Bilateral THR My New Hips Are Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jen,
re the scar tissue question, my incision lines are also very thin and straight, but still somewhat tender and as yet I am not game to wear jeans or anything that may feel heavy or rub the area, I am wearing light fabric clothing, luckily we are in summer down here. I am lightly massaging bio oil in twice daily, it smells nice and seems to take the stinging feeling from the skin and absorbes well for me anyway.
I too would like to thank and praise the moderators for this forum as I have learnt a lot, and appreciate the support from members, at times it helps to feel we are not alone with our recovery questions and sometimes feeling down.
 
Thank you all!

Sue, my incisions are also still a little bit sensitive and I've been sticking to wearing loose shorts or sweatpants. That is until today, when my little brother refused to drive me to the mall so that I could buy new sneakers for therapy. Why you ask? Because I was wearing sweatpants. According to him, you should never wear sweatpants on a trip that involves anything other than going to the supermarket or the pharmacy. I stared at him for about 5 minutes then asked who appointed him the High Emperor of the Fashion Police. He was not amused. But I kept quiet because I needed to get to the mall for my shoes.

On a related note, I had my first PT session at the facility I described earlier in the thread. The PT's evaluation of me pretty much reiterated what my in-home PT had said and what I already knew. My hip flexors and quads are very tight and will need a lot of stretching. Frankly the tightness is so bad that I am skeptical as to whether or not the muscles will ever regain their old flexibility. Then again the first week after surgery the muscles were even tighter and I was convinced back then that I would never be able to straighten my hips and stand up straight. Yet here I am. So there's always hope.
 
:hysterical: Little brothers can be such pests at times! I know what you mean about wanting loose and soft clothing near those hips. I have several pairs of very soft flannel pajama bottoms that I've been wearing for the past 2 1/2 months - one pair is plain black and I've worn them out of the house with noone being the wiser ..... they look like black slacks :loll:

Hang in there with the PT - those muscles will loosen up and you should be able to return to previous flexibility .... .but it does take a while and persistence with the exercises.

Heehee just noticed on the BS hip recovery area list - we've got a convention of BTHRs going here - good thing - we need to stick together :)
 
Jen,
Hahahaha.....luv it:) I think a lot of us followed that same path.....I lived in yoga pants for about 6 weeks post-op. Finally, my partner who is soooo not a fashion guy noticed and asked when was I going to wear "real" clothes!

Sounds like you are doing great, especially for a double! Getting those muscles back takes a while and lots off PT. Keep up the great work, it does get better:)
Dee
 
Jen:

FYI - What Not to Wear says to NEVER wear sweat pants in public unless you are at the gym. Period. Especially bad if there is wording on the butt!:loll:

Your little brother ROCKS!
 
Jen,

Glad you got out to get your new sneakers. I live in knit pants, call them my uniform, a thing only us hippies probably understand. Take care. What brand and type of sneakers did you get?
 
Yoga pants for the first 4 weeks post op, heaven!!:th_heehee: I find the easiest pair of jeans to get into post op are the ones with lots of stretch in them.

I need to follow your lead and go shoe shopping myself. Im really, really picky about shoes, so shoe shopping for me isnt at all exciting. But Im down to 2 pairs of shoes now.:rolleyespink: I just noticed the other day how much I wore out my L shoe compared to my R shoe on my favorite pair pre op and if I wear them now Im walking horribly!
 
Deb, I envy you your pajama-bottoms-masquerading-as-slacks.

Dee, I was actually thinking that black yoga pants might be better because they kind of sort of look "nicer" than traditional sweatpants but I guess that's a no too. Blast you Fashion Police:hissyfit:.

Chef, as the owner of a butt that rivals the Mississippi River in width, I take care not to wear anything that calls more attention to it. No cutesy wording for me.:loll:

Dianemarie, I bought a pair of the New Balance 409 style cross trainers. They aren't the cutest sneakers but since I'm using them for rehab and then my future workouts, I had to go with function over form.

Haldox, looking at the soles of my sneakers is really what sent me running (well, driving courtesy of the High Emperor of Fashion) to the store for a new pair. The soles were worn down in odd places thanks to the combo of my flat fleet and bad pre-surgery hips.
 
Jen, I think it's time you gave your baby brother the wedgie he so richly deserves for that comment about your sweats. He'll be the first to whine and moan when he gets HIS hip done one day.
 
Jen,

If you could all see what I have been wearing the last 6 weeks you would laugh... (or cry).

Since I tend to squeeze in a little bit of stretching or a spin on the stationary bike or something on the floor THROUGHOUT the day I wear whatever is comfy and allows plenty of movement. I did graduate to actual workout shorts for the bike and rower a couple weeks ago since I can actually work up a sweat. Colors, plaids, stripes WHATEVER is fine and my family and I have an informal competition of which bad clothing match looks worst.

And I know what you mean about having doubts about the stretching. Given that my new leg has been stretched to add some length....the muscles are being stretched ALL the time. In a touching toes move I used to be able to get close to a palm on the floor...(at least knuckes, can still do it on my right side) and now my fingertips on the left (doing the toes touches one at a time) are all of 3 inches ABOVE the floor. :hate-shocked:​

This is gonna take awhile...if ever...

Hope you like your new shoes...I went to get some new trail running shoes and was looking at a pair of New Balance (which tend to fit me well) and had all the features I wanted. Once I put them on in the store I realized that I need to be closer to my new gait and stride before I can assess the feel (for running). I was not able to assess how they bounce and roll at all...YET!

Z
 
Hi Jen,

You are doing so well! Ignore your baby brother...I have one of those and he knows better than to make comments like that silly silly! Thank goodness though he is around to run you around though!

I still live in my yoga pants, nice and comfy! I went back to wearing my jeans last week purely because my bum was getting bigger and I think in yoga pants everything stretches with jeans they quickly tell you toback of eating food YIKES!

I have some Merrill's and MBT shoes which I love, I will admit this though and I know they are not the greatest (so the real foot places say)I love my nike air max I wear them daily to walk Miles, even got a brand new pair just haven't worn them yet.

Wishing you good healing!

xxooxx
 
Hi Jen
Sorry the Fashion Police little brother had to pop off to you. Jamie got it right he deserves a wedgie for that. I guess thats the best part of being 53, I dont really care lol. Ive been to the movies and even a retirement party in my sweats.

Sorry to hear about those tight muscles, you are still recovering and Im sure things will loosen up for you.

Im so glad that you keep that great sense of humor.

Best of luck.
 
I wanted to thank Jen and the rest of you for your comments, chatter, and humor. When I was at a low point at day 7 after my BTHR (Feb 14, '12) I found you all, and you have NO idea how much you helped me. So thanks! I'd do a happy hippo hipster dance, buy I'm kind of comfy...
 
Jen, in the same boat as most! I wear whatever is comfortable and, sometimes, it can be a really odd combination! I ahd a walk down our road in over-sized shorts, slippers and a jacket yesterday.

But who cares? We are healing!

As for the tight muscles, slowly and gently does it. You've obviously made massive progress so far so just keep at it - I'm sure you have a hundred and one exercises you have been give (I have!). Keep at them!
 
Hi Jen,

I think you've read some of my thread as you seem to know about those dreaded slippers etc. So you will know that I'm also suffering from concrete quads which, I have to say like you, I could never imagine becoming flexible again ..... BUT it's gradually happening!

I'm sure your Physio (PT) has given you exercises to do for those quads but I'll tell you my most effective ones just in case he hasn't given you them.

1) Foot of operated leg on bottom step of stairs or whatever and with the other leg bent lean forward until you get the pain .... try not to bounce and keep it painful for 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
2) When you can, hook your toes up behind you onto a chair or whatever you can manage .... again bend the non op leg and gradually sink down until your quads feel like they'll burst and hold for 10! Do it 10 times!!

Hope they help you as much as they've helped me.

Love

Charlie
 
Jamie, I would love to give baby brother a wedgie. But did I mention that "baby" brother is 6' 4" (with giraffe legs) while I am barely 5' (with legs like a Corgi dog):hissyfit:? I'd probably need a crane to get me up high enough to do it.

Z, I used to be a "palms to the floor" person too! And in the supine hamstring stretch where you lift your leg and bring it down towards you, I used to be able to get my foot by my head. Now I'm celebrating the fact that my leg is starting to go past 90 degrees! Isn't so weird to lose something that used to be so automatic? It's a lesson in patience if nothing else.

Sarah, you are so right about the loose, stretchy pants being a tad too forgiving of those indulgences. Funny how a few weeks ago I could barely finish one meal in a day and now I can inhale any food that comes my way. Oh cupcakes, why must you be so tasty?

Tom, if I were capable of driving myself I'd be right there with you at the movies in my comfy sweats. And anyone who had any complaints could say hello to my little cane. Cane, meet the head of an obnoxious person. But I'm not ready for jail yet so I won't. For now.

Hipster you are a doll :friends:. Thank YOU for joining and sharing your recovery.

Yellowgopher, I am sure you looked fabulous in your ensemble. And frankly, when you've had the top of both thighbones sawed off and metal spikes hammered in, you can wear what you like I say.

Charlie, stretch #2 I'm currently doing but stretch #1 sounds really good. Thanks!

And using the subject of concrete quads I will segue into raving about my new outpatient PT facility. Those of you who have kindly been reading my ramblings might remember that I mentioned being excited about an upcoming visit to an out-patient facility associated with the hospital where I had originally wanted my surgery. Well, I visited and was rather underwhelmed. The facility was nice enough and my PT was nice enough but something seemed off. On top of that, the travel time was significant so I was in no great rush to go back. The next day I decided to call the facility that my in-home PT had recommended. Yes, the same in-home PT whose name I had cursed to the heavens and who I occasionally wanted to impale with my cane. But as I admitted, in the end he did a great job and had me up and moving independently in a very short amount of time. So I made my first trek to the new PT place last week and found heaven. The space is great and my new PT is fantastic (old PT specifically recommended her). Two things that immediately stood out: 1) Every session starts with 10 minutes of moist heat on your affected area(s). My quads were singing after this. Then at the very end of your session they give you 10 minutes of ice to calm the muscles down. Magic. 2) The therapists are very hands-on. After I had completed my exercises, my PT took me to a therapy table and proceeded to work on softening my incision scars, massaging out my quads and IT band, and stretching out my hamstrings and glutes. This is exactly what I was looking for but did not get at the first outpatient facility. There, the PT just had me do some exercises and gave me one stretch to do by myself at the end. At the current place I got the heat, manual therapy, and ice right from the first visit. I am VERY happy with this place and I actually enjoy my visits. So yay for PT facilities that really care about making the clients better :yay:.
 
Jen,

That PT sounds really good. I have been to place just like that in the past and it is comforting (and effective too!)

The place I go is very different ... but i asked for it. My warmup is 5 min on the bike (I make my own moist heat :hate-shocked:) and my cool down is 10 min on an elliptical. In between they give me lots of hard exercises but nothing that I am not asking for. They are always willing to back off and slow down, but I had "interviewed" them before my first visit and let them know that I was willing to work hard if they were willing to push me...so i asked for it.

They agreed to go along with my stage in recovery and not go "by the book". The only place where they do go by the book (which makes sense) is when it comes to impact. They are not letting me cross that line for awhile longer...and I am not sure when that is...

I have a list of about 12 exercises to do at home, and at this point am now only going back to reassess and identify new exercise every 2 weeks (and every other week I will do pool therapy...my SECOND of those is this week...)

Enjoy your PT!

Z
 
Jen
To heck with the movies, I want to come with you to PT. It sounds like you have found a fantastic place, and I have to admit, Im at the point in recovery when a massage in the area of my incision sounds like heaven.

It sounds like you are doing great Jen and if you can do a BTHR I dont care how tall you are compared to your brother, my money is on you!
 
Jen-That sounds like the most perfect PT I have ever heard of!! I agree with Tom, I want to come to PT with you too:thumb:
 
Jen, you've come so far and remember you had bilateral hips done, you brave soul!!!

You are young and you will succeed. Stretching will be very important to your recovery.

Keep up the good work.

BTW, tell your brother I haven't worn anything other than sweatpants since my sugery day January 25 ... and don't plan to for another couple of weeks. My incision is doing well overall, but it would not appreciate any rubbing of a stiffer pant. So, feel free to stay joined up with the Sweatpants Club--I'll be the president :-)

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom