TKR My new knee journey

So glad you are home, you know the drill, you are an expert by now. I hope the pain gets better soon :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like you know how to take care of yourself. Being able to get up to the anthropomorphic sounds awesome! My operative report noted the time under tourniquet so that's the way to find out. But I've heard others on BS experience that sensation.
 
Welcome home! You must be doing great to be discharged so early. I hope that thigh pain goes away ASAP. I am glad that this surgery seems easier than the first. Rest well!
 
Welcome Home @Majella! Healing hugs & prayers for you as you recover your brand new knee!

.
[Bonesmart.org] My new knee journey
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear everything went well and that you are home already. You know the BoneSmart mantras, and won't go far wrong. Hoping you stay comfortable. Rest and :ice:
Tabby xxx
 
Good to hear you came through well and are at home icing! I used mine day and night fir two weeks, then suddenly just didn't need it as much and switched to big gel packs. But the first critical weeks, it is sheer bliss!
 
Yeah! It's over and you're home. Don't hesitate to call OS if you need more pain medication or have questions. Rest and recover . . . :flwrysmile:
 
Welcome home!
Here's the BoneSmart recovery reading list again - as a reminder, and so you have it handy.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Great that you were able to get back home so soon. You are much better off there. It sounds like you're doing great! You know what to expect and that's half the battle!
 
Last night was a bad one...so much more pain at 3AM:groan:and now my knee is really swollen. Ice and elevation along with pain meds didn't seem to help much, so I put a call into my OS office and left a message, now waiting for them to call back:sigh:
 
Oh my, please let us know what he says and how you're doing!
 
Majella, I am saying prayers for your pain right now. Good for you for calling OS for better pain control!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
"Many Thanks" for your support and kind words :wave:
OS changed my meds and I slept better last night, however hubby said there were lots of cracker crumbs in the bed :heehee: I take them to settle my stomach while on pain pills :sigh:
Today I have been having bouts of crying :cry: I think sometimes the pain meds do this to me, along with feeling helpless. However this time around I know it's only temporary!
uva55,mamazipp, Floridagal, birdwatchr, Tabbycat, Suz, greatlakes,TML,celle,sistersinhim sheliac,
and everyone else i forgot to mention:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad you were able to sleep. I hope you feel better soon...pain pills change my mood also, like you said at least this time around you know it will pass.
 
I just cried today after taking an Oxy. It has worn off and I feel much better emotionally! Get rid of one pain and get another one!
 
I've had more crying bouts in this month than in the whole last year! You are in good company. Glad the new pain pills are working better.
 
I'm sorry the blues have hit with a vengeance, I think it's the meds, and probably some of it is the trauma the body's been through. If we'd been through an accident which caused this much injury we would feel traumatised. I hope the pain pills continue to help and that you get some decent sleep again tonight.
It's very early days, so take it easy and rest.
Tabby xxx
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom