independence. And I'm sure he's tired of chauffeuring me around! Just wanted to see the amazing X-ray from today for myself, and hear my surgeon give me a completely update on my progress. Feeling so thankful... Time really is the the healer! Tomorrow I'm going to start easy workouts in a pool, and continuing home PT (and once a week PT at his office). Cheers to all!
 
@JojoFitness That’s a great report for 6 weeks!

You posted that update in the April surgery team thread, so I’ve moved it to your recovery thread. We prefer just surgery date information in the monthly threads.
 
@JojoFitness That’s a great report for 6 weeks!

You posted that update in the April surgery team thread, so I’ve moved it to your recovery thread. We prefer just surgery date information in the monthly threads.
oh sorry! I have so much trouble finding the correct threads. thanks!
 
@JojoFitness that’s a fantastic report! Well done, you must be feeling so happy!
My turn next Tuesday…
thank you! Yes, I am happy. My PT experience has been really good and I like my therapist. She's pushed me harder than I would push myself and it's made a big difference. But I don't let her go too far, and it has worked great. Also after yesterday's appt with surgeon and seeing the very cool X-ray (!) I feel more confident and less worried about the pain/discomfort. I understand it better and don't worry that something my be wrong. Thank you, God.
 
Such a great update after a reassuring visit with your surgeon on the progress your making. You‘re driving again also! :driver:
Happy Six Week Anniversary! Enjoy the rest of the week.
@JojoFitness
 
Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Also, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box, mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
Question - at 6-1/2 weeks, yes, I'm doing much better and have gone out for a few meals this week. But, after a 20 minute car ride, sitting in a chair at a restaurant is VERY uncomfortable. I have to rest my leg on another chair. And then I have to put it down, and I alternate positions every 15 or so minutes. Is this normal?

I feel the most pain-free when I'm walking (still slowly) and feel no pain when walking. YAY! But sitting is just miserable even after a short time. Gosh when does this get better? I'm trying to get out more for my sake but mostly for my husband's as he's very social and has taken good care of me. I'm trying to be a good partner for him! haha (Extension is flat, and flexion is now 120, so that's not the issue...)

@Jockette - I apologize if this is the wrong thread again. I still can't tell ;(
 
@Jockette - I apologize if this is the wrong thread again. I still can't tell ;(
You posted correctly, in your own recovery thread! You can tell you are in your own thread because your post will have a darker background. Others who respond to you will have a white background to their posts.

You might want to consider changing the title of your thread, and put your username in it, that might help you find it more easily. Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?
sitting in a chair at a restaurant is VERY uncomfortable. I have to rest my leg on another chair. And then I have to put it down, and I alternate positions every 15 or so minutes. Is this normal?
Yes, this is very normal and might last for a few months.
 
Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:

But, after a 20 minute car ride, sitting in a chair at a restaurant is VERY uncomfortable
While I had a hip replaced, as opposed to a knee, I found the confined space of a car maddening for several months post op. Combine that with sitting at a restaurant which isn’t always the most comfortable anyway and its not surprising you felt like you had to change positions every 15 minutes.
I feel the most pain-free when I'm walking (still slowly) and feel no pain when walking.
As they say - Motion Is Lotion which would apply to both of these quotes. The PT at my surgery site reminded me of that…which I thought sounded silly until I realized it’s true.

Hope you have a great weekend!
 
I have to rest my leg on another chair. And then I have to put it down, and I alternate positions every 15 or so minutes. Is this normal?
You bet it is normal. I had to elevate my leg on another chair or the other side of a booth for at least 4 months. Up and down, up and down went my leg to keep my knee happy. As Layla said, "Motion is lotion". That is so true as long as it's not too much motion! Your knee will let you know when it's too much or not.
 
I have to rest my leg on another chair. And then I have to put it down, and I alternate positions every 15 or so minutes. Is this normal?

I do this all day long. In fact, I am doing it now as I sit at my desk. Maybe 30 minutes with my leg up and straight, and then 10 minutes on the floor with my foot on a half-round foam thing I got from Amazon. Rinse and repeat. Like Sistersinhim mentioned, it is kind of very slow motion therapy. Its the most comfortable I can be short of going back to bed.
 
Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:

But, after a 20 minute car ride, sitting in a chair at a restaurant is VERY uncomfortable
While I had a hip replaced, as opposed to a knee, I found the confined space of a car maddening for several months post op. Combine that with sitting at a restaurant which isn’t always the most comfortable anyway and its not surprising you felt like you had to change positions every 15 minutes.
I feel the most pain-free when I'm walking (still slowly) and feel no pain when walking.
As they say - Motion Is Lotion which would apply to both of these quotes. The PT at my surgery site reminded me of that…which I thought sounded silly until I realized it’s true.

Hope you have a great weekend!
thank you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom