THR My new left hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad you are willing to consider a second opinion. You certainly should not have to wait for anything except a good revision of this bad job!
 
There arnt many people who wouldnt be depressed in your situation yamandy , youve been through such a lot of trauma and pain, my heart really goes out to you. Its really been a horror story for you. Research for that 2nd opinion, this horrible time will pass and you will get through this. I think you are very brave, shown a lot of courage, and once this terrible ordeal is over you can put this behind you and the depression will lift.

Thinking of you. X
 
@Thanks Ive got to do something been in this brace for 5 days now and every thing i do feels bad and every twinge frightens me, so if a revision will fix it and give me some peace of mind that would be awesome.
 
@Kay9 Thank you your posts have been very encouraging and I am trying to include you and your situation in my prayers
 
Oh Yamandy! I've been reading your thread and you have every right to feel frightened and depressed. Who wouldn't be?! But I agree with the other posters that you need another opinion....I think you really need to go to an "expert"! I don't have any confidence in this brace thing and I would seek out someone else asap. Do you know the specialists in your area? Is there anyway you can get to the Hospital of Special Surgery in NY or NYU? I seem to remember there were some revision specialists in FL, but can't for the life of me remember what threads I read them on. Perhaps do a search of the threads? You are in my thoughts and prayers for a resolution to this awful situation....please keep up your spirits! Hugs to you.
 
Thankyou @yamandy , i appreciate that. How are you feeling today? I too hope you can get this revision..nobody should have to have gone through what you have, and the thought that youve been told you might have to wait for another dislocation makes me feel quite angry to be honest. Im sure if whoever said that to you was the one going through the pain of dislocation, they wouldnt feel that way!

Surely the hip cant dislocate whilst in a brace though? It must be terrifying to be scared of every movement, for fear of dislocation, I admire the way youve handled this, I would be in a perpetual state of panic, and screamimg from the rooftops that I want this sorted, and NOW! You have patience where I wouldnt have and I dont think anyone wouldnt be depressed, youve been put through an ordeal that shouldnt have happened. But this isnt permanent yamandy. You have to keep hold of that thought. This WILL be sorted, it HAS to be sorted, and this awful ordeal will just be a memory one day...one day in the near future. You will be walking Zeus the wonder-dog, both of you having come through adversity concerning limbs and surviving it, zeus with his three legs and you with a fully functioning new hip. Stay strong, shout for your revision and dont stop shouting until they hear you and act on it. You will get there. X
 
@mydog thanks for the well wishes unfourtanately new York is a bit out of my travel range. If you do remember where I might find those revision specialists names let me know and thanks again for the mental boost.
 
@Kay9 hi feeling a little better today thanks everyday farther away from the dislocation the more my usual positive attitude is trying to return. No I dont think it can dislocate while in the brace but every movement still freaks me out. I have these flashes all the time of my hip dislocating like flash backs and premonitions at the same time really creepy.
 
@yamandy - I can certainly relate to the flashbacks regards your dislocation. I had a fairly horrid fall several months ago and whenever I walk into the room where it happened I can picture the event. I do hope as you have indicated that as each day passes, the memory will fade for you :)
 
Hello everyone, well just went to the OS yesterday for a 3 week post dislocation check. I was told that I basically shredded all the repairs he did to the muscles surrounding the hip area. I am wearing the brace religiously 23 and a half hours each day. From what I understand I am to wear the brace for 3 more weeks during which time he hopes that scar tissue will form that will help to hold the hip in place. The bad part is that he says that I now have an 80 to 90 percent chance of dislocating again. He told me about 2 options for revision surgery one involving lengthening my affected leg the other placing a ring in the cup but he says the rings wear out quickly and with me being only 51 it would be problematic. I think I would like to get a second opinion from someone. If anyone could point me towards some good revision surgeons in the Miami south Florida area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
@yamandy I'm not sure how close Dr. Preetesh Patel from the Cleveland Clinic Florida is, but from what I've read, he's one of the top surgeons for revisions. Don't let the name of the clinic fool you, as they are in Florida. Here is the link...best wishes and prayers sent your way!

broken link removed: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/ccf/media/files/Florida/Orthopaedic-News-0512.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@yamandy. Welcome to my world. Had a hip resurfacing and 3 yrs later dislocated at work A classroom full of pre schoolers. In er for what seemed like hrs with the pain as you know is indescribable The attending surgeon popped it back in. I then had a revision 2010
My surgeon is a pro. Fixed hip and also did knee
Hope you find the right dr. Just to ease your mind the 2nd time was a breeze could have walked home from hospital
Good luck to you. As you can see from my thread I've had so many body parts replaced have to do 1 more but keep putting it off
Susanne



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
Rt hip resurfacing 2007
Rt hip revision 2010
Rt shoulder replacement
LTKR 2014
 
@yamandy please keep us updated on your search. If the surgeon is too busy, I'd be happy to search further for you. U.S. World News ranks hospitals and surgeons across the nation and Beckers Spine Review (not limited to spines, but knees and hips as well) is also a great source for checking hospitals and surgeons out.
 
@Josephine my os keeps talking about my hip scarring in while I'm in this brace for six weeks but I don't understand why it would scar in any better this six weeks than it did the first 7 weeks before the first dislocation or the 6 weeks after that. If you could shed any light on this scarring in thing it would be appreciated. I go back to the surgeon next Thursday and am supposed to get out of the brace but I am so panicky it is not funny. I am still looking for a revision surgeon to get a second opinion. Thank you.
 
why it would scar in any better this 6 weeks than it did the first 7 weeks before the first dislocation
I think your surgeon saying he's expecting scarring to develop. Because in that way, what he's talking about is the capsule healing and becoming secure again. Perhaps at the time it dislocated, the capsule wasn't very well healed and the action of t coming out, tore the tissue open again. That's why he put you in the brace to keep it still so it would heal. It sounds like that is the premise he is working on, anyway. Is this clearer?

BTW, this is nothing to do with scar tissue - or more correctly, adhesions - that cause problems with function of the joint. That's something else entirely.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom