THR My New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@scubysteve - your muscle spasms sound a lot like what I had - I had this before the operation - all the time when going to bed when I tried to straighten my leg. In fact one of my worst symptoms in a way - I just HAD to bend the knee to stop the spasm. Pressing on the muscle helped but only for a moment. After surgery (with legs strapped into the triangle pillow) it did not happen, but after a week it started up again. I was very discouraged about that - tried eating more bananas (magnesium), etc. But what finally helped was doing the exercises they gave me in the hospital whenever it happened - one was the butt squeeze - tightening, holding 10 sec and releasing the glutes i guess it is. The other one pressing knees to the bed as tightly as possible, holding 10 sec and releasing. After a few days of this, it just plain went away and hasn't been back - I sleep better than I have in years even though I had to stay on my back 6 weeks per my OS.
 
@firstimer
I too have difficulty sleeping on my back, I hated it and couldn't sleep properly (still don't really) I was waking up every couple of hours. The only thing that helps me is putting a pillow under my knees. I could comfortably get around on one crutch now but I'm reluctant to push too hard in the beginning it's not worth it having gone through so much to get here.

Hi scubysteve
A little over 2 weeks now went to see the PT and got a few added exercises to my to do list, I am progressing well stopped the pain meds all together in the last 2 days still having some trouble getting a restful sleep on my back or non operated side. Things are a little tight in the back of the operated leg when I lay down for a length of time but definately improving on a daily basis.Will have to use 2 crutches for 6 weeks with only 70lb of weight on the op leg.
Cant drive for another couple of weeks going a little cabin c
 
@firstimer I know exactly what you mean about the stir crazy thing, my wife can't drive so we either have to ask friends or more likely, with my better half, she gets all obstinate and goes out on her own walking everywhere (it's a good 2 miles to town and she has early stages copd and won't use the inhaler!) and it's making me nuts. I'm keeping ahead of the exercises, a little tightness at the back of the knee if I've sat too long and occasionally my foot will swell up but other than that it's great. I stand, sit & walk around and the joint just works great; I feel like a new man. We don't get any Physio here except for the days in hospital, the only follow up is with the consultant/surgeon after 4 weeks. Luckily I seem to have been adopted by a young Polish lad (and his Romanian girlfriend)who I taught to dive a while ago (I'm his (and hers) British Dad now apparently :) ) anyway he's a qualified Physio so I'm being kept on the right track.

@charmed-life I agree, the cramps pre surgery were horrible, the ones I occasionally get now seem to be associated with my bladder, if I get up and empty it they stop happening Weird! How are you doing now?
 
@scubysteve - I'm doing well - had my 6 weeks checkup with the surgeon and cleared to drive and no restrictions except listen to your body and don't go too fast. He says I don't need any PT. Still take one pain pill some mornings but that's it. Still have a little muscle pain when I walk more one day and some tenderness near incision and site where all the "work" was done but not bad at all. Have not pushed range of motion beyond what I could do before but will start on some exercises they gave us in the hospital soon. Have been riding a stationary bike a little - can't wait for spring so i can go outside and ride!
 
Hi @scubysteve - not sure if I have given you these links.. :)

I would suggest you read these articles and please don't hesitate to tag me if you have any specific questions regarding nutrition, including the article regarding Magnesium :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
@Poppet
Thank you, yes you had, and I've read them through. I do have one slight issue: I'm still getting muscle spasm in the hip. It seems to be prevalent in the early hours of the day just before a normal wake up time; it's severe enough to wake me. Is there anything you can think of nutritionally that could be implicated? I thought possibly a slight magnesium deficiency but none of the other symptoms are there.
 
Hi there Steve, it does sound very much like Magnesium rich foods would help you.. I am not permitted by law to recommend supplementing. However, I would suggest having a whole grain banana sandwich for supper. Bananas contain melatonin and serotonin, chemicals known to help the body sleep, as well as magnesium.

Cheers.
 
Unbelievable that I'm almost at the three week point, time seems to be flying by. I've still got a little deep bruising and slight swelling in the leg but the hip is spot on: to quote Hoppy Nanny, I'm dead chuffed about it so far. Popped down the pub for lunch today with the kids, getting in and out of cars is easy so long as I remember to sit first and then swing the legs in after, reverse for getting out. All this has been made so much easier for me thanks to my better half who has been absolutely fantastic, her only gripe has been giving up the flicker in the afternoons so I can watch what I want on the telly.
 
Hi @scubysteve it sounds like you are doing great.

Glad you got out....I found in out of the car a little challenging so you are going well
 
Hi @scubysteve it sounds like you are doing great.

Glad you got out....I found in out of the car a little challenging so you are going well
Hi Sally, My first in/out with a car was last week, don't know if this helps but here we go: make sure the car seat is as high as you can get it (someone else does this for you); put a comfy cushion on the seat with possibly a plastic bag underneath (it helps with the swizzle when you're in); Open the door as wide as it will go, walk to the car on your crutches (are you using crutches or a stick?) and turn so that you're facing away from the car between the door and the seat; swap crutch for door frame to steady then gently lower bum to sit on cushion; once your bum's in place duck your head inside and grab the handle on the inside; swing legs in together and shuffle to get comfortable. Getting out is the reverse, hope that helps a little, it's definitely worth the attempt it helps me feel more human :)
 
@scubysteve - I'm doing well - had my 6 weeks checkup with the surgeon and cleared to drive and no restrictions except listen to your body and don't go too fast. He says I don't need any PT. Still take one pain pill some mornings but that's it. Still have a little muscle pain when I walk more one day and some tenderness near incision and site where all the "work" was done but not bad at all. Have not pushed range of motion beyond what I could do before but will start on some exercises they gave us in the hospital soon. Have been riding a stationary bike a little - can't wait for spring so i can go outside and ride!
@charmed-life Have you actually driven yet? My incision site is tender if I press on it and the thigh below it is a little swollen still, on the exercise side I've started using my treadmill more now, I'm doing ten minute sessions twice a day with the speed set at 3 km/h which is a nice easy pace. Slow but steady does it. I'd like to cycle more but the roads around here are lethal to cyclists at the best of times.
 
Hi there Steve, it does sound very much like Magnesium rich foods would help you.. I am not permitted by law to recommend supplementing. However, I would suggest having a whole grain banana sandwich for supper. Bananas contain melatonin and serotonin, chemicals known to help the body sleep, as well as magnesium.

Cheers.
@Poppet Thank you so much for your advice, I notice on the web; it also mentions nuts as high in magnesium. Is that an Australian law that stops you recommending supplements?
 
I get those spasms too Steve. Glad you posted about this. They seem to be lessening as I get further along in my recovery. Sending you healing wishes.
 
@nettie Thank you and too you, in your signature you've had your second THR on the left hip now? I must go and look at your thread.
 
Yes, two THR surgeries in four months.
 
I never expected to need 2 new hips at age 45/46. But after two years of pain and suffering, I am so grateful for the chance to get back to my previous active lifestyle.
 
Hi Steve, @scubysteve .. Yes, as I am a qualified and registered Natural medicine practitioner, I am governed by the Common Law Act of Australia, which means that to consult there are certain legal requirements around prescribing - suggesting supplements would most certainly be seen as prescribing and I would lose my registration to practice.

I was thinking about you today - have you had your B12 and folate levels checked - might be worth discussing with your GP - just a thought....
 
Oh, one other thought... Pop a plastic bag over the car seat, it helps with the sliding the bottom in first and then swinging the legs around... even at 2+ years, I still use one - so much easier :)
 
@scubysteve - I did drive once so far - on the way home from my 6 wk checkup... and it didn't hurt. My incision is only slightly tender if I rub on it, side of my thigh gets swollen and throbs some if I've done too much. I'd love to start riding my bike too but I'm in Minnesota and don't do that in the snow and ice!! But have been riding a stationary bike - only about "a mile" at very low resistance.
 
Thanks @scubysteve I should read my posts before I put them up....I'm not newly post op!

I am 5 months post op...but I never used a plastic bag or got into too low a car so thanks for the advice.

Putting up the car seat is such a great idea......

Keep up the great work
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom