TKR My LTKR journey

Hello @Tino2You
What a wonderful update! I'll bet it felt good to be back on the course. Glad you enjoyed your day.
Just think...it's going to get even better! :yes!:
 
fast foreward two days. Yesterday was an ice and elevation day. Looks like it might be the same today. Final eye doc visit before last cataract surgery (maybe). fingers crossed.
 
I have a question from the experienced people in the forum. I have feeling on the medial side of my knee but the lateral side is still numb as is below my patella. I know this is a year long healing process, just was wondering when my knee will begin to feel like a knee rather than a weight on my left leg.
Thanks guys,
 
Mine has not come back all the way. Of course, I've had 6 surgeries on this knee, so it probably has lots of nerve damage. Others have had theirs come back, so it all depends on your knee and the amount of nerves that were affected during your surgery.
 
The medial side of my knee is where most of my damage was. The lateral side of my knee is still numb after almost 9-months and my OS said I wouldn't regain all the feeling there. Early on below my knee to my heel was numb and I have regained all the feeling there except for part of my heel. The color of my leg has improved. I think you just kind of get used to it after a while, but it doesn't feel so heavy like it did before. Sometimes if I'm lucky I forget all about it! The weather seems to be my problem the past 2-weeks it has been cool and rainy, and I definitely feel it. Once you get passed 5 months you will feel a big difference. I'm going to try to weed whack for my husband if it ever stops raining. You are doing so well in your recovery, and I have enjoyed reading your posts.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
How are you doing these days? Is your knee feeling any better than it was a couple weeks ago? If not, hang in there, it will get better.
Have a great rest of the week!
@Tino2You
 
Thanks Layla. My knee is doing much better. I played golf again on Tuesday (4 month anniversary). Walked 4.5+ miles and played ok too :-). My knee was not swollen (much) afterwards. Three weeks ago when I last played, I was hurting for about 4 days (needed ice and elevation to settle the knee back down). This week ... na da! I have three more weeks till my spring golf outing. 4 straight days playing golf. I have chemical ice packs to ice the knee on the way back to the Cabin after playing and will bring a couple of my Thermipaq's once i get back. Fingers crossed. Also, while I am now focusing on my knee, the outside of my knee is starting to get feeling back. Whoohooo!
 
What a wonderful update! I am happy for you. It sounds like you're all prepared for your Spring golf outing in three weeks. Please let us know how it goes. I'm hoping for the best for you. Enjoy!
@Tino2You
 
Hi everyone. I am sorry I have not posted in a while. I made it through four days golfing (I take a cart, but still made about 10,000 steps each day. I car pooled to the courses so I could ice my knee on the drive back. I think that one thing allowed me to play all 4 days. I took my ice machine with me but only had to ice my knee one afternoon. All in all it was a successful week.
Last week, I had a visit to th]e surgeon. I told him how I played and that a couple of the scores were the best I ever played. He looked at me a bit puzzled and when I told him I was swinging easy he smiled and said "a lesson for us all". Anyway, I will see him again on my 1 year anniversary for an x-ray and last follow up. All good news.
 
Great report.
My numb patch has shrunk a bit but I have been told it will never disappear completely. I can feel it if I tap with my nail but I cant feel soft touch. Other than that my knee feels completely natural.
 
One more thing as I am nearing my 6 month anniversary, recently I noticed that my left hip is giving me pain. Not all the time but when it does…WOW it is impressive. I started to wear my Merrill hiking shoes recently and I know they are a little a bit more heavy than my walking/running sneakers (trainers to the people across the pond). Could this exasperate my hip joint? I’ve also noticed that my knee is (since my golf trek) a bit swollen. I ice it, it doesn’t hurt, but it is uncomfortable. Should I be talking to my surgeon? Thanks everyone. Happy 4th.
 
Problems with other joints seem very common. I have some hip pain in my non- operated side hip and pretty chronic lower back pain. I think there are two likely reasons why these issues occur.
1. If you have OA in one joint you are very likely to have it in other joints.
2. As you rehab you will inevitably put more strain on some joints as you try to avoid pain or protect the operated knee.
It really does feel like whack- a- mole at times doesn't it?
 
recently I noticed that my left hip is giving me pain. Not all the time but when it does…WOW it is impressive.
Not at all uncommon. As our bodies adapt to the new alignment created by the surgery, different muscle groups will protest!

It's also quite possible that you overdid it with your golf trek. Since you note that your knee is swollen, your hip may have had a bit too much of a good thing! :wink: I'd give it a rest for a week or two and see if things improve.

One other thought: Many of us need to replace our everyday walking shoes post-surgery -- especially if we've had them for a while. Pre-surgery, we tend to wear down shoes in a odd ways (because we are limping or favoring) and that can cause problems post-op. Consider getting rid of the old Merrills and replacing them with new ones so you can start fresh.
 
Hi all. Well July and August have past. I've been dealing with hip pain without any relief. My left know (the new one) is also talking to me daily. Back to ice and elevation. I'm scheduled for a cortisone shot tomorrow. Hopefully, I can break the pain cycle.
 
HelloTino2You,
I am sorry you're still dealing with pain. Hopefully the cortisone injection brings you speedy relief. When one joint aches it changes the entire mechanics in how we walk. With any luck, your knee pain eases through the
process. :fingersx:
Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. Good Luck!
@Tino2You
 
Hi all. Well now I am posting on both Knee and Hip recovery. My LHR was done this past Tuesday ad I am out and about and have to say the hip recovery seems much easier than the knee. I wont bore you about whats going on with my hip (you can read it in the Hip Recovery section) but I think the hip did aggravate my knee. My question is my left knee still clunks. It doesn’t hurt just auditable clunks when I bend it, Doc said this past summer “It’ll go away. Heralding takes a year”. Well I am two weeks to my TKR surgery and still clunk. I see him again in a few days and will ask again. My question (I know it was a long way to ask a question) is is anyone else having this “feature”?

Cheers
 
Hi! Yep, my LTKA is 11 months old and still clicks with every step. I joke that it's such a reliable clicker it should be counting steps for me!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom