Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

Okay therapy today was the same as last week. Hurtful and boring.:heehee: But not hurtful enough to throw a fit or anything. My bend is 110 in rt knee and 108 in left knee with a little assistance from the wicked witch of the gym. When I first get there my extension measures +12 in both knees but before I leave it measures +5 in both, so I guess all the massaging and pushing is worth it? I don't know. :scratch: It feels like I have rubber bands in my legs :sigh: and I can stretch them out, but when I let go, they snap right back to where they were in the first place. :hissy:

VancouverUSAgal will you have someone to help you after surgery? I sure hope so. My daughter and I were talking about it on the way home and I was telling her about a post on here someplace that said friends and family are glad to help in the begining, but the patient starts to feel guilty and the helpers get tired of it after awhile. How true that is! I still feel I need my daughters help from time to time (she'll say all the time :heehee:) like standing in front of that machine holding it back from running away with me. :yikes: And taking me to therapy once a week, and massaging my knees with lotion before she starts pushing on them to extend twice a day. I don't know how I would have done this alone, not bilateral. But on the other hand some people are superpeople and dont need much help.

I'm hungry. Byeeeee:flwrysmile:
 
I sounds like the massaging is doing you real good. Do you think the muscles are holding you back?
Hmm, it's tricky with one knee at one point and the other at another. You can't really bike with one leg, can you. :wink:
I know I was afraid of going the full rotation but once my PT forced me to (not quite something I'd recommend) it worked and I was able to do it after that. Maybe this other exercise machine will work for you.
 
I don't know if its muscles holding me back or tendons or ligaments or all of them together, but something is.
 
VancouverUSAgal will you have someone to help you after surgery?
Well, I'm sure not "super people" but I'm pretty tough. I live with my grown son and he will take off work and then work from home to help me as long as I need him, plus I have friends and neighbors. I know I'm going to have to ask for help because people do get busy and sort of forget about you or assume you're all taken care of unless you ask. That's hard when we're used to being independent. Wish I had more family around but then I'm luckier than some who really don't have anyone to help.

I just have to believe that it will all work out even though I'm sure I'll have some "moments" (tantrums or crying spells or whatever). I've been thru major surgery before so I know it can be a difficult process especially as we get older and/or aren't in as good of conditions. I know you haven't had the easiest time but it sounds like you're getting there and I'm so glad to hear that.
 
Hi scaredinCA - my bend is farther apart than yours but I finally got the rotation on the bike on my own terms. My left leg is 112/0 and my right is 99/2 - the right has always lagged behind. I really recommend you continue to try to at least do the half rotations - I just kept rocking back and forth, then before I knew it, it just felt ready if I took my time. I don't have a wicked witch of the gym - I have a young puppy that I am now convinced is half my age and that's saying something since I'm only 46 :) Hang in there, knee replacement is not a race, it's a journey and we will all reach the finish line when the time is right.
Stacie
 
Stacie your numbers are good and its great you got the full rotation on the bike. Because of my left leg, I just can't do it yet. But in time, in good time.
 
Hello Debbie,
How are you doing ? Good I hope :) just want you to know I'm thinking of you tonight & hope you
Continue to improve every day :friends:
Any chance of changing your name yet ? :heehee:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
HI Diana,
I'm down in the dumps today. I couldn't figure out why one of the physical therapists was so verbally hard on me today. She was decent, but yet she was overly firm in telling me I need to work much harder than what I've been doing which are, hanging legs off the bed 5 times a day for 15 mins, my daughter massaging my knees and then pushing them down everyday, working out on a machine a little while. Thats mostly what I've been doing, but the therapist said I need to double that plus work on strength. I suppose she's right but just couldn't figure out the sudden change in her attitude towards me. Just as I was leaving I realized what it was. Last week I printed out the bonesmart mantra and some little posts about training versus healing and I gave it to them to read. I wasn't pushy about it, just told them other parts of the world don't work at healing as hard as we americans do. Today they never mentioned it, but I realized why that therapist was harder on me. They believe what I've been doing is mostly passive workouts and thats why my straightening isn't coming along as it should. They want me to build up my leg muscles (especially the bad leg) because they claim all the muscles work together so we can walk at a normal range, etc. I do see their point but I am so confused I can't stand it now. I guess I'll go buy a workout mat to put on the floor so I can do the exercises better than on my bed. My bad leg hurts now farther up than before. I think I may need a hip replacement too because its hard to walk the way they showed me. OH geez what a day.
 
Dear Debbie,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I work nights & Don't get home until 11:00 p.m. I am sorry you had a down
In the dumps day, it happens to the best of us :) as far as p.t, I'm sure you are doing the best you can, & I like you gave
Them the "mantra" it lets them know where you stand. I do agree with them on the strength part. Your thigh muscles
Support your knee & it is important that they are strong.
I was just telling another member how later in recovery other muscles & joints start to hurt, because we are walking
Straighter.....some have back problems....or hip problems. Hopefully your hip will resolve in time :yes:
Please don't say anything about a hip replacement :beg: one thing at a time :heehee:
I do hope you have a nice day....
Thinking of you always :friends:
Diana...."June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile: ....one day at a time......
 
Guess what Diana, I actually got down on the floor for the first time in years. Hated every minute of it. I forgot how hard a floor can be unless its carpeted. :wink: Had to take cushions off loveseat and use my elbows to push myself slowly up and backwards. Not easy and won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Thanks for checking up on me. How are you doing with work and all?
 
Debbie,
Why are you down on the floor :shocked: do you do the thigh tightening exercises ? I am doing great, work is my quiet
Place. When it gets to loud at home, I go to work :happydance: I am all by myself, I do some of my best thinking
At work :whistle: & it's great to finally get a paycheck after 10 weeks :yay:
You never said if your daughter got that job, did she ?
Right now I am in the process of going back to the gym. I have a stubborn 15 lbs to loose. all in the tummy area :sigh:
You sound much better today, just keep on keeping on. Have you read Gazelles thread....very inspirational....
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
I finally made two full rotations on the bike. Going backwards is much easier than forward. I wonder why? I noticed that when it starts to hurt really bad, if I keep going it only gets worse. I think the minute it hurts then a person should stop for awhile. The pt was a bit aggravated that I got off the bike before she told me to. I guess she doesn't realize who's in charge of my knee.. MY KNEE IS. :heehee: It only hurts in the back of my bad knee.
 
Great news on the bike rotations. Obviously you're doing something right. It does seem like common sense to take a break when it starts hurting bad. Remind me--do you still ice?
 
Yes I still ice with a nice wrap that goes all around my knee.
 
Hi Debbie scaredinCA
Sorry to hear you had a rough week with the PT, but good for you for sharing the information you thought was important and getting off the bike when it hurt. I am so proud of you for hanging in there and continuing to work toward getting stronger. Congrats on the bike rotations too, slow and steady. I agree, backward is easier than forward. I agree with Diana, please don't try to get down to the floor, there are different ways to work on straightening and none of them involve getting stuck on the floor. Have you tried sitting on two even chairs, like dining or kitchen chairs and then putting something under your foot to elevate your leg a bit and increase the stretch? I hate this one because it can be uncomfortable, but it seemed to help me make gains in straightening.
Take care,
Stacie
 
Dear Debbie,
Congratulations on the rotations on the bike :happydance: that's great ! I like how you & your knee know
When you've had enough :groan: if it hurts STOP !
Now my dear...please stop getting down on the floor :no-fin: no good can come from this :heehee:
Have a wonderful day,
Diana...leader of the "June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
Queen of the Mighty,Mighty, WARRIORS.... :bow:
 
Hey Debbie, long time no see. After reading your recent posts, I hope you are feeling better. I'm doing OK, right knee is still lagging behind the left. It still pains me to go up steps, but hopefully that will get better with time. I had surgery to repain my left shoulder 2 weeks ago, am doing PT for that, shoulder is doing good except right now it's hurting, been typing too much, I think. Keep working at the bicycle, it will get easier. Take care and keep on keeping on!! Tennessee hugs to you!
 
HI Deb, good to hear from you again. Our knees are opposite, my left leg is lagging behind my right leg. :) I notice when I walk my left thigh hurts more as days wear on. I suppose it will be ok in time. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I think I may have to have a hip done one day. Arthritis is the pits isn't it.
 
Its how important the little improvements are that only a TKR patient would understand. I haven't been able to sit in my recliner since surgery because to get up from it you have to push the leg rest down with your legs. There is no handle or button, just the power in your legs. When I tried sitting in it, my daughter had to come & push the foot rest down so I could get up..

Well this morning I pushed it down easily and got up by myself. FINALLY.... Also, I went out to dinner last night and climbed some steep steps going in and going out. I shocked myself because it was easy.

Small improvements over 3 1/2 months, but I'm elated.....:happydance: Now if only I could get these legs to straighten out, everything would be fantastic... Time, all in good time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom