Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

I had looked into it as well. I even called the rep. He said they use it more for extension. It made sense to me to hold continual traction without pain to let the leg totally relax and stretch.

BTW My former doctor had an accident which shattered his kneecap early on in med school. They splinted his leg for several months. When the cast came off, it wouldn't bend. So he would study his medical textbooks with his lower leg hung over the end of the bed and a weight pulling it down. I would think that's about what the JAS would do.
 
If I didn't love your icon so much @scaredinCA , I'd suggest we need a lab rat one for you. :heehee:
 
We are all eager to hear how you progress with this system. Best wishes for great success for you
 
Hi Everyone..... Today is my one year anniversary for bilateral surgery! What memories!!! I was so scared that I thought I'd have a heart attack for sure. But here I am, walking around with no arthritis pain and I am so grateful that I had this surgery even though my legs are not 100% and may never be, but I like what I have anyway.
I am still using the Jas System and I can't say my legs are more straightened, but they sure do feel alot better than before I used it. The system doesn't hurt since you control it yourself. It basically stretches your leg out without the pain that other exercises give you. The odd thing about it is how I'm trying to get my legs straight, but its somehow helped with my bend, without me even trying that part of it yet. Now I'm able to get in and out of my daughters little car thats low to the ground. Before the System, I used to moan and groan while getting in and out, but now its no problem at all. Another odd thing is how straight my leg is while hooked up to the System, but when I take it off, my leg goes right back to a 5. I find that so odd.... And I can put it on my left leg all by myself, but can't put it on my right leg or it slips down, so my daughter has to put it on that leg, then I can take it off by myself. I honestly wish I had tried this thing when early in my recovery, instead of waiting 10 months to try it. I am reasonably sure it would have straightened out my legs in the early days. Now I'm not so sure... But I am certain of one thing, both of my legs feel better from using it and I'm keeping it as long as they will allow me to have it..
I am still so thankful for Bonesmart and all the wonderful help and encouragement from all the nice members & fellow knee patients.. You all helped me get through this experience. And WHAT AN EXPERIENCE IT HAS BEEN.:wowspring::cheers:
 
Happy Anniversary! :loveshwr: Great report! Thanks for updating.
Glad to her the JAS system has helped your ROM and made it easier to do things.
 
We have all had to accept that our new knees are not perfect. It sounds like yours are serving you well.
 
@scaredinCA
Hi Debbie,
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to your 2 new Knees....:happydance::dancy::happydance::dancy:I am glad you are
Continuing to get better & are Happy you had the Surgery :friends:
Thinking of you,
Diana...."JUNE SUNBEAMS" 2013...:SUNsmile::SUNsmile: :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
So so so happy for you! I think a lot of us are scared during part/much/all of TKR recovery. Which actually is logical. I am also grateful to you for reporting your JAS experiences.

its somehow helped with my bend
The only thing I can say is that my bend also improved without trying. That's due to healing, plain and simple, although when you're struggling with bend, it's hard to imagine that it could improve on its own.

I too have a less than perfect knee. Many times, in life, settling is the right thing to do. Despite my issues (laxity and chronic synovitis), I just got back from an overnight cruise on our sailboat, which included hikes over difficult terrain on an island, and I have no pain now.

Continued best wishes.
 
Maryo52, I know that bend can improve over time, but mine had stalled, until the first week after begining my Jas System routine. I know it was the Jas contraption that helped with my bend even though it wasn't set for the bend process, it was set for extension process (two opposite directions).. Somehow the extension setting did something that helped with the bend in the left knee.. The Jas System rep said it must have broken up some scar tissues inside, all I know is that my knees both felt looser and better.
 
While on a bed or couch I can touch the back of my knees to the mattress or cushion, but if I sit on the floor, its not even close to touching the floor.
@scaredinCA, Sounds like your hamstrings are tight.
If you are still going to PT, or have a personal trainer have them show you some gentle hamstring stretches.
 
I have neither, pt or a trainer.. Can you give me tips on how to loosen hamstrings?
 
Happy kneeversary! I'm at a year today - It's amazing what time will do! I pray you keep getting stronger and more satisfied with your results!
 
@scaredinCA
Welcome Back to BoneSmart! :welome:
You will notice I have opened your Recovery Threads and merged them together, so your story is all in one place for you to use as a diary of your Bilateral Recovery.
Chris
 
Last edited:
My knees are ok and I"m still thankful to have done them both at the same time.. My left leg never did go straight, but its useable and I'm thankful for that much. Its been so long since I've been on this board and it brings back good memories of all the support I got here. Now I'm back to find out about hip replacements but not for myself.. Its for my son who fell on his knees and his femur went into his pelvic area and he will need a new hip sometime, but first he has to gain weight & get healthier before a major surgery.
 
@scaredinCA Nice to see you back on BoneSmart! We will certainly help you and your son through the THR journey. Sounds like a nasty accident. Hope he is not in too much pain.
 
So far his pain has been manageable, thank God. I can't imagine how it must feel to have a broken hip for weeks while he tries to gain weight.
 
Is your son seeing a nutrition specialist? They should be able to advise on how to gain weight safely and in a healthy way.

Hope he is on a walker. I had a collapsed hip and it is VERY painful.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom