Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR My recovery thread.

Yes, you'll keep having those moments for some time to come. I was concerned that I was going backwards and losing ROM recently. However, I've lucked upon a personal trainer at the gym who really gets it! I just told her of my knee replacements and my goal of completing a mud run next spring. She's got me doing a lot of exercises (in the pool at times too - didn't know it was possible to sweat in a swimming pool) that work on strengthening the muscles of my legs with low-to-no impact on my knees, strengthening my "core" & other parts, and helping me with balance.

You and I had talked about one knee being further along then the other - it's evident even now with me that one is stronger with better balance while the other has better range of motion! I think as long as you continue to try to get back to "normal" activities with your knees as circumstances allow, your muscles and such will begin to work with you. Just don't let them rest too much after they've healed. The mistake that I was making was not continuing with some form of stretching/PT on my own after I completed PT. I just got busy and didn't much think or worry about it until some milestone that I had accomplished in PT was again difficult for me.

I assume TKR is like childbirth in some respects - the further I get from it, the less of a big deal it was! But I have NOT forgotten how much pain I was in before having it done and I am so grateful that I was able to.
 
Oh I agree with you Tracey. I remember very well how I was Before surgery, the pain that wouldn't allow me to attempt stairs anymore, and how I looked for a place to sit down everywhere I went, and my daughter pushing me in the wheelchair. I remember very well, and I am blessed to have had this surgery even though I did everything in my power to avoid it.:heehee:
 
Josephine I was wondering the same thing. Maybe she means we should exercise them even after they have healed up and are fine :scratch: Or we will lose what we gained. I think thats what she ment.
 
I guess I am going to have to have an attitude adjustment about exercise. I was hoping that once my knee is healed, that would be the end of my concerns about my knee. I guess this is going to be a lifelong thing.
 
ucsbgal, thats the adjustment that I'll have to get used to also. Last week my pt told me this is forever. I was shocked!!:shocked: I had always thought that after we did pt and got the knees straight & flexed to whatever number we wanted, then we could sit back and enjoy them. Guess I was wrong!?!
 
On the positive side, all that exercise will definitely keep us healthier. I wish that it wouldn't be a lifelong concern though. I do miss being able to walk around my neighborhood, I never thought I would say that, and am glad that knee replacement is possible. We are getting our lives back and I guess that is something to work for.
 
I wonder if it will ever feel normal though. I am 2weeks and 3days out from the surgery so I guess pain and discomfort are to be expected at this point. I hope it is not going to be lifelong discomfort though.
 
No no, it won't be painful the rest of our lives, not at all. You are *only* 2 weeks from surgery so its normal for you to have pain. I'm getting close to 4 months and I can tell you that when I'm sitting around, I don't have any pains at all. Maybe a shooting pain once in awhile, but not constant. Yes I still have some discomfort when I'm doing my exercises but not enough that I have to take a pain pill. I get a bit stiff when I sit too long, but its not actual pain. If I stayed as I am right now, I would still consider myself lucky/blessed, but I know I will continue to improve for quite awhile yet. As time goes on I can do more without pain or discomfort. Keep your chin up and listen to those who are further along in recovery and know that we wouldn't lie to you, you will continue to get better and better. But maybe we will have to do exercises the rest of our lives, I don't know. :scratch:
 
Hello Debbie,
When I had my first at home P.T 11 years ago for my 1st knee surgery. She had both her knees replaced
& said she continues doing her exercises. I believe as we heal & get on with our lives, that is exercise.
Exercising an hour or so a day is actually a very healthy habit we should all do.
I hope you are doing well,
Diana :friends:
 
I am glad to hear that it gets better. Thanks Debbie. I know that I am barely out of the gate but the constant pain is starting to get to me. They say that I am doing well but I really don't feel so well. I go home from the rehab on Tuesday and I am really fearful about going it alone. I know Josephine did it alone so I guess it can be done.
 
Before you are released from rehab they make sure you can function by yourself. Things like walking, getting yourself dressed, fixing small meals, etc. If you can do those things at rehab, then you will be able to do them at home. I do hope you have people to call in case you need something that you can't do or get for yourself though.
You probably won't feel so well until you are off of pain meds. I know I felt really icky while on a pain pill.
I noticed you are in Agoura Hills, CA.. I'm in the San Fernando Valley. Maybe we can exchange phone numbers if you want to, & you can always call me if you have questions, etc.
 
How long did you have to take pain pills? I am taking Norco, two white pills , about every seven hours. Do you know if that is too much?
 
Another question, they say that I will have home health care after I am released. What does that mean? Is it pt at home? Did you get shots in the stomach? Will the home health care people help with the shots too?
 
Okay therapy today was the same as last week. Hurtful and boring. But not hurtful enough to throw a fit or anything. My bend is 110 in rt knee and 108 in left knee with a little assistance from the wicked witch of the gym. When I first get there my extension measures +12 in both knees but before I leave it measures +5 in both, so I guess all the massaging and pushing is worth it? I don't know. It feels like I have rubber bands in my legs and I can stretch them out, but when I let go, they snap right back to where they were in the first place.
Sorry I missed this, but anyway here goes...

Snapping right back is exactly what one should expect; imagine if it took just one go to stretch ligaments and they never went back, we'd be all loose and floppy...:)

It's why one has to do stretching exercises little and often (many times a day), to convince the body that the new range of movement is correct. It's also why stretches are of short duration (20-30secs each), so that the body doesn't react and tense up against them.

Extension stretches are shown in my exercises thread from my sig, below. Any good to you?
 
It looks like two of my posts just disappeared. I sent you my number in a private message. Let me know if you got it.
 
I was in rehab for 18 days and was taking 7.5 mg of morphine and then when I got home I took them about a week or maybe two. And that was it for the pain pills. I take two tylenol a day now. I don't know much about pain meds, so you will have to ask the experts on here. Yes I also had home pt for a little while and yes I did physical therapy. Mine only came once a week and I wish it had of been more, but he was very helpful to me. They help you do gentle exercises and then you know what to do the rest of the week by yourself. Yes I got your message.

Good morning Roy. Yes I had seen your exercises for extension. I sit like that with four pound weights on top of my knees and it does help.. Odd thing, if I sat like that and push with my hands the way you are doing, nothing happens, my legs don't seem to move one inch and I feel nothing. Thats why I like the weights.
 
Ah, OK, didn't know you'd seen them. Whatever works for you is cool, hope it continues to improve.
 
Yes, Debbie, that was what I meant about not resting them too much once they've had a chance to heal. My family was surprised at my progress because a relative was just over a year out from TKR and was still "resting" like I did the first week, maybe 2 after TKR. Though I think hers was more the case of enjoying the attention & being waited on hand & foot than not knowing that that degree of rest is not necessary over a year out!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom