THR My new hip - question about knee pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is great news!!! I'm glad to hear things are better.
 
@shrinkette or anyone else who has experienced the numbness/pins & needles...I had my THR last Monday (4/14) and a few days ago began having numbness in lower leg (outside and back) and pins and needles in lower leg and foot. Did yours eventually go away? Other than that, I am able to move pretty well - doing PT exercises a couple times a day and walking around slowly every hour or so. Very little pain except back pain that started today (I figure it's compensating and I haven't done yoga in 8 days (since surgery).) I spoke with doctor's office today and they aren't too concerned. I meet with doc next week. The pins & needles are worse at night and I have trouble sleeping. (Finally took two percocet last night when it was bad and was able to sleep) I'm just hoping it goes away eventually!
 
Also, if anyone has some stretching or yoga exercises to do with THR restrictions, I would love to hear what's worked for you. My PT didn't offer many suggestions. Thank you!
 
If you happen to get any information on stretching an yoga, I would love to be tagged so I can try some . . . Doc said no gym for awhile and my outpatient PT doesn't start til next week. I continue to do basic PT but not feeling like their accomplishing much anymore.
 
At one week post-THR, it's a little early to be taking up yoga. For now, I would suggest sticking with the exercises given to you by your physical therapist.
 
Don't overdo or start trying to do too much too soon, It's the worst thing you can do, and can come back to bite you in some pretty painful ways (I know -- I did it and wound up with piriformis issues and some related sciatica, which set my recovery back almost a month) so DON'T OVERDO. Leave off the yoga for a while and REST, ICE and ELEVATE. Patience is important here -- especially since you're only about a week out of surgery. Patience!

As for the knee, my OS told me they manhandle your leg pretty vigorously to dislocate the hip to do the surgery, and that some resultant knee pain was quite common. It will resolve -- mine did.

Peace and love to you.
 
It may be that you've tried to cut back on your pain medications a bit too soon. If you continue to experience pain, I suggest you get back on some type of regular program for pain meds to keep it under control. It doesn't have to be prescription pain meds....Tylenol is fine too, as long as you stay under the maximum doseage of 4000mg in a 24 hour period.
 
Infection is more prevalent in the young - under 50 (that, fortunately, rules me out!): - noted in the article is also the higher risk of asceptic mechanical failure. Replacements in the younger adult has, and probably will remain, a challenge.
High risk of revision for infection, failure after TKA found in younger patients
One year after primary total knee arthroplasty, patients younger than 50 years had a significantly higher risk of revision due to periprosthetic joint infection or to aseptic mechanical failure, according to result of this study.
https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/...n-failure-after-tka-found-in-younger-patients
 
Hi @yougrowgirl365 ......I found your thread. You, like me are young for THR but as you have probably noticed not as young as some!!!!

In regards to the pins and needles I'll tag @Josephine as they used to always ask me about pins and needles in hospital ....so it's best to make sure it means nothing!!!!

Keep up the good work and avoid the yoga for a bit!!!
 
Thank you @Butterfly and @Jamie for your advice. I am resting, icing and elevating more often. Im also taking pain meds regularly again. (1 Percocet every 4-6 hours, 2 @ bedtime.) Definitely helping! Thank you @Vetgirl, for tagging @Josephine. I see my dr. next week, but will see him sooner if necessary. The pins and needles are decreasing, but still there, and lower leg and foot are numb. (Taking my pain medicine regularly again, so that could also be why I don't notice P&N.) The main reason for the pain meds at the moment is b/c my back is so sore.After two back surgeries five and seven years ago, yoga, stretching and core exercises are how I've kept my back healthy. When I stop those, I have pain. (Plus I'm sure it's compensating for my hip and leg.) That's my reason for wanting some yoga or stretching ideas - not to be super woman. ;) Thank you again everyone!
 
That's no problem Kathryn @yougrowgirl365 I will be interested to see her reply. You always learn something from Josephine!!!!

I am sorry that you can't do the stretches that help your back....glad you get some relief from meds. My OS told me there were some yoga poses that you had to take extra care with or not do due to dislocation.

Has your OS mentioned these????
 
The pins and needles are decreasing, but still there, and lower leg and foot are numb. The main reason for the pain meds at the moment is b/c my back is so sore. That's my reason for wanting some yoga or stretching ideas. When I stop those, I have pain.
I think this says it all. You may very well just have sciatica. But not a lot you can do about it while you are under restrictions. Once you are free of them you can start doing some nice, freeing stretches!
 
I had a bout of sciatica after my second surgery (from overdoing and irritating the piriformis muscle), but, like you, couldn't do the stretches that always helped resolve it. Not a fun time at all, but I didn't want to jeopardize my hips to try to fix the sciatica. I had VERY gentle chiropractic from the guy I've seen for years, and also some acupuncture, which helped. A heating pad on my back also helped. It did resolve, but it took some extra time.

Peace and love to you.
 
Thank you, Ladies! My back is much better - I don't know how or why, but I'll just be thankful. My numbness is still there, but pins & needles not so bad b/c of regular Percocet (1/every 4-6 hours). I also get occasional charlie horses in my left butt muscle, so it very well could be sciatica. I feel like I am progressing very well, and trying not to overdo it. It really is difficult - today my five-year-old has a class picnic and I had to make the decision not to go, because my swelling is getting worse, not better. (I am assuming that is because as I feel better, I am up more, but I do have a call into the doctor to ask.) Thankfully, my MIL will go in my place, but know it's not the same. I know in the long run, getting better is most important, but if there are any other parents with young children who are also dealing with these limitations, I'd love to hear how you've dealt with your recovery and not doing to much too soon.

@Josephine, if I'm icing anytime I'm lying down, and elevating my legs above heart for an hour or more 3+ times per day, resting (but still active), is there anything else I can do to bring swelling down? It's not so bad in lower leg (minor - like I would expect), but around incision (which is on the side of my thigh) and thigh, you can almost see pockets of fluid, especially when I've been on my feet longer than 15 minutes. (But still some even when I wake up in morning.) In your opinion, is this normal? I have no pain or fever, and just slight pink color at bottom of bandage. Thank you for your help!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: VF
Indeed! It certainly is all normal at 10 days! Your hip takes a lot of punishment during surgery like this.
 
My doc told me that I could expect swelling, on and off, for several weeks and that it wasn't anything to be alarmed about. For me, I didn't have much swelling until about day 5 after surgery, then I got a lot of swelling in lower leg and ankle and feet, especially. At that point, I was spending a lot of time sitting up at my PC (mostly on this forum) and either Josephine or my OS told me that I was sitting too long with my legs down (regular sitting position) and that I should not be doing that because it increased the swelling. SO, I quit sitting so much and spent more time with my legs elevated (toes above nose) and the swelling decreased and went away.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hey @yougrowgirl365 I wsanted to let you know that I have had some knee pain, off and on since having THR. I also have weird twang pains, I'll attribute to nerve rebirth ;) I have pins and needles in thigh area. I had anterior on 12/17/13. Doc visit stated all looked well on xray ane ROM. He was not concerned with twangs/pangs, said if pain was not weight related, standing on it and in pain, then he would not be worried.. and I'm not. I started a bit of YOGA after 10 weeks. Have returned to the gym, etc. Doc recommended I do front leg lifts, side leg lifts and wall sqats. so alls' well. Kneed kicks in when I lay on my side on sofa w/out pillow between leg. best to you.. congrats on the new hip!

Diane
 
Hi @yougrowgirl365 glad that all that swelling is normal and that your back pain has resolved a little.

How old are your children? I'm sure mine are older at 14(nearly 15) and 11, but I actually like spending time with them, watching their sports and do lots of shared runs to their after school activities. Although we live walking distance to school...I drive them most mornings. And I used to walk the dog to meet them most afternoons.

Since my OA and subsequent surgery, I started picking them up in the car after school especially in summer?...because I suppose I felt guilty that I was so incapacitated and not their 'usual' mum. In many ways it has bee good for them....they have appreciated how much I usually do and have stepped up to their independence / responsibilities.

I find missing events hard like you....but my kids have actually taken it in their stride and realised how lucky they were to have me at most of their events and I have tried to get to the really important one which they again appreciate. Friends have been really helpful with driving them place too

The other hard thing is the school holidays...I like to do stuff with them and we have had 2 school hols where I couldn't drive and at the Christmas ones where I was recovering from pneumonia and the hip infection. I've tried to organise things for them, friends over and then days at home with me where we watch shows we love together.

None of this may really help you, but it does let you know your not alone and that kids are really adaptable and I think as long as they don't have to miss the event themselves pretty much go with the flow and accept that this is how life is in the short term

Hope I helped a little
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom