TKR My new knee journey

The injection worked a bit but I can still feel pain at different times. It tends to lock up momentarily at times so I know that's not such a good sign. I wish I could just go ahead and get it done but because of work I have to wait. Lucky me that will be replacement #3 counting the revision!
 
I hope with persistent bending and stretching I can get to 120....is that possible? My Physical therapist said it's difficult to get to 120 and beyond just because of the new knee hardware, anyone ever hear of this ? or get past 120?
Your PT doesn't know what she's talking about! Of course it's possible. BUT you really don't need to do "persistent bending and stretching". It's actually quite an efficient way of ensuring you don't get it! Normal activity will be quite sufficient.
I'm 4½ months post-op now and things are improving, however I still have a lot of stiffness (no apparent swelling) and some occasional pain in the middle of my knee cap when I walk more than 6 blocks, plus I get pretty exhausted at the end of the day. Just wondering if this in normal for where I'm at in the recovery process.
Perfectly normal and it wouldn't have been had you abandoned the "persistent bending and stretching" a long time ago! In fact, you just might have already got passed it.

BoneSmart philosophy for post op therapy
 
@Josephine
Thanks for your expert advice! once again you saved me another call to my OS office. This is what I love about the Bonesmart forum, I always receive so much support and advice from those who have been down this rocky road of recovery. :thankyou:
 
@Majella Yours was a good question and I appreciated Josephine's answer. It's the way we learn. Today is my nine week anniversary and wonder about how much I should be doing at this point. Josephine told us. Now to abide by it. I am riding my exercise bike for 10 minutes twice a day and that's about it.
 
@Floridagal
Hi Amy Jo, you are doing a great job with the ex bike! keep up the good work! i think our bodies and our Knee will let us know how much we can handle. When I'm in a hurry to get to much done, my knee lets me know, I must slow down and take it easy :umm:
 
Hello All,
Just checking in with an update. It's been a little over 5 months since my Rt. TKR. Yesterday I had a final appt. with PT just to check my muscle strength and ROM. I couldn't believe I reached 120/0 ROM .:yes!: However my knee is still very stiff and numb and I have to really push to get at 120. Given some time, it may help with both of those issues.
I'm scheduled for surgery on my Lt. knee Sept 19... Yikes :scaredycat:I'm really getting scared because I had such poor pain control the first time around. I'll be leaning on the shoulders of you wonderful folks here on bonesmart for moral support once again :console2:
 
Moral support coming up! Seriously though, I do feel for you going through this again. At least this time round you'll have all the advice and encouragement from all at BoneSmart.You've achieved excellent ROM with your right knee, though I know it's taken some time. Seems like the stiffness can hang around longer than we'd like, let's hope it eases up in time. Since your first post was 6 weeks after your surgery I wondered what problems you had with pain control, only I had similar issues and know how you feel.
Tabby xxx
 
I had pain control problems with my first surgery but the OS who did the second surgery was able to work with me and I was able to achieve good pain control without any of the negative side effects. Make sure you have a good discussion with your OS and have a game plan if what to try. Make sure that he has a couple of different ones on mind to try and also meds to handle nausea too.
 
You have great ROM...we will be here for you after your upcoming surgery, you can do this, you are now a pro!!!
 
Reaching out to Bonesmart folks out there:wave:... I'm thinking about buying an ice machine and would like some advice from anyone that has used them and what their experience has been.
thanks!!
 
I didn't have one for my original TKR .but I bought one for my revision and I loved it. I used it for at least three months. Depending upon the machine it can stay cold for 8 or more hours. Since I will need my other knee done at some point I went all out and spent a bit of money to get one I thought would work best for me.
 
I absolutely loved my ice machine. I was able to borrow mine from my ex-husband.....it is a Breg Kodiak, and I learned after 3 months when I found Bonesmart to use frozen water bottles instead of ice cubes. Lasts about 6 hours to f blessed relief and easy to switch out the bottles.
I think that going into knee #2, you won't be so gobsmacked about the early recovery and the early pain.....it may be different but you are more prepared about what to likely expect.
 
@Majella
Try to discuss the issue of post op pain control with your team before you have your second TKR. Tell them that your pain was not adequately controlled last time and ask for a better plan from the start.
 
@mamazipp
Thanks for the info, I'm actually thinking of ordering a Breg Polar ice machine so great info you gave me!
what size water bottles do you use? and also, do you add water to the ice machine along with the frozen water bottles? My surgery is about 2 weeks from now, so I'm getting pretty apprehensive even tho I'v already been through this, it's still scary :scare:
 
I used the small water bottles. I didn't think the taller ones would fit. I used combos of water bottles and one of those blue lunch box ice things. I put them in then filled up to the line marked, with water. Then jiggled the top to fit snugly. It took some maneuvering but not as much as filling with ice cubes. Take the labels off the bottles so you don't get paper getting loose in the water. You can throw in ice cubes, one tray if you want, but not necessary. Do what's easiest, it will work fine. Experiment beforehand.
 
I have a Breg Polar Care Cube which the OS gave me. Regular size water bottles were to big to fit in it and I wasn't able to get out and go shopping for the small size. It was hard keeping the machine filled with ice and since I live alone it was a hassle to empty. I gave up on it early and used frozen gel bags. I suspect what you are looking at is larger.
 
@mamazipp and @Floridagal
Thank you both for your advice, this helps a lot! I really didn't want to mess with all those ice cubs, so the frozen water bottles do seem much easier to work with! looks like I'll be back to icing again real soon :ice:
 
'Ice cubs' made me smile. I had visions of these:
[Bonesmart.org] My new knee journey
 
Hello Everyone,
Surgery on my other knee (Lt) was done yesterday(Monday), and I just got home today (exactly 24 hours after my surgery) I was a little worried about being discharged so soon, but I'm glad to be home.
This surgery went so much easier than my Rt. knee. I was up walking the same day and went to the bathroom at least 6 times last night, I kept the nurses hopping :heehee:
My biggest problem right now is that I'm having a lot of thigh pain, they think it may be due to the tourniquet used during surgery, I then wondered how darn long it was on there??? :thud:
Right now I'm stretched out on the sofa, Lt leg up on pillows with my new ice machine running (so glad I bought one) they work amazing well :yes:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom