Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

Hi scaredinCA I'd be very afraid of what I might find down there as Himself has been doing most of the heavy housework!:yikes: new knee in JuneDust bunnies may have turned into man eating monsters in this house!
wanda
 
My dust bunnies have been known to attack my housecleaning fairy!
 
A "faff" is a word from Britain (common in Northern England) which means a bother/more trouble than it is worth
:thumb:

Mostly I use English slang to bowdlerise Very Rude Words. This, funnily enough, is the exception.
 
Bowdlerise? Never heard of that either. :umm: Are you sure you are speaking english? :heehee:
 
Roy I stand corrected! I should memorize that word because :heehee: there have been many times I've wanted to let fly some words I know wouldn't be appropriate for all eyes on this forum.
 
I don't believe these guys who claim to have such speedy recoveries, at worst they are insensitive and boastful
or, perhaps, they are trying to show that success is possible.
and at best they are jinxing themselves.
Jinx? Mine's still going OK.
This is a miserable recovery that taxes relationships, finances and ones outlook on life.
The first two are IMO true; my dear wife maxed the test beyond belief, and my insurance company paid. My outlook on life is -- all my friends tell me -- vastly better. I am no longer a PITA. Small mercies.
 
I must be a real dummy because now I'm asking what a PITA is?:umm:
 
Oh I get it, duh.... I know what pita bread is, but I thought you ment something else and you did. :heehee:
 
Love this thread! Getting ready for my own BTKRs and I am so interested in the floor how will I get down there and up! Love the linguistics lessons faff, P.I.T.A and bowdlerize ... ScaredinCA you inspire me!
 
Today I missed physical therapy due to a stomach bug. Why do I feel so guilty?:heehee: I actually felt guilty most of the day today. I felt like I was setting my recovery back another step. Felt like my ROM would be worse the next week when its time to go again. So I have done more exercises at home today to make up for it. This knee situation can really play with a persons mind.:heehee:
 
Hang in there ScaredinCA!! Missing one PT will not change the world. On several threads I have seen people post about their "kneecations" where they chose to take a day or week off from PT. You need your strength to get over the stomach bug. The day after my PT sessions I hardly do anything except ice and elevate. When I slowed things down my ROM actually increased more.
 
:iagree:. And if you want you can do zillions - or a few - stretching exercises at home. No pain, of course.
 
Are the muscles and nerves cut during surgery or are they just moved out of the way when getting to the knee/leg bones? My cousin insists the muscles are not cut during surgery, but I on the other hand, believe they are cut as are the nerves. Who's right?
 
I'm not a medical expert but let's tag Jo for comment Josephine! She's seen plenty of these!
 
It depends partly on the type of TKR. There are different soft tissue approaches. But if you've ever cut up a raw chicken, you can see it would be impossible to do a joint replacement without cutting through muscle and cutting nerves. The nerves that get cut are strictly local. My ortho explained the midline incision you can see is through skin, and once retracted, a deep incision to the joint was made on the inside of my knee.
 
My cousin said (which I believe is wrong) that if you cut the nerves next to the knee and didn't sew them back together they would retract like a rubber band clear down to your ankle. If Jo reads this, I'm sure she'll get a laugh (but maybe she'll have a laugh at me for not believing it).:rotfl:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom