THR My New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@scoobysteve hopefully you will get to visit your father soon. Good luck and I hope your recovery stays on track.
 
Four weeks today and mostly all's well; I have a slight concern because my scar is weeping slightly at the top where I sit on it and it keeps rubbing on my clothes, just need to keep it clean and protected as best I can I guess. I'm going to try the car for size today, see if I can drive it; she who must be obeyed has a hospital appointment tomorrow and I'd like to be able to take her.
I'm walking happily using one elbow crutch and could move to a cane but for the consultants comment about keeping the weight off the new hip. I haven't taken a painkiller for several days now just a little tenderness in the lower leg, partly from the op and partly from the swelling from the first few weeks, strange, that's all gone for the moment :) (lets hope it doesn't come back). My teaching day went well it's given me a lot of confidence to start working gently again. I'm supposed to go to London this weekend for the London Dive show exhibition (I do some work for a major diving organisation) but I'm a little concerned about the weeping scar I don't want to make it worse or even aggravate it a bit. I'd be travelling on the train NOT driving, that would be too much too soon (250 miles each way!)

My thoughts are with you all, @Hoppy Nanny and @Vetgirl , How's the meditation going? is it helping you relax and recover?
Best Wishes, Steve
 
Hello, @Poppet , Thanks, it's more irritation than anything, it's just at the wrong point on the hip. It's being aggravated by my clothes and the chairs that I sit on. I did tag Josephine in an earlier post but she's been a bit busy or missed it, no worries she's a busy lady :)

Steve
 
@scubysteve. Good four week update .... Hope you manage to get an answer on the weeping.... I have dome on here that others have had that too.... Could you not pop to your local GP surgery nurse and let them have a quick peek... Think that's what I would do to ease the worry about it. Driving at four weeks.... You are good... I couldn't ,as per my insurance, until I saw the surgeon at 8 weeks.... It's tough not being able to be independent and relying on others too. Glad the work thing went well... Good going at only 4 weeks as all I could concentrate on was my own healing! Hope the journey goes well to London, if you go. And yes.... Love the headspace meditation ... It's a great app. Keep on moving onwards ... It's great to hear... Cheers Chrissie
 
@Josephine I'm sorry to bother you but I could do with a little advice: 1, my scar has a little seepage, clear plasma no sign of infection but 2, just had a call from my Fathers care home, he has a chest infection that's dragging him to the edge, he's now refusing food and fluids. Obviously we can't guess at a time scale but I'm desperate to go and see him, the problem is my wound is weeping and If I go to see him I risk an infection, the home says it's not just him, more than half the residents have some kind of viral chest infection. I thought that if I sealed my wound with a full dressing that might give me enough protection, what are your thoughts please?
At 4 weeks out your wound is pretty well healed. A small open area is probably very superficial and nothing to worry about. I take it you are bathing and/or showering anyway? Then it's okay.

As for your father's care home, it's highly unlikely you would pick up anything there but if it makes you feel safer then put a nice big BandAid over it, so it's thoroughly sealed off. Such a dressing would protect it from chafing on your clothes anyway so probably a good idea to always keep it covered as it will help it to heal up completely.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier - I was tired out after a nightmare train journey from London to Sunderland. Power line failures they said, probably due to the floods, and trains being cancelled all over the place. It was horrible and I was hours late getting home. So spent Saturday zonked out (I'm getting old, tha knows!) Sunday not much better and Monday at work! Lovely life! :)
 
Hi @scubysteve Steve!
Sounds like you don't need to worry over your scar. That's good!
Continued good progress to you. All the best!
 
Glad Josephine was able to put your mind still rest @scuby steve....and hope you get to see your Dad.
@Josephine.....perhaps you could give yourself some advice...and take it easy....sounds like an horrendous journey...sounds like you could do with a weeks holiday..somewhere nice and warm perhaps....go on....we can do without you for a week (perhaps)!!! Xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh don't worry, I did! I ended up begging a wheel chair by which means I got priority boarding on hte next train and a seat! I don't have any qualms about milking the system on such occasions! But just think how much worse my knee would have been if I hadn't done so! :heehee:
 
Oh love it Josephine....and why not indeed. Did the same going on hols last year at the airport...took wheelchair and breezed through...Ta Dah....,!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @scubysteve sorry to hear your dad is sick. I hope he is on the mend soon.

Glad your weeping sounds safe. If it keeps going I would visit the Dr and get it swabbed.

@Josephine I am always amazed at your knowledge. I would have said my pimply spot on my wound was pretty superficial but you got it spot on!!!!! As I said amazing. Sorry to hear of your horror trip but I like your idea of jumping the queue.

Steve have downloaded the mediation app but have been too tired to do it and then forgot. Thanks for the memory jog

Good luck with the driving
 
I had a consultation with my OS yesterday, the upshot was he swabbed the weeping fluid and put me on a heavy duty course of antibiotics (just in case). Had the usual in hospital as well; just pop in here and well have some more of your blood, oh, and lets X-ray the hip as well. The form to take to X-Ray said left hip, when I got there and noticed the error I mentioned that it should be right hip to the radiographer, she said, "are you sure?" I said "the scar tends to give it away :)
The consultant would rather I didn't go to London this weekend, so that's that then; actually, looking at the weather I'm a little bit relieved, I don't fancy swimming around London this weekend and @Josephine I took note of your train journey. You have my sympathy that sounds horrific!

Anyway, I've include a picture of the new hip, it is Ceramic to ceramic with titanium inserts and screws and it was uncemented

[Bonesmart.org] My New Hip
 
Hi Scubysteve,
I think we have the same hip- if so the ceramic parts are pink! My surgeon showed me what he was proposing to use when I asked him at the pre surgery appt.
I think it's good you have anti biotics just in case. Best wishes for your Dad
Hang in there
Gill
 
Hi Gill, @miaow27 Your signature gives your surgery date as the 7th Jan & I was the 15th, so 1 week apart. How are you getting on? My only pain now is from the op, all the old arthritic pain has gone, fantastic!
 
Glad you went to your OS @scubysteve and are playing it safe and sound.
Rest up... hope your dad feels better, too.
Good xray pic. I wonder if yours is pink or blue? haha
 
Scubysteve,
I'm doing ok. Thanks for asking. Hip feels strong when I put weight on it and it definitely didn't before. Currently working on doing stairs one foot to a step- up and down. I can walk ok with one stick outdoors and without at home. I get worn out even after a short walk though but I'm sure that will pass. Glad to have been able to stop stabbing myself with Fragmin (blood thinner) now the 30 days are up.
Gill
 
Glad you went to your OS @scubysteve and are playing it safe and sound.
Rest up... hope your dad feels better, too.
Good xray pic. I wonder if yours is pink or blue? haha
You're quite right, I need to control my impatience. SWMBO is trying to slow me down a bit bless her :). Trouble is, when you're self employed there's a pressure to get back into work. The implant should be pink so that I can access my feminine side ha ha
 
@miaow27 , thank you for the tired comment, partly it's not sleeping properly at night. When working I'm used to getting up at 6 in the morning but just lately I'm lucky if I sleep past 5 anyway, then you have to have a little eyelid inspection in the afternoon. I haven't tried a cane outside yet but I'm fine without a crutch in the house. Going downstairs is easier than going up I've found.
I stopped the self injectors last Monday, no more bruising around the waist, you're right that's a big bonus.
 
I had a consultation with my OS yesterday, the upshot was he swabbed the weeping fluid and put me on a heavy duty course of antibiotics (just in case).
Thought he might! But I very much doubt it was necessary.

Nice hip, btw! I resized it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom