THR My new hip - question about knee pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Butterfly and @dkirk0530 for sharing your experiences - it makes me feel much better about my swelling and pins & needles!

Sally @Vetgirl , thank you so much for sharing how you've dealt with not being able to do everything you used to do when it comes to children. My older children are close in age to yours - 13 and 11, and then we also have a 5-year-old. Your ideas are great - and it's true, kids are more adaptable than we give them credit for! And about them being appreciative of all we used to do, you're right. My 13-year-old daughter has not been so nice to me in a long time! ;) I think most of the guilt I have I put on myself. I will stop that and focus on things I can do with/for them, fun times doing other things with them instead. And this isn't forever - I joked with a friend who had a kidney transplant that the only way we moms truly get a break is to have surgery, we should enjoy the 'rest'!

I have read everything you are going through with your infection. You are truly a remarkable woman - a blessing to people you don't even know, even when you are going through such a difficult time. You are amazing, and I know so many others on the forum agree! I have added you to my prayer list, and will continue to follow your progress. Continue keeping us posted!

Blessings to you and your family,
Kathryn =)
 
@yougrowgirl365 Kathryn, I just wanted to tell you that I am 5 weeks post op and still have swelling in my thigh and especially around my knee and calf. It is also a little sore to the touch, especially around the knee. Icing helps with the soreness and swelling, but it always comes back. I was quite concerned about it at first, but have been told that it is quite normal to have swelling for several weeks.
 
Hi @yougrowgirl365 and @Dmcfad2 it is normal to have swelling for a while, even though my leg doesn't look swollen to me, I noticed how much thicker it was at the knee than the other one. And believe me, I'm not doing much!!!!

Kathryn, I'm so glad I was able to help you. I agree we the mother, put the guilt on ourselves, as you sound like me, always wanting to be at events etc. I often feel really sorry for so e kids whose parents doesn't even seem to care...they do so little at a young age and are the ones who never get to dress up on dress up days etc...don't start me!!!!

Thank you for your sweet words....they really mean a lot to me!!!
 
Thank you Debbie @Dmcfad2 and Sally @Vetgirl your info. on your swelling. I know that we've all had surgery, and that it's to be expected, but it's such a new experience that if anything changes or seems different, I worry. I'm so glad you're all here! =) I'm continuing to ice when I sit or lay down.

So last night was my first night out with our family since my surgery. Nothing fancy, but it was SO GREAT to leave the house and feel like we were doing something "normal!" I successfully used my cane, and brought my foam cushion along to make sure my chair was high enough. I got a little sore from sitting for over an hour, but it was worth it.

On another note...I've got a question I wish only the women on this site could see - my doctor said sex could resume two weeks after surgery. That would be tomorrow. I'm a little nervous - I certainly don't want to cause an issue with my hip, but also ready to get that part of my life back to "normal" as well. My doctor gave me a handout with stick figure drawings of "safe" positions, but I'm just wondering for those of you who are back in action ;), was it uncomfortable, did it hurt your hip? Sorry if this is too personal, but I thought I'd ask.

Thank you!
Kathryn
 
the enduring swelling in the leg is what I was least expecting,and it's a real pain.
I only have it in the thigh, but it is restricting my mobility at present.

Re your last part, @yougrowgirl365 , take a look at Plumberbutt's thread..' quite a lot of "hen cackling" stories on there, if memory serves me.
 
Kathryn, I waited six weeks. But at that point it was a relief to find out that pain was non-existent. I hope that will be your experience too.

Sharon
 
I hope you read the link Jo provided. As with everything in a person's recovery, each person is different as to what they can do at a specific point in their recovery. But please do rest assured that this part of your life will be regained. You really cannot hurt your new hip joint. It's firmly attached. Once your surgeon gives you the okay for sex, it's a matter of you listening to your body and working with your partner to determine what is comfortable for you. You are still pretty early in the recovery process and soft tissues may not be 100% yet. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to adjust and finish healing.
 
Hi @yougrowgirl365 as Cantabrigian said his thread has lots of information. Pillows help. And as Jo said there are the articles to read.

If you need more information then you can always use the search engine at the top of the page and search for Sex.

As for asking questions...perfectly normal. We all did it and that's what this site is for :)

Oh and getting out of the house....BLISS:happydance:
 
As Jamie mentioned, the article that Jo gave you the link to is the "go to" one for the info :)
 
@yougrowgirl365 I can tell you from my own experience that I really didn't feel ready to resume sexual activity until quite recently. I certainly wasn't ready at 2 weeks post op. I am at 5 1/2 weeks and we were finally able to re-connect. :loveshwr:Just take it slow and easy and your body will let you know.
 
Actually, I thought it was a bit soon! I missed that he said it was okay after two weeks. I've never known anybody that could even shop, hoover or get in and out of the bath freely at 2 weeks!
 
@yougrowgirl365
Hi, Kathryn. I only just saw your post about numbness today. Your most recent post about it mentions your lower leg & foot, I think. Do you still have it and/or the pins & needles feeling?

I can tell you that this is the issue that has sidetracked my whole recovery. I'm now 3 months out & still dependent on my walker because my foot is still numb in many areas. I do have increased sensitivity in various areas of my foot, but recovery is extremely slow. Also, there were/are areas in my lower leg and above my heel that were SUPER-SENSITIVE to touch ... as if the nerves were on the surface of my skin! Sometimes these areas, as well as those on my foot, would kind of 'flare up' with almost a burning sensation. I think of this as the nerves kind of firing up. And yes, of course, i have those pins & needles which kind of come and go from time to time, all over my foot. Nights are probably the worst for me, too..

Don't know if any of this sounds familiar to you or if you are still even bothered by this. I can say that this issue has taken the wind out of my sails, so to speak, & made everything harder. Each time I've met with my OS he's assured me that feeling will come back, but could take months. Seems that nerves get pushed around during the op & that the risk is greater during the anterior approach, especially when leg-lengthening takes place.

You mentioned using Percocet. Since I never really considered these feelings to be "pain," although uncomfortable & annoying, I never used any pain med after about 6 weeks (& then only 1 Norco); I'm now wondering if I should have, even though my hip is fine. Hope you're doing better... Would rather be discussing sex!!! ... LOL

Ellen
 
Thank you, Ladies, for sharing, and for the link to the articles. I think I've read enough - just need the courage!

@Josephine, I was surprised at the two weeks as well, but I do feel good, just tired more than normal. Had my two-week post-op check today, and I'm cleared to drive (as long as I don't take narcotic pain meds during the day),and also stopped by the grocery store on the way home from my doctor and got a few things. (My mother-in-law leaves tomorrow, so I had to give it a try since I will be getting many of my regular "jobs"back.) I was just tired at the end. Came home to nap. I've been able to shower w/o my walker in there since day nine. I feel fortunate, but also know that I am on the young side to have a replacement. I think that makes a huge difference. I am trying to listen to my body and not over do it. Doc says I can start walking outside (with cane), 1/4 mile per day. It seems like very little, but he said I can only increase it a 1/4 mile each week. I'm sure it will be tougher than I think it will be, so I should be thankful if I get a 1/4 mile done.

@shrinkette Ellen, I still have numbness in my lower leg (mostly calf and outside), and in the outside of my foot, but pins and needles are mostly gone. I do get them in my toes when I sleep (which I did occasionally before surgery due to back surgery; now it happens almost nightly). I have a pair of "Yoga Toes Gems" (you can see what they look like at Amazon.com) that help - I usually wear them an hour or two when my toes bug me. (My husband has to put it on my foot b/c I can't w/o breaking a 90-degree angle, but usually they stop the pins and needles/pain in my toes. So do my running shoes, I have no idea why - but I have actually slept in them.)

The numbness feels weird, but I am still able to walk. I mostly notice it when I touch my leg or pants rub against it. I am sorry you are still struggling with this! I hope that the doctor's right, and that your numbness goes away eventually. I had my check-up today and completely forgot to ask about numbness, ugh! I guess I will just wait until my next appointment in six weeks.

I hope you all have a great day!!
Thanks again,
=) Kathryn
 
@yougrowgirl365 Hi Kathryn. You're doing so well... Am happy for you. Here you are cleared to drive at 2 weeks, & I just drove today for the first time!! In all honesty, I'm sure I could've driven earlier. Anyway, hope all goes well for you now that you're back on the job... remember to rest... and wish you wonderful times in those "other" special areas. Ah, to be 41 again -- I have very fond memories!!
 
Hi Kathryn,
The 1/4 mile per day, is as it reads a grand total for walking?
So, perhaps 1/8 mile twice a day will do the trick each day for a week; then the following week
go to 1/2 mile total per day? Is that how you interpret this and plan to pursue?
My PT recommended more trips of small amounts rather than a 'fell swoop' walk.....
You are doing great!
 
I am seven weeks post-op today. My incision is almost completely healed, except I've had a scab at the top that hasn't gone away. Tonight I noticed a white "string" coming out of that area. I'm attaching a picture. I will call my OS tomorrow, but am wondering if it's something to worry about? @Josephine I'm tagging you, since you're the expert. Thank you!

[Bonesmart.org] My new hip - question about knee pain
 
Jo is off to a conference for a few days. I don't think you need to worry about what you're seeing. Is the string possibly a stitch that's coming to the surface? That happens sometimes. Your surgeon can take care of it. I couldn't really tell from your picture whether there was actually a stitch or it was just dried matter in the area where the scab is.
 
Hi @yougrowgirl365 I was just wondering if you had any other symptoms like aches or pains, swelling eetc....it doesn't look red or inflamed and the materiel coming out doesn't look fresh or oozy.

Probably a stitch but get it checked out for sure.....my area was red and pus came out...just to compare

Please let us know how you get on. Oh and for those of us who like the ogre, take a picture of whatever it is.

I'm going to ask for my cement spacer when it comes out today!!!!!

Good luck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom