TKR My new knee

@pegleg
What is it you enjoy so much more now that you've had a few months to try out your new knee?

To read about Pegleg's (Andrew) journey from a fused knee to a reversal with a TKR, thought I'd share links to his threads and what he went through to gain a brand knee working knee.

Thread 1 Introduction - Getting ready for a new knee

Thread 2- Post Surgery - New Knee


and the potted version of the reversal from fused knee to a TKR:
.... the first part of the procedure was to have a tissue expander fitted to the left leg where the knee would have been. The reason for this is to stretch all the soft tissues so when the knee was fitted it would have enough slack to bend.

The tissue expander was toped up every week until it could not take any more liquid which was about 450m. The filling of the tissue expander was the most painful part of having the knee rebuilt, You just got on top of the pain then it was time for the next injection, don’t bother taken pain meds for this they don’t work.

After six or so months it was time to have the TKR done which was a lot less painful the having the bag filled. I did have one problem with the bone splitting and this put me back three months due to been no weight bearing. Today I have around a 110 ROM no pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@pegleg I'm after some advice please. I'm having major problems with my TKR. In fact I've no knee at the moment just a non-arcticulating cement spacer and an immobiliser brace. I have been like this for 13 weeks, no infection. Surgeon has mentioned twice about a fusion but I don't really want one. The major negatives I see are:

In bed not being able to get comfortable, sleeping on my back all the time and pressure on both back and heels.
Trouble getting into cars and sitting in them.
Sitting in general especially in confined spaces.

Please can you add to the list from your own experience, it would be most helpful. I have told the surgeon I would rather have an amputation than a fusion. He said 'we are not ready for that yet'

Many thanks
 
Good to hear from you! :wave: Add me to the list of the curious. :)
 
The morning of Friday our first morning I went to take my pain meds and to my shock we did not have the Nucynta oh my god what to do so I thought to myself that I would be fine for 5 days.
On the Friday we drove to a casino in
Nevada with family I thought I was feeling anxious but could not put my finger on it.

On Friday night the elevator decided to breakdown while we were taken it to the casino it lasted on 3 minutes or so but I was shaking and sweeting and very very anxious also that night I could not sleep I was having an anxiety attack seeing lights on the celling and sounds in my head I just put it down to what happened in the elevator early in the day
On Saturday we went shopping and had a meal out but I was still very anxious and could not get it out of my head. That night I went to bed but the my anxiety was running at light speed I jumped up and said to Agnes I must go the hospital at this point I did not think I would be able to get on the plane home.


At the hospital the DR said that she never heard of the drug and could only give me some Percocet for the pain and she was not understanding about my issue and said that they do not have that drug in the USA and would not give me any meds for the anxiety and then she discharged me. Agnes thought the MD thought I was a drug addict and that’s why she was not nice to me.


I went to the all night cvs drugstore and was talking to the lady and she said that they stock the Nucynta but she said that the Percocet should work but I would have to take two every three hours to help with the symptoms.

The Meds help me but I still had the anxiety at times but we did make it back home safe and sound. I forgot to say the reason for the meds was for my back pain which came back on Monday night and the meds did not work on the pain at all.

So now I am back on the meds with no pain
 
Hi Pegleg,
Sorry you had such a bad experience, glad you are back on your Meds and out of pain.
How is your knee doing?
 
I took Nucynta for a week because Demerol was back ordered. It didn't feel like it was doing much for me. Hopefully you will be ok!
 
The Nucynta is now working on my back and no more withdrawal symptoms thank god one of the DR I had a nerve test with says that I have FMS.

When the DR need the nerve test he said all was fine but I kept telling him the shoulder and neck and arms don't hurt when lying down so the test would not be true. I am still waiting for the neurosurgeon in August I just want to be out of pain
Pegleg
 
I suffer from anxiety normally. But during all of this...my anxiety has heightened drastically. I hope you are doing better.
 
:console2:The doc should have looked it up if he was unfamiliar with it. Dweeb.
 
Still having problems with the meds still having anxiety attacks hot then cold went the DR and told me he did not know what he could do ended up at the hospital and they give me some Percocet and told me to take them to help with the withdrawal.

The next day went back to the DR. and asked if we should cut back on the nu and he thought that was a good idea.

I went to the pharmacist and he said I should not be cutting back on the meds and said if anything i should be going up not down.

I don't know what to do suffering and its terrible.

pegleg
 
Sorry to hear you are having problems, sounds like you need to be referred to someone more familiar with theses medications to find a combination that works for you.
Wishing you all the best and hoping you find some answers.
 
So is this a GP you're dealing with? When do you get to see the neurosurgeon?
 
I am glad you are seeing a neurosurgeon this month. My neurologist is the only doctor I have that understands and treats my pain. I hope you find the same in your appointment and get some relief!
 
Knee is great but had surgery on my spine C5 andC6. Had the disc removed and had a small fusion done. Feels good but some nerve damage in the arms.

Now it looks like my lower back needs to to be done. Has any one had this lower back surgery and did it work? Mine in L5, S1 and S/I.

Thanks
Pegleg
 
Back
Top Bottom