Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

Well even my good knee was replaced. :heehee: When I refer to my good knee, I mean the one that hurts the least and was in better shape before replacement. (not according to the xrays though)
 
Pretty soon they with *both* be the "good knee." :) Sounds like you're doing great.
The problem with overdoing is you don't really know until you've done it--and then as you get better the definition changes.
 
I think that all of us tend to get some pain/discomfort when we try new things after surgery - however it is really a matter of trial and error to find out what things we can manage and what we cannot
 
Well this is hard to understand. With much work and some pain, last night I was able to push my knees flat on a board. I'd call it 0 extension on both.. But today my numbers in pt were not good at all, and not even close to being flat. So I guess extension can change overnight!! Every week I see little improvements like, being able to hang my legs off the edge of the bed for longer periods of time and being able to take steps without the walker or cane. Those kinds of improvements, but still the numbers in pt don't show progress every week, in fact today the numbers were worse than last week. I don't get it.
 
Yes this was somthing that I found totally annoying - one day I would make a breakthrough and the next day the muscles would stiffen up and it would seem like I had gone backwards. However if you just continue to work it gently (not forcing) then gradually the muscles will stretch more willingly. I found it a big problem at 1-2 months but now ar 2½ the muscles are getting looser :dancy:

The important thing is not to to get obsessed with the numbers - I know that this is hard in the US where number obsession rules. You know that you achieved a full extension and you will get it back so the trend is positive progress :thumb: - what you numbers are day to day are not really that important. My ROM has only been measured 3 times since surgery and only twice did they give me the numbers
 
Debbie, I feel your confusion. After surgery, I believe our muscles are like they have not ever been used. We can exercise them every day, but when we are not exercising, like at night, they go back to the way they were. I'm certainly no expert in this, but if we continue to exercise and do the stretches, our muscles will retain that memory. My problem is the stiffness, one day doing really good, the next day, back to square one, they are so stiff, it's hard to get up, and have to give them a bit when I do get up to relax somewhat and be able to walk comfortably. Today has been a stiff day, just rode my bike and that really helped, at least for a while. We are still early in the recovery stages, and our days are going to be up and down for a while yet. Just try, along with me, to focus on the end of the game when our knees are so amazing we forget they are metal and plastic!! Some days, when the going is difficult, it's hard to stay positive, but it's an investment that's worth the wait and frustration and the difficult days and the not so good numbers. "This too shall pass." Take care, thinking about you. Hugs!!
 
Hello Debbie,
:goodpost: from everyone. I believe this is the 2 steps forward 1 step back phenomenon we hear so much about :hissy:
Or the infamous "roller coaster" that is knee replacement :shocked:
It will get better,each day we are all getting better :)
Thinking of you,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Thanks ladies. Yes I told my daughter about the roller coaster ride and this knee stuff is exactly that!! I feel like my muscles are rubber bands, stretching and then going back.
I'm a little annoyed right now because I think the pt pushed my knees too hard today. At one point I told her to stop and she did, but I think I shouldn't have had to tell her to stop in the first place. I have been lucky to not have much swelling since surgery, but today I had swelling all day because of the pushing we did. My physical therapy place (gym at hospital) has those measuring things lying all over the place and they used them every five minutes it seems. I'm not worried about the bend because I know it will come with time. I'm more concerned about extension. Tomorrow I'm buying an exercise mat for the floor, and some weights to hang off my ankles when hanging off the bed. Just small ones that might help.
I want to try stretching and pushing my knees flat while on the floor.
I can't imagine how I will get up off the floor once I'm down there, but I'll have to learn real fast.:heehee: Stay tuned for further adventures.:thud:
 
On the lighter side, I just read that the definition of an optimist is a person who views taking a step backward after taking two steps forward not as a disaster, but simply as a cha-cha. :) Hope you have a great day and that your progress will continue as desired.
Best wishes to you,
Pam
 
I feel like my muscles are rubber bands, stretching and then going back.
That's in fact exactly correct. It's why you do loads of little-and-often stretching exercises, so that gradually the muscles don't go back.
...some weights to hang off my ankles when hanging off the bed.
Stretches should be done often, and for 20-30secs each time. I think, and it's just my view, that the bed-and-weights thing for extension is too much of a faff, you can do the thing for yourself much more easily (photos in my exercises thread, below).

Don't worry, sounds like you're doing just great. Loads of easy stretches, every day, is the way IMO.
 
Dear Debbie,
Please don't get on the floor :no-fin: can't you try & flatten your knee on your bed ? I don't want to come
Back on your thread & read you were stuck on the floor for hours :yikes:
Have a great day,
Stay off the floor, please.....
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Roy, if you don't mind me asking, what is a faff? Diana thanks for your concern. I think I may have figured out how to get off the floor once down there. Not to worry though because I will never get down there while home alone. :ok:
 
Debbie,
so tell me how you figered out how you can get off the floor, because I know that one day I am going to have to do it.
My last day of PT, I asked the therapist that if I needed to get on the floor how to get up. She got this look on her face and responded, "Don't get on the floor, don't fall, if you do, don't try to get up without help, and if you are alone call someone for help!" of course then I thought of delicious looking paramedics :whistle: and just grinned at her.

Morgaine
 
Well I'll take the cushions off the love seat, so that will make the seat lower to the ground. Then I have two big pillows that I will try to kneel on (but not for long) and push up(mostly with my arms) onto the seat of the loveseat. If that doesn't work, then I can try keeping my back touching the loveseat, and take my arms to hoist myself the few inches onto the loveseat. Might need my daughters help... If those two options fail, I will have to live my life on the floor.:rotfl: Or call your delicious looking paramedics.
 
I am still not a pretty sight trying to get up off the floor! I do it but I look like a pretzel ....
 
I thought of that, but have been too afraid to try it. Hummm, been too afraid to even sit on the loveseat, since it is lower than my recliner, and I still have trouble getting my big bottom out of it.
I have to ask....if you end up living your life on the floor, what will you do when you have to go potty? :giggle:

Morgaine
 
Oh yeah. Floor phobia here as well lol I can't even image doing it with a btkr! I am still putting pillows on furniture to make it higher and easier to get up
 
Dear Debbie - please be very careful going down on the floor - I am not sure that I would be able to get up yet

I found that the bed worked really well to get to zero extension - just pushing the knee down onto the matress until you can feel it on the back of your knee - I used to do lots of these each day just sitting in bed watching TV and also tensing the muscles around the knee.

The other exercise that worked well was to sit on the bed with feet up and put my heel on a small cushion (I used a memory foam neck pillow), relax muscles and let gravity push the knee down

A "faff" is a word from Britain (common in Northern England) which means a bother/more trouble than it is worth
 
Puffin that gravity thing doesn't work for me. I've had things under my ankles since surgery and it never did push my knee down. Thanks for explaining faff! :)

Gazelle don't stop there! Tell us your method of getting off the floor!!! We are all ears......

I'm starting to rethink the floor idea. Its bothering me alot though because its right there staring at me and I used to be on the floor more than the furniture.:heehee: Its like I can see it, feel it, stare at it, but can't sit on it. :sigh: But I sure don't want to wear *Depends* in order to live on it. :heehee: (for those across the pond, those are like adult diapers)

Come on Gazelle, tell us your secret.
 
Depends :rotfl: :rofsign: Debbie, please don't go down on the floor :no-fin: there's nothing down there for you,
Except possibly some " dust bunnies "
Diana :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom