Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

We had a warming trend today--up to 11F. Looks like no more snow for a while. I know what you mean about heart attacks @Dulcimer Diva. One thing I have to say is that having been able to exercise a bit since the first TKR I feel like my cardio system is in better shape than it used to be. But it's important for anyone to be careful.

Just noticing your icon again @scaredinCA--love it! good to hear you are well stocked to hunker down
 
I walk ok, I can get up from a chair just fine, I don't have great bend but they bend enough to get in and out of a small car, etc. (at 7 months I think its around 110 and 95 or 100) What I am puzzled about is "standing in one spot", my knees start itching so bad that I have to stop what I'm doing in order to rub or scratch them both. Most of the time I just sit down and start scratching on both sides of my scars on both knees. I'm not talking about a small itch, I'm talking about something that stops me dead in my tracks and I feel compelled to scratch/rub around the scars. When walking I don't have this, just when standing still...
Anyone have this or have any suggestions of what it may be caused from or what I can do to stop it?
Thanks in advance.
 
Forgot to add that I don't seem to have any swelling that could cause the itching. As soon as I rub the scars and walk around, the itching goes right away. Realyl Odd.
 
Sounds like the nerves that were cut are trying to come back to life. Problem is sometimes the signal gets crossed... If it is where the numbness is that is probably the reason. Just my guess!
 
Gazelle I don't have any numbness close to my scars, but I do have numbness on the sides of my legs thats slowly coming back to life or trying to, but the sides don't itch. I can understand the nerves being cut and all, but its odd that the itching is in both knees at once, not just one at a time. Thats the crazy part of it.
 
@scaredinCA
Hello Debbie,
How are you ? Good I hope:) Could this itching have something to do with a different kind
Of Laundry detergent or fabric softener ? Or, your pants rubbing on your scars ? I hope you
Find an answer to your itchy knees:gaah:Sounds very annoying.
Thinking of you:friends:
Diana:snow dig:
 
HI Diana, long time no see. No I don't think its an allergy to anything from the outside, like laundry soap, etc. The itching is deep inside my knees. That would be a no to Skigirls question also. I haven't been using lotion or anything on my knees for some time. It honestly seems to be something inside my knees, not a skin type allergy. I have no rash, etc... And if it were an allergy it would itch all the time, not just when I'm standing in one position. It happens when I'm brushing my teeth, washing my face, etc.. And I can't even finish making a sandwich without having to stop and scratch or rub them until the itching stops. Allergies don't just happen when standing still.:heehee: I've had this almost since surgery but thought it must be the nerves trying to heal, so I tried not to pay attention to it, but after seven months I'm starting to really be curious what it could be caused from? And the fact that its in both knees is really weird too!:umm:
I dislike being the only weirdo on this forum!! :gaah:

Skigirl I have always enjoyed reading your posts. And Diana you have always been so sweet to me. I hope you ladies are doing well and have wonderful lives!
 
Hi @scaredinCA - Though not the same issue as you have I have had severe crazy itching of my legs at times. I scratched it and they turned black and blue - I looked like my legs were in a fight! My GP thought I had some kind of disease and I was tested for everything. They never did find a reason though i have allergies to parabins and fragrances. My doctor finally gave me a script for lidocaine which I put on my legs for a few weeks. It is the only thing that helped me. It does sound like a nerve issue to me but I am not a medical professional. Maybe a neurologist can do an EMG nerve conduction test. It is very painless and might help. I really think when you are standing there may be a nerve that is compressed causing this. It drives you crazy when going through something like this and I do believe it will pass. It seems like I always have weird things happen to me and if there is a 1 percent chance of something happening I will be in that group! Good luck and sorry I can't be more helpful.
 
Jozilla at least someone else has weird things happen to them also. :heehee: I too think its a nerve thing, but I wonder why both legs at once? Heres something funny, I seem to be allergic to lidocaine. :heehee: When I had injections of lidocaine with cortsione, I would get the most horrible leg cramps! The doctor thought it was from the lidocaine, but who knows.
 
You are not the only "weirdo" on this forum.

Yeah, I am having a similar problem. (See my thread.) We (my docs and I) havent figured out the cause of my itchiness, but for now, we are treating my symptoms. I am taking antihistimines to control my itchiness. Sometimes, I use hydrocortisone cream. Standing still in one spot (something I have to do at one of my part-time jobs), drives me CRAZY after a while.

Sometimes, my family and I joke around that I am allergic to my new knee. Secretly, I suspect it may be true. I cant scratch, cause if I do, it just gets worse and then I lose all control. I keep telling myself: "I am NOT going to scratch!" I know what will happen if I do. Its become a "mind over matter" thing. =(
 
That is funny about the lidocaine. Not really but seems to he the case with a few of us. My guess is that it is a nerve in your spine that may be compressed. That is why it affects both legs. Or it could be we are three crazy members here - just kidding. I am starting to itch thinking about this!!
 
Dear Debbie,
Please don't think your the only "weirdo" on the forum:heehee: You're in good company:rofsign:I
Hope you feel better. Have you spoken with your doctor ? Have you tried "Google".....
Just type in itchy knees after knee replacement.
It's good to hear from you also:friends:Let's stay in touch !
You were the first person to respond to me on "Bonesmart" 8 months ago:SUNsmile:
You hold a special place in my heart,
Love,
Diana:snow dig: @scaredinCA
 
Second the suggestion to see a neurologist. This might be the kind of thing that would respond to the kinds of medication they prescribe for seizures, or even a tiny dose of an antidepressant, the same way that chronic pain sometimes does. Its all in the wiring. And a recurring chronic itch is nothing to ignore--there have been cases of people with an itch on their scalp scratching all the way through to their brain--no fooling.
 
Well thank heavens it doesn't itch quite that bad jeano! But there is no way on earth to ignore it completely. Its just on both sides of my scars and when I sit down and rub or scratch it, it goes away. Doesn't happen if I'm walking, thats the crazy part, its just when standing still in one spot. I'm making an appointment to see my surgeon anyhow and I will definatly be asking him about it.
 
This might be one of those mystery cases that fascinate docs. Not so exciting for the patient though. :(
 
:heehee: Keeper, I think the doctor nowadays are too busy to be fascinated with these types of things. They just blow it off as another whackadoo. They probably talk about it over lunch and laugh.:rotfl: I'm going to tell my surgeon and I bet he just shrugs it off (because he won't know the answer). Ever notice that dermatologists say the most simple things, like don't use soap, use this or that cream, and basically thats it, they don't know what you have for sure and they never seem to want to investigate whatever it is. Its happened to me in the past and recently my cousin has had bad rashes and itches, etc, and thats what her dermatologist told her too. The creams can be bought over the counter.
 
I went to my neurologist - he no ideas about what to do about the sudden itchiness around my knee after my tkr.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom