Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

My OS suggested it and also gave me the script for prophylactic antibiotic. So when I go for cleanings I will be taking the antibiotics. Also I have RA and with RA medications it increases the susceptibility to infection so I will be taking antibiotics. Good luck Roger. That seems like a lot of extractions at one time. Hope you have plenty of pain medication to cover you. Feel better soon. :groan:
 
Gazelle why does your doctor want you to take antibiotics the rest of your life? Is he that cautious or paranoid?:heehee:
Or did you have an infection at some time?
 
My OS doctor mentioned the same thing at my post op visit is that antibiotics should be taken for a lifetime after having a TKR due to the high risk of possible infection. I have to look up more literature on it, but I think if I did not want to take the antibiotics that I would just let the dentist know that and work out some happy medium. :sigh:
 
I'd have to look at my prescription bottle to see how the doses are split out. My original directions said I would take them for life for procedures. I'll have to see if my OS has changed his mind when I see him about the 2nd knee.
 
Wouldn't infection from teeth cleaning be the same as cutting a finger? Infection can come from anyplace the skin is broken and theres bacteria everywhere. Something to think about.
 
Wouldn't infection from teeth cleaning be the same as cutting a finger? Infection can come from anyplace the skin is broken and theres bacteria everywhere. Something to think about.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I do have some experience with it. I think the difference is that bacteria tends to naturally collect and concentrate in the gum line at the teeth. That is why we brush & floss. If, when doing dental work, the gums are stressed and start to bleed, then there is a path for the concentrated bacteria to enter the bloodstream. I think cutting your finger is not nearly as bad, because there is not that concentration of bacteria near the site.
Of course, the problem is made worse if you have periodontal disease, and the pockets around the teeth are deeper than normal due to bone loss. This allows even more bacteria to collect, and is difficult to keep clean, even with floss.

I had the 11 teeth extracted yesterday. I'm doing as well as can, I suppose. It was not fun, by any means. Hopefully, I can be somewhat recovered by next week. I am out of work sick today. I'm on a 1 week course of antibiotics.

Roger
 
Good luck Roger you made it. That's great. I don't blame you in the least for being out today as I would think you need a few days to recoup at least. Hope you are felling well soon. :egypdance: :thumb:
 
SFBaySailor - I would definitely take the antibiotics as prescribed because having had the extractions leaves your mouth (excuse pun) wide open to infection of any of the sockets. Prevention is better than cure. The same procedure would be followed over here in the UK.
Good luck with it all settling down.
I'm mid-way having a bridge fitted so my mouth's feeling very strange at the moment, but I know it will be worth it once it's finished on 20th.
 
Mazza ,
Yes, good point. Infection of the missing tooth sockets is probably much more likely than a knee infection. I still have some swelling and pain on the 2nd day. I am taking Vicodin 5-300.
Good luck with the bridge. That is what I had previously, and it served me well for 20 years. But the periodontal disease got the best of it in the long run.

Roger
 
My OS prescribed antibiotics before I had a dental procedure less than two weeks out from surgery, as well, and wants me to take them before any dental work. Also before colonoscopies, pap smears, etc. He said he prefers no dental work at all for a year out from surgery, but considering I broke off a front tooth below the gum line, it was necessary.

My dentist went along with it and was used to following this advice. Curiously, he said the surgery I went through had a far less risk of introducing infection into the blood stream than a cleaning would have. In fact, he suggested I skip my cleaning so close to surgery.

And while he supported taking antibiotics, since my OS requested it, he also said just that week that he had read a new journal article about a joint study done by both the American Medical Association and the American Dental Association. Their findings were that antibiotics before dental treatment made no difference at all in the rate of joint infections.
 
Forgot to send my regards to Roger. I've had extensive dental work done - every tooth in my mouth has been root canaled at least once, but never that many extractions at once. I hope you are comfortable today.
 
@scaredinCA
Hi Debbie,
I hope you receive this message ( it has nothing to do with teeth):heehee: I wanted to wish you
& your family a:mer xm:& a wonderful 2014.
Imagine how much better we will be next year:yahoo:
Thinking of you:friends:
Diana:xmas-tree:
 
This might be comparing apples to oranges, but here goes:
Five years ago the DH was told by his dentist that the protocol for prophylactic antibiotics for individuals with Mitral Valve Prolapse had changed. DH no longer needed to take them before routine dental cleanings. Lo and behold, he got a cracked tooth. Dentist advised wait and see if tooth crack heals itself. Which it apparently did, but a short period of time after that the mitral valve failed, DH went into heart failure, had a very high fever (the source of which was never found) was given massive doses of antibiotics, antivirals, antifungals etc over a period of 10 days or so while on a ventilator in the cardiovascular ICU awaiting surgical replacement of the valve. Fever finally abated, nice new cow valve put in, DH made a spectacular recovery, and is now (wait for it) back on antibiotic prophlyaxis before each and every dental procedure.

I had a partial KR done Nov. 11, went for routine dental cleaning on Dec 2, took MY prophylactic antibiotics. I am not crazy about taking antibiotics when I'm not sick, but since I raise my own chickens and DONT run to the dr for every sniffle am fairly confident that I'm taking far fewer antibiotics than a lot of folks.

Your mileage may vary.
 
Hello Debbie @scaredinCA
I finally found your thread:) I've seen you posting on others threads & figured I would
Bring you up to page 1. How have you been ? How are your knees ?.....I read you are not seeing
Much progress lately....I believe progress is very un noticeable until one day, you can do more
Than the day before.:dancy:I am 7 months tomorrow, I still get zingers once in a while, I just rub
Them & they go away.
I am getting ready to shovel 15 in. Of snow:happydance:We're having a Nor' Easter here in MA. Only
Difference, this storm has freezing temps. Tomorrow's high is 5 degrees:yikes: Freezing pipes are a
Big concern.
Please keep in touch,:friends:
Diana:snow dig:
 
Hi Diana,
Actually I replied to you on someone elses thread. I'm 6 months out and not having pain, but sort of stuck as far as the extension and bend goes with the left knee (my bad one). I found out I can now ride my stationary bike so maybe that will help some. I don't complain much about it because I'm just so thankful that the arthritis pain is gone gone gone. I do have one odd thing happening when I stand for more than a minute both knees start itching so bad that I have to stop whatever I'm doing and either scratch or rub them or sit down and rub them. I haven't read anything on this forum about that happening to anyone but me!:umm: I"ve thought about having an MUA but I just don't want to be put under or have another spinal unless I need a life saving operation.. I would say my extension on left leg is around a 5 and the bend must be around 95/100. So you see its not horrible and I can walk just fine with it like this. Good to hear from you Diana, but you better be extra careful while shoveling all that snow!! I've been reading that a huge storm is coming to the east coast.:snow dig:Just stay warm and be careful and I hope you have alot of supplies in home. Deb
 
Diana, have to echo Deb here. We have 15" here on the Chicago lakefront, but NO WAY am I going to shovel! I know you're a good deal younger than I am but we're both at an age where heart attacks are the leading cause of death in women. Add to that your still-recovering knee (and the fact that you might endanger your back by compensating for it) and you're courting disaster. Are there any kids or young adults in your neighborhood who might want to earn some money shoveling (or a neighbor who wants to amortize the cost of his snowblower)? I had to pay a couple of kids to do my front steps & sidewalk (which must be cleared by law!) and my son shovel the back yesterday; of course, all their work was obliterated overnight but if they hadn't shoveled yesterday today's snowfall would have been insurmountable. Normally, "lake effect" snow happens only on the IN & MI side of Lake Michigan, sometimes here on the Chicago and north suburban lakefront--but Lovestoread and Brithael (who live far southwest) can confirm that this time it's extended all the way southwest into northern Kankakee County!

Husband is staying down in Oak Lawn (close to Christ Hospital and his Hickory Hills office) because the expressway and arterials were impassable (even with all-wheel drive) when he tried to get home yesterday. Our alley is unplowed, and there's no way I can get out of or he can get into the garage unless we hire a landscaper to snow-blow us out (and when & if the plow comes through we'd be sealed in again). So we're going to have a downtown getaway weekend--he's gonna scoop me up in front of the house--so he can do office hours Sat. morning and we may catch a matinee or shop on Sat. (instructing our son to turn the faucets on overnight so that the pipes don't freeze--we're expecting a HIGH of -8F and a low of at least -15 Monday).

Another reason why I'm not gonna shovel--I managed to fracture (or severely bruise) my left index finger yesterday--though I don't know how! I was practicing scales on my bass for awhile, and about an hour later I noticed the metacarpal was getting stiff and red. Iced, rubbed it with Voltaren gel and splinted it till this morning (kept it elevated on a pillow overnight), so that I can still play in Madison next Fri., and it's better but still nowhere near 100%. Gripping a skillet was a little tricky, as was hooking my bra this morning. No way am I gonna blow it shoveling! No cabs are available, so no way to get an X-ray.
 
Hello Sandy @Dulcimer Diva
Thank you very much for your concern:) I am taking your conditions, as to what we in MA.
Will be getting:yikes: I don't mind the snow ( so, far it is very fluffy ) What concerns me is the cold.
So many tragic news reports about fires, because folks us ovens & space heaters.
Thank you for reminding me to drip the faucets. Forgot that one:)
I have a full fridge, full tank of oil, for heat & cable t.v.:dancy:
I hope your finger feels better....You & your family stay safe.....This to shall pass !!!!!!!
Diana:snow dig:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom