Guest viewing is limited

THR My New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine I dont know if it's an un-cemented hip for sure but reading through your link I agree it probably is. That would explain the consultants comments. I do know it's ceramic, I'll check with him when I see him next. I had the stitches out today so that's another milestone successfully passed.
 
@MajorHeidi
Do you have any chance of getting in earlier than April? I was initially quoted April but then I had a phone call from the hospital giving me the option of an earlier appointment.
 
@firstimer
I too have difficulty sleeping on my back, I hated it and couldn't sleep properly (still don't really) I was waking up every couple of hours. The only thing that helps me is putting a pillow under my knees. I could comfortably get around on one crutch now but I'm reluctant to push too hard in the beginning it's not worth it having gone through so much to get here.
 
@Jaycey
Thank you for the welcome, it hardly seems any time at all since the op. What a lovely group this is. My restrictions are the same as yours from all I've read. One of the other hippies in the hospital had a foam divider sat between his legs for the first night, it looked and sounded really uncomfortable.
 
I had the triangular foam divider between my legs the first 4-5 days I think - it was not as bad as it looks...
 
I had the triangular foam divider between my legs the first 4-5 days I think - it was not as bad as it looks...
@charmed-life
This one wasn't just a triangle it was a rectangle with leg slots cut out of it. I just had a pillow for the first night, that was OK, I don't think I could have tolerated that thing.
 
One of the other hippies in the hospital had a foam divider sat between his legs for the first night, it looked and sounded really uncomfortable.
That's what's known as the Charnley wedge though it has been redesigned into a slightly less uncomfortable type.

[Bonesmart.org] My New Hip
[Bonesmart.org] My New Hip
 
It was similar to the bottom (blue one) except the former continued under and around the legs on the outside
 
@MajorHeidi
I've been really good today, the leg and hip feel great just a slight niggle itch on the scar. I'm taking two paracetamol to help me sleep and naproxen to keep the swelling down.
I feel really grateful and almost a fraud at the minute with the speed I seem to be recovering at
 
@charmed-life,
Did you lay completely flat with that or sitting up? I found that without a pillow under my knees that my heels were getting sore and it doesn't look very comfortable
 
@scubysteve I have seen several posters take Benadryl to relieve an itch. You might ask....
Glad you are feeling little pain. Some of our buddies are not so fortunate right now, but I am
sure it will work out for them shortly.
@charmed-life Funny, I think I would like to use the wedge to keep me in line so to speak.
 
WOW - they have come a long way. When I had my slipped epiphysis they stuffed sandbags down both sides of my legs! Admittedly that was a loooooooooooong time ago.
 
I had one like the blue one -- it was wretched. I chucked it as soon as I got home and used pillows instead. They worked out fine.
 
@scubysteve - yes, mostly flat. I do have a bed that elevates head and foot and I did elevate my head a little - can't remember if I did the feet when I used the cushion. It was not uncomfortable on my heels - that happened when I was done with the cushion though. What is hard is the straight-jacket feeling for your legs - you are strapped in.... and in the hospital also had the pumps on my legs for circulation - hated that.
 
I'm at 15 days post op now and feeling pretty good. I seem to be sleeping better than I was but am getting occasional involuntary muscle contractions in the thigh/glut that make me bend the knee. It gives a quick shock pain in the thigh but as soon as the knee has bent and lifted it stops. Then I have to sit up in bed to relieve what is almost like a cramp but only lasts a second or two. I used to get this prior to the op so it's not op related, reading your dietary links @Poppet I'm wondering if it's a slight magnesium drop? I don't have any of the other symptoms though.
I'm still sleeping on my back, I tried rolling onto the operated hip but the pressure was too much and rolling the other way would put the new joint at risk of breaking the 90 degree rule. Oh well, no worries it'll sort itself out with time.
I saw a couple of you talking about PT meaning pain therapy; what about physioterrorist as an option :)
 
I had one like the blue one -- it was wretched. I chucked it as soon as I got home and used pillows instead. They worked out fine.
I agree with you, pillows rule for me!
 
@scubysteve I have seen several posters take Benadryl to relieve an itch. You might ask....
Glad you are feeling little pain. Some of our buddies are not so fortunate right now, but I am
sure it will work out for them shortly.
@charmed-life Funny, I think I would like to use the wedge to keep me in line so to speak.
Reading some of the threads on here I'm getting away with it, I know I've been really lucky, but it does show it's possible if you're lucky and follow the guidance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom