Guest viewing is limited

TKR My post-op thread

OK!!!THATS IT!! I think Im done posting when I have a good day, I swear every time I do, it's followed by bad ones. I had a great day Wednesday, then a not so great Thursday, and today was really bad! !! Increased swelling, stiffness, knee and hip pain, lord will this cycle ever end? ?? Increased pain meds again. Im not gonna lie, Im beyond ready for this to end!! #frustrated

I am with you! I was so frustrated lat night and this morning. Will this ever be over, I kept thinking? And I know it will.... Others have handled it. It's just not hard to get down on your self once in a while.
 
Here is a chart Josephine posted on someone's thread. I took a screen shot of it so it would be convenient. It's a great reminder of the time element in the different categories of recovery.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My post-op thread
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 153
@kmann - If it helps at all, your story is very encouraging to one who is barely two weeks out from surgery. You're doing things I can barely imagine doing.. and I'm guessing you've used to feel that way too. I've ready your thread, and overall, you're doing great. :yes:
 
@Braunzie ...thanks for the kind words, it will get better I know, and your right, I have come leaps and bounds from week 2!! I think it's cause Im young for this, and have a super busy life with 2 kids. ..10 and 12, and feel like I need to get going now!! I wonder how Im gonna manage getting school clothing and supplies, and have no choice but to be back to work early August. All these demands I feel responsible for, yet realize at this moment I can't do ask this! Don't get me wrong, hubby and kids have been s good send! But school shopper he is not! !!LOL I think we have decided it will take both of us and a wheel chair to get it done! And Im sure I joined the ODIC last week
 
Hi Kmann,

I am sorry you had such a difficult day after going out and feeling good. I can tell you that I experienced that very thing many times also and I think that is normal with the surgery. Those days that we feel good, we tend to do more and then the next day as a result, the inflammation sets in and causes the pain, stiffness, etc. It's difficult to learn a balance and very frustrating too. I know!! The good news is that as time goes on, you will feel better and will be able to do more without feeling so exhausted and in pain the next day.

I remember feeling as frustrated as you do at the very point in your recovery that you are at. It's hard relying on others and not be able to get up and go!!! You will continue to get better though with each week that passes, but for now, the wheelchair plan is a great idea! That way you can be involved with all the return to school shopping!
 
@kmann just take the school shopping slow. I totally get not wanting to disappoint your kids, so go to a store that will have most of what you want with a list. Can you do any of it on line with the kids? A wheelchair is a good idea, they also have transport chairs that aren't as bulky and I think Target/Walmart may have motorized carts.
I know some schools are going back earlier and earlier. When do your kids go back? Just try to think of September, you'll be so much farther along and able to go to school functions and sporting events that come up at that time.
 
If the store has a wheelchair or motorized cart, use it! I used them for two weeks before surgery until three weeks ago, when I felt I no longer needed them. They were wonderful, and you'll be able to focus on what's important--getting your kids what they need for school.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I used the motorized cart at Walmart post 2 weeks surgery and had a great time! Just buzzed all over the store grabbing what I needed.
 
They go back to school end of August. You guys are so great, I honestly don't know what I would do without this forum! There have been so many times, like right now, that I feel like I'm going to lose my mind and go completely bonkers. It's so wonderful to know that all I have to do is come on here lay my worries out on the table, and tons of fellow TKR people come along, and assure me that I'm not alone, and that this too shall pass. I try my hardest to be patient, I know there are so many people in this world have so many more problems that I do right now, and that makes me feel guilty for the way I feel! I just want my life back to normal so badly, & I know that will happen eventually! Just so wonderful to have a group of people who completely understand and get what I'm going through! I know that I will most likely never meet any of you face to face, but each and everyone of you mean so much to me. Thanks again!
 
@kmann - when I was your age, my girls were ages 14, 13, 11 and 7, and I HATED going back to school shopping with two GOOD knees!! I know it's exhausting! I also know that it wouldn't have been a terribly good idea to pass that job onto my husband.. haha!! He has many fine attributes, but that would not be one of them! :rotfl: It's a great idea to "share" that time with your husband and use an wheel chair or one of those motorized scooters.. It would be so much easier on you and you could concentrate on getting "down to business" and "getting to done"..
I'm not even at 2 weeks yet (will be tomorrow) and I "feel like I need to get going!!" Hahaha!! I'm sure you will get through fine.. and I'm sure your kids will understand, to some degree anyway, that this year needs to be different than previous years. You can still probably wait another couple weeks even, before venturing out on that, and that will let you be that much further ahead.. using the cart could actually be kinda of fun.. :heehee: Looking forward to hearing your progress. :)
 
Well guess I didn't really learn anything last week, today I am a member of the ODIC AGAIN!!! Left home at like 930 this morning, daughter had a doctors appointment.. took both children out to lunch at a local restaurant, dropped them off at the YMCA, had an hour to kill before physical therapy, so I went by the clinic where I work and visited with the girls for an hour. Then went to physical therapy, where they worked me pretty hard today, but proud to say I now measure 115/1. Then I decided I still hadn't had enough, so I went to the grocery store for about 30 minutes. You know what that means when you get home you have to put it all away! Decided I wad still feeling pretty good, hubby was mowing the grass, so I decided to drag out the barbecue grill and grill some hot dogs. Needless to say now I'm laying in bed and my knee hurts, got it all icef up, so hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. Guess I'm making progress if I was able to do all that today though!
 
It is what it is, things have to get done, but prepare to keep that leg up and iced today. We always have to pay for a busy day.
 
I know...its so hard to stop myself on those good days!!! I feel good, and knee feels free and mobile...but then last night BAM!!!Here comes the swelling....but I honestly think it was worth it to feel free and useful again, even if only for 1 day!!! LOL, Im sure these free days will increase and get closer together. Hang in their peeps that are behind me (I will be 7 weeks tomorrow), brighter days are coming, trust me I know it feels like they never will. Just give it time
 
You're very right--give it time. Maybe a guide for you is to do one less thing than you *think* you can do to avoid the ODIC. :)
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom