Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

Thanks Diana, I don't think I've lost any ROM yet. I think all it is, is that I'm not a self motivator. I have good intentions everyday, but thats all they are, intentions. Yesterday I had my daughter raise the bike seat again, and intend to climb on sometime today. And when I say climb, I mean I have to use a stool to get on that damn thing! I dread it, but have to try. For some reason this bike makes power of its own, the pedals keep going even if I stop peddling. Thats why I hate it, but can't afford a new one. Oh well, I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for caring.
 
Getting ready for my own BTKRs and I am so interested in the floor how will I get down there and up!
IT is certainly do-able---but, while I can kneel, it feels very weird and I do not like to do it, so I have devised my own way of getting off of the floor; it looks like, I guess, a kind of convoluted push-up.
 
I used to be a floor sitter :heehee: and I worried that after surgery I would never be able to sit down there again. After about 3 months I gave it a try. The first thing I noticed was I couldn't judge distance anymore, so I actually sat down harder than I normally would have. After I was down there I noticed how hard the floor was without carpet, so naturally I wasn't very comfortable. To get back up was sort of hard but easy.:scratch: Naturally I couldn't get up the old way, I had to back up to the love seat, take the cushions off and use my elbows to lift myself onto the seating area. Its easy to figure out, but not so easy to do. I have no desire to get back down on the floor soon again. Maybe in a few months I'll try it.
 
Hi there! I can certainly understand being in a bit of a funk. Forget those stupid PT people. I know someone who had to be hospitalized for weeks after his second TKR (issue unrelated to knee) and when he was finally able to leave the hospital he did very little in the way of PT or exercise. Eventually that knee turned out to have just as good of ROM, etc. as first knee when he'd done the standard regimen of PT, so I really have to wonder how much the U.S. way of pushing strict PT protocols really makes a difference. How much does it help and how much is is just keeping physical therapists in business? I'm not saying it's worthless . . . I'm just wondering how much it actually makes a difference. I'm sure it makes a difference if they follow the Bonesmart mantra, but how many do?
 
I only wish someone had satistics on the different theories between countries. Or even between doctors therapies. What works and what doesn't? I'd like to know the difference in outcomes between physical therapy and no therapy at all. Would the ROM be the same anyhow? I'd like hard facts instead of isolated stories (even though I like reading the stories).
 
I know . . . wouldn't that be nice? Well, maybe some student will do a research study. It's been very interesting to hear how different the procedures are in other countries. And I have to say that so often Americans believe that everything our country does must be superior and I'm leery of that thinking. I think our medical establishment should be a little more open-minded. Look how long it's taken for them to accept chiropractic and alternative medicine as valuable! I don't necessarily think all natural remedies are best - I'd just like to see all things studied with an open mind and findings reported on fairly. We are so at the mercy of our doctors and we can see from this forum alone how different the surgeons are and how some insist one certain things and others don't use those procedures but insist on others. What are they basing their choices on . . . personal experience or some knowledge that others don't have? And of course they don't want to take the time to explain themselves to us.
 
Hi VancouverUSAgal, you are absolute right that most of doctors in this country are very conservative with regard to new procedures. Maybe they are so afraid of lawsuit. When I research on surgeons who are experienced in MIS TNR procedures, I was so surprised to find out not many doctors even want to touch this subject. I have friends who live in Taiwan. When I told her how frustrated I was to find an orthopedic surgeon experienced in this procedure in LA area, my friend told me this procedures are so popular in Taiwan, because it has proven to shorten the recovery time. I think it will depend :angel: on us (customers) to educate us more and start to make a demand. Thank goodness, we have this forum that we can exchange information.
 
Do any of you who had a tkr have to take antibiotics before having your teeth cleaned?
 
Both my dentist and my periodontist prefer that I take 2000mg of amoxicillin an hour before having any dental procedure. I do it for them, but I personally don't think it makes a great deal of difference.
 
My dentist wants me to take 2000 mg of Keflex (cephalexin) an hour before having my teeth cleaned.. I hate taking that much at a time because I'll probably feel sick from so much at once. ugh....
 
There is new thinking among dentists that this is not really necessary. I got a printout about it from my periodontist when he learned that I would have knee replacements.
I think I will do it anyway, though. Better safe than sorry, I think.
 
scaredinCA...

Like you, I was really anxious about taking that much at once one hour before my teeth cleaning appointment. I am happy to report that I didn't feel sick AT ALL, and I usually do when I take antibiotics. Although the jury still seems to be out on whether taking this large dose does any good at all in terms of preventing infection, I did find that it gave me some peace of mind. So I will continue to do it until both my OS and my dentist say "don't bother." Good luck to you!
 
^me too. I also felt fine with Keflex. I'm supposed to take one dose before and one later in the day. I do tend to eat "medicinal" yogurt when I take antibiotics to minimize any GI issues.
 
keeper, what dose did you take before and after? I realize everyone is different, but it seems to be the standard that we are given 2000 mg of whatever antibiotic the doctor orders.
 
I just googled this subject and came away more confused than ever. :) One article says one thing and another article says the opposite. A person doesn't really know what to believe. Where is RestAssured our expert on infections?
 
My dentist prescribes 2000 mg of amoxicillin before a dental procedure. He admits that he has heard of the latest reports that reduce the chance of infection due to dental work, but he still prescribes it out of caution. At least for now.

Tomorrow I am having 11 teeth extracted. In addition to the 2000 mg of amoxicillin before the procedure, my OS wants me on antibiotics for 1 week afterwards. Wish me luck!

Roger
 
I am seriously considering NOT taking it. I will just lie to my dentist and say I took it. I will wait until June where it will have been a full year since surgery. I have been researching it and new research says it really does nothing.
My doctor is an big advocate of having to take the antibiotics for the rest of my life! :sos:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom