Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

Have any of you run a fever after your TKR? I've had a low grade fever almost since day one but now its bothering me. Its only 100 degrees but enough to give me chills off and on. I don't feel like I'm coming down with anything, but the fever makes me feel icky.

A new thought is creeping into my over-active mind. Could the fever mean I might be allergic to my implants? Oh no!!!
 
Fever is very common after a TKR the staff warned me about this beforehand and checked during the hospital stay - the rise in temperature is part of the body's reaction to surgery and healing process - I had 102F

However if you feel it is getting worse or if you have new redness and pain around your incisions then you should contact your OS or GP so they can check there is no post surgical infection or other illness
 
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery thread.
​
 
Hello Debbie,
How are you ? I hope you are doing well :) do you have a p.t. Come to your house ?
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
Doing ok here I guess. The fever makes me feel like I'm getting sick all the time because I'm either having chills or sweating to death. Pt comes to my house for a few visits and then I start pt at the hospital. Not looking forward to outpatient pt though. Its so nice having them come here, we do my workout and then visit for awhile.:) Haven't been walking as much as i should though, so I have to get on that today.

How are you doing Diana?
 
You don't have to do a lot of walking in the early stages - my PT is keen that I should walk with a good gait rather than the distance - if I cannot go out I do laps of the living room
 
Dear Debbie,
I'm doing great...hopefully back to work August 19. I can't wait :egypdance:
How are you ? :SUNsmile: how is your walking coming along ?
I'm thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
Ps, do you think you'll change your name soon ?
 
Hi Debbie, haven't checked in with you, how are you doing? I read that you will be starting outpatient therapy, hope that goes well for you. I hate that you are running a low grade fever. Just enough to encourage that yucky feeling. Hope that goes away soon so you will feel much better-the chills are no fun. I, too remember that wobbly feeling, I was so afraid of giving up my walker, but I started using my cane around the house, and soon I was comfortable using it all the time. The wobbly got better as I got stronger, then I stopped using the cane around the house and only used it when I went out, then my husband made the remark that as I walked, I wasn't using the cane for any kind of support except moral. I finally gained enough strength and confidence to stop using it, too. And so will you, just do the stretches and exercises that PT suggests that you do at home. Take care-hugs across the miles!!
 
Good morning Debbie,
How are you today :) hoping you are seeing improvements every day :SUNsmile:
Have a nice week end,
Diana :friends:
 
Not sure if this had anything to do with the fever, but yesterday I started with a UTI and am now on antibiotics. Still feeling down, but will probably feel better soon. Knees are holding their own, but still very weak and wobbly. I don't trust the left one.:scary:
 
Today is a better day. No fever at all, no chills, no sweating. I'm trying to straighten out my knees more and can tell they feel better with stretching. I'm fine, no pain all day, but in the evenings/night, I do have some pain, so I take my meds like a good girl.:angel:

I think I forgot to mention one amazing thing. Having a bilateral done, you get so much attention!! Everyone comments about it/all positive. People think I was so brave to do this, but I tell them I was the biggest baby ever!! I didn't wanna do it, I didn't wanna do it.:boohoo:
I just cannot get over the amount of attention I've been given while at the rehab and even at home! People act like I'm some sort of hero, but we at Bone Smart know better.:rotfl:

How am I reacting to all this attention? Well I have never worn shorts or dresses because my legs aren't the nicest in the world. Now I find myself wearing bicycle shorts to show off my healing scars. Does this mean I'm turning into an attention diva? :heehee: I figure it this way, I suffered dearly for these knees, and I am working hard at getting them straight, so I'm proud of them and myself for going through this nightmare! :yahoo:
 
LOL Debbie! You are a hoot!! And yes, you certainly deserve to show off your new knees. So who cares if you are loving all the attention, bask in it while you can!! Glad you are having a great day, hope you continue to have them. Take care, and good to see you!!
 
Dear Debbie,
:goodpost: you sound so good & a diva to boot :heehee: I'm so proud of you..... I would be proud
Of your new knees too....you went through so much to get them, so now they will take care of you :egypdance:
Any thoughts on changing your name yet ?
Keep posting it's great to talk to you.....
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile: getting better everyday
 
Hi Debbie, So glad to hear you are doing better. I haven't been looking at this site regularly because I have pretty much decided not to have the surgery ; however, I have been thinking about you and am so glad to read that you are doing better. You are a hero to me as far as having bkr surgery. I would show off my scars too. I am glad you are getting some tlc. Take care.
Wishing you all the best,
Pam
 
Good morning Debbie, sounds like you are doing pretty good. Sorry to be so slow checking in with you. I haven't been on the forum much lately. Enjoy the attention while you can and show those scars with pride!
I think if I had woken up in surgery, I would have asked for a cab too!

Morgaine
 
I didn't want to put this post under my recovery thread because more people will see it this way.
Yesterday was a very good day for me. With my walker I walked up a ramp, into the building, and down the stairs to leave. I had absolutely no problem or pain and I was so shocked and happy!! I have not been able to use stairs in three yrs, but now I can use stairs again with no pain.

Thats all I did yesterday so that I wouldn't be over-doing it. I came home and elevated my legs while watching tv. Later while eating dinner I had such a sharp pain in the front of my good knee that I let out a yelp. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the knee. And an hour later it got worse, so I iced and elevated for quite awhile which helped. During the night it woke me about three times.

Today I wanted to up the ramp one more time, but now I'm afraid to. Would that be considered over-doing it? The question is, how do we know "Beforehand" what is considered over-doing something? Did I overdo it yesterday and then paid for it later, Or is it just part of the healing process when doing something new? Like everyone else, I hate learning the hard way.
 
I think everyone over does it when they start to feel better. If you do just rest the next day, ice if necessary . Go up the ramp if you are not in pain....if it hurts too much, back off. Do it tomorrow! :)
 
Well today I went up in the elevator, and then went down the ramp. Isn't it odd how going up stairs/ramps is easier than going down. I took my time, went slow. Now I'm back on the couch watching tv and resting my legs. So far so good.
I'd like to hear other stories of how people learned what over-doing it ment.
 
I had such a sharp pain in the front of my good knee that I let out a yelp. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the knee.
Well, since it was in your good knee then that's not overdoing it, not for your operated knee anyway! Good for you!
Isn't it odd how going up stairs/ramps is easier than going down
Not really, the mechanics of going UPstairs are completely different to those going DOWNstairs. It makes a huge difference .
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom