Bilateral THR My New Hips Are Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jen,

of all the exercises, stretches and to-do's that I got sent home with...(just ONE hip) laying flat on my back and letting my hip flexors stretch was the least comfortable. I had some length added to my leg and that may be contributing. I was supposed to lie on the floor 3 times per day for 30 min and still can't get a full 30 min without WHINING and giving up.

I walked 2.3 miles yesterday...biked for 30 min...did my exercises 3 times but can't lie on the floor for 30 min...

it HAS gotten much less painful as the days have gone on...

And yes, if it wasn't so uncomfortable it would be hilarious to have a video of me trying to get out of that turtle position in early days.

Z
 
Hugs to you Sarah. I'm trying to stay positive because this surgery has really made me realize how blessed I am to have the family and friends that I have. The way everyone has gone out of their way to help has really humbled me.

Charlie, thanks again for the reassurance that things will loosen up.

Z, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (okay, it was really Brooklyn, NYC circa 2009) lying flat on the floor was one of my favorite ways to relax. I always looked forward to it at the end of yoga classes. Now the idea of it makes me want to jump on a ceiling, frightened cat style. But we will get there!

The PT came earlier today and put me through my paces. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do more than I thought I could. He got me moving on the elbow crutches which I didn't even think I would be using at this point. He showed me how to walk four-point style as Anita demonstrated in one of her videos. I'm going to try and repeat today's routine on a daily basis as by the end I felt really good. Tired, but good.
 
Jen,
Sounds like you are really doing great and I am amazed at having both hips done at once, its pretty incredible!
Best wishes in your recovery
 
Early days Jen. Things will ease. Lots of ice and rest are prescribed.
 
Hi Jen, I haven't had time to log on recently so have just seen your thread. You sound as though you are doing just fine .I had both hips done on 29th November and my legs felt exactly like yours , really heavy and also really tight at the top. I can guarantee though that it does get better and I'm amazed when I look back how much better I feel now, it sort of sneaks up on you! I'm just about to update my own thread but if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.In the meantime , all the very best with your recovery
Tylie (please imagine a Smilie here as I can't get them to work!)
 
Thanks Jaycey and Chef. I've never been the most patient person so this recovery will teach me that, if nothing else.

Tylie many, many thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to read through your thread now.
 
Tom, I just saw the info you provided in your thread (thanks!)and am going to start shopping around to see what I can find. Sleeping is getting better bit by bit. It's getting easier to shift myself around on the bed so that helps in terms of being able to find a comfortable sleeping position.

So it's 9 days after my surgery and looking back, I CAN see the improvement. When the hospital PT got me up and on the walker on day 2, the muscle tightness seemed so extreme that I wondered if I'd ever be able to walk without being bent over. Now I can get around comfortably on my crutches and the tightness is finally beginning to ease. Getting in and out of bed without assistance is a little easier, although it still feels like the equivalent of a Broadway/ West End production what with all the pillows, cushions, and leg-lifters that have to be positioned just right. Thankfully the prescribed pain meds have been doing their job as long as I take them on schedule.

The one area where I feel like I'm lagging a bit is in my hip flexor strength. I can only lift my feet up a few inches off the floor so climbing stairs is still very difficult. Besides the muscular weakness, it almost feels like the connection between my brain and the muscles has weakened. Sort of like my brain is telling my leg to lift but the nerves can't quite get the message through.
 
Jen

Keep remembering just how few days it has been since surgery. Once you get to 14 days, call it two weeks. You will look back and think how much progress you made in just two weeks. Then you will get to one month. You will be amazed how far you will have come in just 1 month.
 
Best wishes Jen, for a speedy recovery. I enjoyed reading your first report and the replies of others. I totally agree with ice is your friend, especially the first few weeks, and nap when ever you feel tired, it does help a lot.
Don't over do things but set your self small goals every few days or week, that way if you have a not so good day, you can think about the little things you have achieved and that lifts your spirits. Surprising just how clever you feel gaining each little bit of independence back.
Sue - from Oz BiTHP
 
Jen, early days. That strength will come back very soon. Everything is a bit traumatised now. Just keep trying the stairs. One day it seem impossible and the next you are doing things and not even thinking about it!
 
Jaycey and Chef, thanks for keeping things in perspective. I am really coming to appreciate those little victories. The PT is coming tomorrow and I so wish I were a bit better at the stairs. I know it's silly but I feel like he'll judge me as slacking off on my exercises if I'm no better at the stairs than I was when he came last week.

Sue, it's great to see another bi-lat. Thank you for your words. I saw some of your posts in Deb's thread and hope you'll start your own thread if you have time. I'd love to read more about your recovery.
 
You do know that if you look at all the thread titles in the forum, and back a couple of pages, you will see the prefix BILATERAL THR in some threads, don't you? We have many BTHR members just now.
 
Jen,

Regarding the Super Bowl on Sunday...

I suggest we rig up a chair with straps to hold us down so that we don't leap out of our chairs at some point when a play (either good or bad) causes us to react "unwisely" based on 3 new hips between us. It would not be the first time that a visceral reaction leads to a movement that I might have done differently if given the chance to think it over a bit. :DOH:

Perhaps stretchy straps that will "reseat us" is we make any ballistic movements...

Sound wise? :wink1:

Z
 
Hi Jo. I remember that there were a lot of bi-lats posting around the same time a few weeks backs but it seems like they quieted down a bit lately except for Deb and Tylie and now Sue. Or I might not be paying enough attention.

Z, I like the idea of stretchy straps. Although with my luck I can just see myself missing the chair on the rebound back and going sailing through the air. I wonder how far I could get :scratch:. Might not be a bad way to liven up the party if the game gets boring. I'm only kidding of course. Maybe.:secretaea:
 
Duly noted Chef :secretaea:

I had another PT session this afternoon that was a bit of a mixed bag. He had me walk first with just one crutch, then with the cane that I used pre-surgery. I also used the cane to go upstairs which was surprisingly much easier than using the crutch. I will definitely use the cane method for the rare occasions where I attempt the stairs. And when I say "rare occasions" I mean as in aliens have just come through my window and the stairs are my only means of escape. Then again I've always wanted to see outer space so I might just go with them. As long as they don't make me climb stairs. But back to the session, I was good with everything except the whole cane walking bit. I was able to do it but I didn't think my gait felt right. I'd rather stick to the crutches for a bit and walk correctly than try to jump into the cane too soon and develop bad habits. That's not being unreasonable is it?
 
Hi Jen
Sounds like you are doing great to me. i dont think its unreasonable at all to use the crutches over the cane. I only had one hip done and am still using crutches. Last time I didnt even switch over to a cane until around week 3-4.

How did the one crutch feel?

And as far as aliens are concerned, NEVER ever go up stairs to escape them!

Glad to see you are doing so well.

Just do what feels the best for you, you will know when the time is right.
H
 
Hi Jen,
Just re read your original post and noted you were trying stairs less than a week post op, wow! Took me 3 weeks till I was comfortable making the climb. Take it easy and use what ever aid you feel comfortable with, crutch or cane. Hopefully you have a rail which would take most of your support. Having BTHR you dont really have a good leg or bad leg to lead up and down, again what ever feels best for you and each week it does get easier. At almost week 7, I am at the stage where I can walk up and down (using the hand rail only ) and using alternate feet. Up until now it has been one leg up, then the next, both on the one stair before doing the next step, slow and steady. Remember those little milestones, the weeks will fly by.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom