TKR My LTKR journey

It's awfully early for you to have been on your feet, walking a big store like that. I pray that you don't have any extra pain or swelling from your adventure. If so, spend the next few days icing and elevating as much as you can. 30 minutes isn't long enough. I iced for hours at a time with my cold water circulating machine. As long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice pack, You'll be fine.
 
It is almost 9pm. I elevated and iced three times after my journey. My knee felt tight but no real pain. I am taking alieve twice a day. I also hooked up my Berg ice machine in my Apple Home kit using a smart plug. I can turn on and off the machine using Siri. So much more comfy when it gets too cold, i can shut it off for a while without moving. let‘s see what tomorrow brings On my knee. One good thing about my shopping today is i am really tired now. Fingers crossed for some nice sleep…..good night.
 
@Tino2You -- Just checking in. How are you doing today? Hope yesterday's activity didn't put you on the ODIC bench. Do let us know.
 
So my knee today is not troubling me. I am still having "a fine time" getting enough sleep. I managed a couple of hours last night. Not bothered by knee pain or restlessness, but just couldn't get comfortable. My wife and I visited our YMCA as we became members. I am going to be using their equipment for my personal PT. Well that is the plan. Anyway...thank you @benne68 for the call back.
 
Sorry to blast this forum but I have a question. I am almost 7 weeks post op. Swelling on my knee occurs after walking, going up/down stairs and just generally using it and I treat it successfully with ice and elevation. I've noticed that regardless of the swelling the front part of my knee, below the patella is always warm. During the previous weeks, much of the knee was warm to the touch. My question is how long before most of the inflammation will subside
 
how long before most of the inflammation will subside
The process is different for everyone.

You are still very early in this recovery, so it's not surprising that you still are noticing inflammation and heat.

Your body still has a lot of healing to do from the trauma of the surgery. The muscles/fascia haven't fully healed -- not to mention the ligaments, tendons, nerves, etc.

I found this chart really helpful in understanding why it takes so long:
1652123217285.png


It will go away -- with time.
 
Having a warm knee is a sign that it is healing. Swelling is a sign of inflammation. Most knees can be swollen for up to 6-8 months out after doing extra activities. It being warm is also normal. Being hot and red is something to be worried about, but warmth is not.
 
If its any comfort, mine is warm also. Not hot or red. If that happens time to call doc.
I'm always reading my first recovery because its hard to remember and the swelling continued for 3-4 months, but gradually decreased and was easier to "de-swell". And the swelling was related to increased activity.
I'm running a little short on this swelling patience!
 
for those reading my posts, I am not trying to gripe about what is going in my recovery. I will most likely have to have my right knee replaced within a year. I was really surprised when my left knee flared up last year. Anyway, thanks everyone and @beachy for the thoughts and experiences. I will be reading this chronicle on my repeat performance.
BTW last night was awesome. Slept from about 11 till 4:30. 5.5 hours in a row….I am in heaven. I feel like a new parent whose infant slept through the night for the first time. I know once is not a trend but dayum it is a start. Onward and upward
 
First of all, you have every right to an occasional gripe. We all do it at some point. But, I don't see your posts as griping. I see it as sharing your recovery. It can be helpful to others see where we are in recovery. Not to compare, but to say, hey! I'm experiencing that ,too.

And isn't it great when we get a good nights sleep or have a good day?
I hope 7 weeks is your best so far!
 
Slept from about 11 till 4:30. 5.5 hours in a row….I am in heaven. I feel like a new parent whose infant slept through the night for the first time
Funny! :heehee: Sleep IS everything...well almost everything.
I read elsewhere you have a 7 week check up with your surgeon tomorrow so I stopped by to wish you all the best! Let us hear the good news afterward if you feel like sharing. A great day to you, Tino!
 
I had my 7 week doctor appointment. Everything looks great. He said I’m in the 90th percentile for recovery. I got the go ahead for anything I want to do…even golf. That said, he said “your knee will let you know how much you can do” ;-)
My plan is to up my workout at the Y to include swiming and upper body strengthenin/flexibility. We have a treadmill here and I think I will use that As well as walking outside. It’s getting a tad warmer here in the first state.
Of course I am typing this laying on my bed, feet up on Dr Lounge and the ice machine humming. I went to the mall after the appointment and went to the Apple Store, LOTs of walking. NO CANE :)
FINALLY. He asked me to hold off all dental work including cleanings till July (6 months after surgery). So all good news. Thanks you all for the suggestions, commiserations and listening.
Cheers
 
:goodpost:Yay for you!
It as a weight off the shoulders after that 1st appt, right?
I make lots of mental to do lists when icing and elevating, too.
Glad you're having some warmer weather. We're neighbors here in northeast Maryland. Send some warmth! It was warmer last month.
 
Hi everyone. Well today marks my 8th week PO. Wow how just a couple of weeks changes everything. I am sleeping much better. Still taking Tylenol PM (now just one at night). Also taking one extra strength Tylenol in the morning. Pain is almost gone. There still is the feeling of tightness (some describe a "band") around the knee at the patella. my scar is fading (surprised me) at least at the top part. I'm not sure what the surgeon did below the knee cap but that part is still reddish :-( I am walking without a cane. Going up and down stairs just like a "big person". Haven't tried a fast stair climb yet, but soon I think.
I am going to the Y in the morning. Take the three flights of stairs to the exercise room. I ride the bike for 15 mins (now at level 1) and 15 mins recumbent Elliptical (also level 1). I walk about a mile or two each day. I started the exercize last week (Tuesday) by yesterday, my knee told me that "we" had enough and I took yesterday off. I started doing some chores around the house. Cooking, doing laundry, picking up dog poo in the yard. Today will be the big challenge. I have to clean my aquarium requires me to lift three 5 gallon bucket of water about 20 feet. I may have to go with half full buckets. fingers crossed. My poor fish have donned scuba gear. I usually maintain the tank every other week and I missed 8 weeks! Anyway....That's my 2 month update. See you in April :-).
 
:goodpost:
Sounds great! You've come a long way in the last few weeks.
I'm 9 weeks tmrw and definitely lagging behind you in the exercise dept, but pleased at my improvement.
I like to set a goal each day. Sounds like you're doing the same thing.
And today your fish will thank you.
 
You are doing amazingly well. Just take care you don't over do things.
I still can't reliably go up and downstairs correctly and I couldn't lift 5 gallon buckets either- and I am 20 weeks post- op.
 
well for those that are scoring at home, my wife said I should wait. I didn't and now my knee just let me know I just enrolled in the ODIC. and I was doing so well. Time for ice and elevation. Oh the fish are happy!
 
Back
Top Bottom