TKR My new knee journey

@Suz Is it safe to mix these drugs tramadol and tylenol? does tramadol contain a tylenol blend?
I like the chart you posted just wondering if these are safe to mix?
 
I have been taking the combination according to the chart for 5wks now and it has absolutely controlled my pain.

My Primary Care Physician said I was fine to take the combination within the times listed.

So for me, the fact my PCP ok'd it, Josephine, Nurse Director of Bonesmart endorses it as well as the Mayo Clinic and many others, I believe they are perfectly safe to mix!

If you do an online search: 'Is it safe to take Tylenol with Tramadol together', you'll see many articles that also state it is safe!

:SUNsmile:
 
@Suz Is it safe to mix these drugs tramadol and tylenol? does tramadol contain a tylenol blend?
I like the chart you posted just wondering if these are safe to mix?
Yes, it's safe to mix them, and mixing them works very well for pain relief. That chart is Josephine's, our Nurse Director. It's what she recommends.

Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic, milder than the big guns. I doesn't contain any Tylenol.
 
Sometimes I can use the Tramadol/Tylenol mix during the day for pain relief. I still need the Oxy at night, but look forward to the day when I can switch to the mix for nighttime pain, too.
 
I'm just past 3 months post surgery now and I felt like I was really turning the corner with my energy level getting better ...well today I woke up and it was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other! so exhausted and felt I was moving in s-l-o-w motion.
I went on a walk and could hardly make it home thinking OMG I really need to lay down and take a nap! My sleep at night is getting a little better, so I can't blame it on that. Pain controlled with Tamadol/Tylenol.
Anyone experience this energy drain this far out from surgery?
 
Had your weekend been busier? I don't think is unusual to be having energy drain at 3 months. I'm just 2 weeks ahead of you and I've had times of still feeling pooped. But they are fewer and far between but I definitely still have them.
 
I'm just past 3 months post surgery now and I felt like I was really turning the corner with my energy level getting better ...well today I woke up and it was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other! so exhausted and felt I was moving in s-l-o-w motion.
I went on a walk and could hardly make it home thinking OMG I really need to lay down and take a nap! My sleep at night is getting a little better, so I can't blame it on that. Pain controlled with Tamadol/Tylenol.
Anyone experience this energy drain this far out from surgery?

I'm just over a week ahead of you in my recovery, @Majella. I am struggling w/ my walk, as I still have a limp. My leg won't straighten to zero, and this is affecting my gait, my back, etc.

Most days, when I get get home from work, I do need a bit of down time, but this has lessened over the course of 3 1/2 months. I don't wake up exhausted as you've described, but some days I wake up and my leg is stiffer than normal. I haven't take any narcotics, but doesn't the Tramadol make you sleepy to begin with? Is it possible that's affecting you? I have noticed that I am stiffer a bit more worn out after a) consuming alcohol b) challenged myself with either more strenuous exercise or increased the duration of exercise on the previous day.

The one thing I've worked out since mid-March, is that this isn't a very predictable experience. Some days I feel better than others, and I don't know why. Other days, I have slight aches and pains, and I can't work out what to attribute these aches and pains to. I've just come to accept the inconsistencies and be appreciative that every week I see improvements in some way, shape or form.

Good luck to you!
 
Try to set up a slow progression of activity. You've had to be inactive a long time with illness during that time. You won't just bounce back at once, make sure you slowly increase each day. Being inactive in itself leads to not having energy when it's more than a few days. And even tramadol can make you drowsy. I find that on any opiate type drugs that it can hit after a few days of normal activity and I just want to sleep all day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and encouragement!
I went to see my primary Dr. today for my yearly f/u. I mentioned that I feel ache all over with little energy someday's worse than others, she wants to increased my Vit D (apparently lack of can cause tiredness) and start me on cymbalta (works as a good muscle skeletal pain reliever) so....hoping this new plan will work.
 
I hope you find some relieve with the additional meds!
 
Good luck with your new meds!
 
The vitamin D etc. may be helpful--but I can tell you it took me more than 3 months to get all my energy back. That's partly why they say it is a year long recovery. Each month was better.
 
@kneeper
thanks for your advice... I kinda knew it would be a long recovery but it's good to hear that others struggle with energy issues along the way! I will be starting all over again come Sept: having Lt. TKR surgery :gaah:
 
I'm two days ahead of you and I can tell you that my energy has not returned to normal at all. I went back to work three weeks ago and I work 10-11 hour days on my feet. I am sooooo exhausted by day's end I can barely move at the end of my drive home. I usually will work one or two days in a row and need every minute of the next one or two days to rest. I'm going for a checkup Wednesday with my PCP to make sure there's no other reason for my exhaustion.
 
I went to see my primary Dr. today for my yearly f/u. I mentioned that I feel ache all over with little energy someday's worse than others, she wants to increased my Vit D (apparently lack of can cause tiredness) and start me on cymbalta (works as a good muscle skeletal pain reliever) so....hoping this new plan will work.
Those things may help a little, but the energy drain is going to be with you for a while yet. It's part of the healing process, as most of your energy is being directed towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for other activities.
Remember this article?
Energy drain for TKRs
 
I was reading "Depression/Post-op Blues" area on Bonesmart because depression hit me hard after surgery! I'm normally not a depressed person but OMG after my TKA, I became a shrinking violet and cried often:boohoo: not understanding what was happening to me. I look back now and can see the symptoms much easier: Pain, whole body changes,isolation, lack of sleep, frustration, loss of independence, scared "will I ever get my life back" !! Yup... all building up to Depression!:umm:
i had an appt the other day with my GP and addressed this to her, she said I wish I would have know this because we could have started you on short term CYMBALTA for the depression , that works well for muscular skeletal pain as well!
So now looking down the road to my up coming Lt. TKA in Sept, I will start on this med and see if it works.
Just thought I would chime in on this issue and see if anyone else has went through the depression nightmare?
 
I certainly did but it was relatively short lived. The narcotics helped me sleep which helped. And when feeling really anxious I spent much of my time in those 'dark' days posting here in BoneSmart! A distraction I guess!
 
I go through bouts of it. The less sleep I have, it seems the easier to get depressed. I'm like @Suz. I come here and read about all my friends' day and hope I can be of some help! On yeah, and take that nice nap! It's something about sleep that makes things better.
 
Hi @Majella
I've just been reading your recent posts, and wanted to say everything you are experiencing really struck a chord with how I am at the moment. The exhaustion, which seems to be worse despite better sleep, the depression ( I cried all day yesterday, I felt like it was the end of the world) the reliance on others, and frustration at not being able to do things that need doing. It's not 'just the knee' I think it's the whole experience and the toll it takes. Bonesmart has been helpful in addressing these issues, I don't think any medical staff really prepare you for what it's going to be like. I'd like you to know you are not alone by any means, if that helps. I hope you benefit from the new medication, I'd be very interested to know if it helps.
Love, Tabby xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom