TKR My LTKR journey

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading other peoples posts and totally forgot to add to my journal. I am 9 days post op. Pain is my companion and my Dilaidid my respite Oh and ICE….LOTS of ICE. I find I am mobile. I’ve been outside walking to my corner and back a couple times, weather permitting . I feel comfy on my feet and use the walker to ward off my dogs ;-) If I have any real issue is sleeping. I go to bed near 9 and take a couple of hours to get to sleep. I wake up at 3 to refresh the ice machine and maybe take a Tylenol. I’m wake till 5 then crash till 9. I never really feel rested. I have a lounge doctor which is helping with the swelling. I just wish I could say log in about 6 hours or so of sleep in a row. Oh well…pity party is over. TTFN

Glad to hear you are able to walk to the corner already, @Tino2You.. That's really great for just 9 days out!

What you are describing about the sleep problems is completely normal at this stage of recovery. We've all been through it and following are our best tips.
  • Keep icing and elevating as much as possible.
  • Stay ahead of the pain by taking your meds on schedule.
  • Sleep when you can and where you can.
  • And, don't overdo the exercising.
It does get better. It just takes time.

Sending hugs. :console2:

Sounds about right.
I started to feel better a day before 2 week mark.
Hang in there. Lots of icing and elevating and stay ahead of pain with your meds.
TTFN (I like Pooh, too)

OMG banner day. Went to sleep at 9ish (still taking a Diladid) slept till 430! BONUS!!!! Doesn’t sound like a lot but it is longer sleep in one batch since last 1/17 (OP day).
Went to PT, did all my exersizes. My ROM is 108. I think I am on track. Any, i am rewarding myself with a chillin sing my ice machine and maybe a wee nap.

You are better than on track, you are ahead of the game! It's time for a celebration!

See when yo start bragging Karma is a there to smack you upside your head. Last night was horrible. I went to bed as usal. Set up my ice machine and got comfy. Took my pain med and while waiting for it to kick in I wanted some videos. Around midnight, my knee was still talking to me. The ice machine stoped working!!!
Long story short, there is a sponge filter in the Breg that was clogged, by the time I discovered/corrected/re iced the machine it was in the wee hours. 3 steps forward 2 back. But hey…its progress.

We call it the knee boogie man. He's always hiding around the corner waiting to jump out at you. Hope you have a better day today.

Hi @Tino2You
Just read elsewhere you're getting out of the house today to go a restaurant for brunch. A couple things since you're only days post op - You may want to bring a cushion to sit on in case there are only hard surfaced restaurant chairs. You may become uncomfortable more quickly than you're anticipating and also feel confined. Also, see if you can be dropped off and picked up at the door making it easier for you because honestly those first outings can be a bit exhausting. Good Luck and Enjoy! Let us know how it goes for you. :wave:

Hi all. I just got back from brunch. It was WONDERFUL. The only thing that would have been better is if I could have had a Mimosa! As for the chair, it was ok. The table had a pedestal base that I used to straightened my leg out and raise it up about 8 inches, Not perfect but we made do. I took a Dilaudid before hand (my wife’s idea…bless her) and that too was a good idea. As for parking, we were very close so no problems there. We were home within 2 hours and that was my limit. Went to bed and iced my knee with my machine, which I am now calling Phred (It’s a Philly thing). Go Eagles!

Yippee! Getting out to do some normal things is so uplifting. Now, tomorrow you might be a little bit more painful and swollen. It's a normal occurrence after having an 'early' day out. But, boy, I'm sure it felt wonderful!

14 Days Post Op. Swelling on thigh and shin is gone. I have a knobby knee. Pain on the inside is pretty constant still. Me and my ice machine are the bestest of friends. I find that I don’t need To refill the ice as much. I can make do with just 6 6ox frozen bottles through out the night! Whooohoooo no more 3am trips to the freezer. I can easily walk several hundred feet on my slide walk (weather permitting). My wife and I wenr out to dinner tonight!!! Tomorrow willl be a banner day. PT at 10, and post op visit to my OS at 1. Big day. Am chillaxin with my feet on my Dr Lounger. Take care all. 48 days till spring, 13 days till pitchers and catchers report, 12 days to the Super Bowl….GO EAGLES.

Sounds like you've turned the corner in finding a comfortable recovery. I swear by an ice machine and lounge doctor!
Congrats on the Eagles victory! It was a blowout.
Counting down the days til O's spring training games in Sarasota.

Just had my 2 week post op visit. All dressings off, incision looks good, doc likes my ROM. Said I could forgo the walker. Can use a cane if necessary. Went home and have two steps between den and kitchen, actually walked up using both legs (ie left up then right !!!!) (ok I had a cane in my hand just in case). Pic of my chicken leg attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 77
Sounds like you had a great post op visit! All good news. I'll bet it felt reassuring to receive a nod from your surgeon that all is well. Leg looks good...and just think its going to get even better. :happydance:
A great rest of the week to you!
@Tino2You

Scar looks great! Sounds like you are doing brilliantly.

Not sure if anybody mentioned but make sure you’re hitting the fiber, pretty hard. All those drugs make a mess of your digestive system. I was eating a bunch of dried fruit.

Your leg looks awesome!!! You must be doing all the right stuff

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading other peoples posts and totally forgot to add to my journal. I am 9 days post op. Pain is my companion and my Dilaidid my respite Oh and ICE….LOTS of ICE. I find I am mobile. I’ve been outside walking to my corner and back a couple times, weather permitting . I feel comfy on my feet and use the walker to ward off my dogs ;-) If I have any real issue is sleeping. I go to bed near 9 and take a couple of hours to get to sleep. I wake up at 3 to refresh the ice machine and maybe take a Tylenol. I’m wake till 5 then crash till 9. I never really feel rested. I have a lounge doctor which is helping with the swelling. I just wish I could say log in about 6 hours or so of sleep in a row. Oh well…pity party is over. TTFN
Hi, Tino, don't say the pity party is over, LOL. I think we owe it to each other to commiserate with each other. I like having a place to whine. This total knee replacement hurts, less now than in the early days. I am also still getting up at night about twice to walk around and do not yet have my energy back. You are only nine days post op!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back