BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] My Summer Recovery in California

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ShellKay13, Jul 1, 2019.

1. ShellKay13

ShellKay13 junior member

United States United States
    I know there will be lots of various aches and pains after surgery. Has anyone else noticed their opposite foot, mainly my big toe joint, hurting?? I'm sure its how I'm walking but man lately its bothering me. It worries me as I know my mom has arthritis in her big toe joint and just hope that isn't already flaring up in me!

2. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Try hiking poles instead of the cane. I found I walked more normally and my hand did not hurt from using it. It really helped me get my walking down and balanced between the two legs instead of leaning to one side - some of this is the new hip and some the habit from pre op.

• Like Like x 5
  3. ShellKay13

ShellKay13 junior member

Just a quick update....I'm now at 6 1/2 weeks. The last few days I've pretty much completely gotten off the cane. I limp slightly when I first start to walk but after a few steps its pretty darn good. I did a ton of walking Sunday as we went up to a local amusement park, Santa's Village (so cute!) I used my cane since I would be on my feet all day, but did great and was not sore after, YAY! I did however stay off the zip-line and climbing wall LOL (but I DID do the tomahawk throwing!) :eyebrows:

I've been back to the gym, doing the bike with tension added and the elliptical. Felt great, and the only thing that was sore afterwards was my left non-surgical hip which will need a THR at some future point. My total workout time has been just between 30-40 min right now.

I saw my OS today. I'm happy to report that he cleared me to get pedicures ;) He also confirmed that I can skip formal PT. Since I am self-motivated and back in the gym on my own he said its fine. I'm glad, because I did not enjoy PT before....felt like they pushed me beyond what my body could handle and it always took days to recover. He said there are no specific exercises or stretches needed, just continue to work to regain strength in my surgical leg. He also looked at my incision and said its ok to be in a pool at this point as well. The scar is a bit hard so he said to rub it some and it will soften over time. I do have just a bit of pain still in my knee on the surgical side, as well as my foot on the other side. I hope those pains subside over time as my gait continues to improve.

Anyway, I know its not an exciting update but I just wanted to maybe give some hope to those a few weeks behind me that are perhaps frustrated. It seems just in the last few days my leg/hip is returning to normal function in huge leaps and bounds. And, like I said, other than the few PT sessions at home, I haven't done much, just normal activities, using my stairs, nothing special. The one thing I will definitely wait on though is walking my dog (he's not small!). Every once in awhile he pulls me pretty good and I definitely don't want to twist or fall.

• :flwrysmile::egypdance:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Fabulous news! Ahhhh, Santa's village! I remember going up there when I was a little girl, can't believe it's still there. But there was certainly no zipline back then!! Great to hear you getting out and enjoying the summer. Its amazing the difference a week makes. :wow:

• Friendly Friendly x 1