MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

@becticu during my recovery I had a couple of those very unexpected swelling and painful days. One was caused by soaking in a hot tub. One by driving about 70 minutes at 6 1/2 weeks out. There were several others that had no rhyme or reason. I think Celle is right at times it is the cumulative activities of the last 3-5 days that make the knee go on sudden protest. If it persists contact your OS especially since you have the UTI going on.

As far as FMLA some companies mandate that it run simultaneously to STD which is so unfair! Please plan ahead and schedule time off to fully recover from knee 2. The energy drain and brain fog only got worse for me after my second surgery. As another RN I'd hate for someone with my level of brain fog interpreting my EKG! :heehee:

Another hint with my second surgery since I was no longer a narcotic virgin I needed more pain medication in the first few weeks.

I hope your feeling better soon and able to enjoy a few spring days before your next replacement.
 
Thank you @Red's Mom. Dr ordered an ultrasound to check for clot today but that was good. It's discouraging to feel like I'm back to the beginning again. I am doing nothing but rest, elevate and ice and see if this goes away. Your advice about taking the extra time makes sense. I was really concerned about the 12 weeks being up with the right knee only being 6 weeks old. I have 26 weeks of STD with 100% pay so I'm okay that way. I am talking to my HR tomorrow. As you said I imagine the brain fog gets worse with the second surgery so that is something to consider. I'm still pretty foggy now! Thanks for your encouragement.
 
Don't feel too bad with a little set back. We like to say this recovery is a roller coaster, lots of up and downs...
 
Hey betticu! How is that swelling doing? Are you still on schedule for May 3rd? I hope you are doing well! Thinking of you!
 
Hi @LindaO, thanks for checking in on me. The swelling did come down. However I could no longer hold my weight on that leg even though had done very well with that for over a week. After several days I was walking much easier but my balance and strength were really affected. I had a back issue going in to this. I have herniated L3-5,S1 and had two epidurals in the fall and winter that didn't help. My Neurologist said he couldn't help my back till I got my knees fixed because they were just affecting the other with gait, etc. My back hadn't bothered me since surgery that I knew of, but I was very medicated! I started having bad shooting pains down my leg wrapping around my foot with some numbness. When I eased off on the medicine a bit the pain from my back was much worse than the knee. Long story, sorry. I saw my OS Friday and he cancelled May 3. I am to get an epidural for my back and they are rescheduling the knee toward the end of the month. I am actually relieved because I was afraid to go into it like that. I'm back to using a cane and fairly unsteady. My PT is working on my back more than the knee to see if I can get some relief. It's been really discouraging but I'm hoping things turn around. He did change me from 10 of oxycodone to 10 of hydrocodone to see if that helps the emotional craziness that I hope was caused by the meds. It doesn't relieve the pain as well but if it helps me not feel so crazy I will figure it out! Hopefully I'll feel more like me with good knees and back by next year....
 
@becticu Your are not alone at all in what you are going through. Brain fog hit me hard too. I was off the opiates in three weeks except occasionally when I participated in the ODC(over did it club). Sleep deprivation and oxy's are a terrible combo.

Everyone heals at different rates so putting off the 2nd is probably best. It wouldn't be so bad to have surgery in July and be indoors July/August. Since it appears we might be in for a scorcher based on the mild winter and hot spring.
 
Hi @Bikesouth, I agree it's going to be a not one. I think it was 89 in Chatt town yesterday. You are just down the road from it seems. I really need to do it before July because I plan on being out of work for one long occurance. I actually work in Atlanta quite a bit. I was so happy not to be working during all the I-85 mess. Hopefully that will be fixed before I am driving back and forth! I don't know how you stand the traffic.
 
So sorry to hear about your back... I have been having sciatica since surgery but not as bad as yours. Like you, the back pain over rides the knee pain. Can't win for loosing! I have started using a back pain patch that I got at Dollar General and it eases the back pain a bit....works in tandem with the pain meds. Something to think about. Bless you! Hang in there!
 
Although my back issues (arthritis) are not as severe as yours, I did have back pain as I recovered and still experience it when I first get up in the morning. I hope they can get your back tamed down to have your next TKR.
 
I thought I would do a little check in. Sorry it is long. I am 6.5 weeks now. They determined the issue I had with my back and nerve going down my leg is causing the quad not to fire correctly. I still don't have the total strength and balance I had at 4 weeks. PT is working with my back more than knee for now. I have an epidural for my back on May 17 and then my right knee is scheduled for June 5 if back is cooperating. My range is 115 and 0 now and other than the strength doing good I think. I have the normal stiffness and tiredness but mainly using Tylenol for pain control. When they changed me from Percocet my fog lifted, my emotions stabilized and I don't feel like a crazy woman now! There is light on the other side! Thank you for all the advice and support. I felt very alone till I found this group!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So good to hear from you! I was wondering how you were doing. Sounds like they have found the problem so now it will just be getting better and preparing for the next surgery! Meds can affect us all so differently, but at least you now know that Percocet affects you badly! I will keep you in my prayers!
 
You have great ROM! I hope your back settles down because I know you're anxious to get your other knee done. Nearly any pain killer Percocet, oxycodone etc. causes that brain fog and grogginess. I looked at it as a necessary evil for a little bit, I'm glad the Tylenol is working and you're feeling your normal self.
 
Thanks @LindaO and @KarriB, actually it wasn't just the brain fog. I'm a little embarrassed but I turned into an emotional wreck. I could not stop crying. I felt so bad and couldn't control anything and finally had enough sense to realize it wasn't just the surgery but the meds. I know there are lots of emotions with the surgery alone but a day after the Percocet was out of my system I was like a different woman! They will have to figure out something strong enough for this next surgery that isn't Percocet. Linda your next one is around the corner! Thanks for the prayers. :loveshwr:
 
Becticu, so sorry you are having problems, I hope the epidural helps your back pain. I completely understand the tears!! I feel like surgery and medications make us an emotional mess! Thinking of you and wishing you a good outcome with the epidural so you can have your other knee done!
 
Let your OS know before your second surgery that you want something instead of Percoset. I was more emotional after my infection surgery, but I think it was because of that and the fear that went with it because I wasn't really taking pain meds, just massive antibiotics which have their own side effects. Discuss the options with your OS and hopefully he'll have a solution.
 
Today (it is after midnight) I am "celebrating" 7 weeks. I don't write a lot but am so thankful for this site. Thank you admin's @Josephine and @Celle for trying to be patient with me. I was such a classic example of that doesn't apply to me. I'm healthy, strong and determined and a nurse. Well that has nothing to do with it I found as I continued to fall flat on my face. I have been a slow learner with lots of brain fog and a terrible emotional reaction to Percocet. They would remind me they had given me things to read and why didn't I read them. Sometimes I would get offended because I couldn't remember reading things and find I still re read the mantras!

I am being vulnerable here so please don't misunderstand this. Some of my first impressions were this was a strange group of people that didn't want to work hard at their therapy and just eventually get where they wanted to be. I am so used to working hard and giving it all I have to make things happen. Again, I was wrong and I realized working hard was working against me. But just when I think I understand it all and I am having a good day, I overdo it and backward steps.

On Monday PT fired me! She said you don't need me, you know what to do, just keep it up! I will start again shortly with my right knee surgery on June 5. My range was 125 and 0 on my own! I was very thankful for that. I still deal with pain and stiffness but I guess that is normal for this early.

I have an epidural next Wednesday for my back which flared terribly during this. I have an already known L 3-5 and S1 herniation and the nerve going down my leg started to affect how the quads were firing. Hopefully that will help and get me stronger for this next surgery.

I have the very rare night that I sleep. I think I am doing what's recommended as far as med's and Benadryl but doesn't help a lot. I was watching TV in the bedroom to fall asleep and stopped that this week. We will watch in the family room but I am trying no electronics in the bedroom....as I lay here writing on my iPad :rotfl:.

Thanks again for this site. I continue to go back to the beginning of so many of your stories and read them all the way thru. It helps to know others are struggling with most of the same problems. I can't wait to say, I am how ever many months out and my knees are starting to feel great and feel like they are mine!
 
Yay for being fired from PT! You have a bit more extra time on your hands now. Now you'll have a little time to enjoy life before the next TKR. You're ROM is fantastic for 7 weeks!
 
Such a great update. Our surgery spacing is similar. I had my left done a month after you and my right will be the end of June. Right now I'm nervous about doing the other knee, but you guve me hope that in another 4-5 weeks, I'll be more ready for the baby knee to take over.
 
We have such similar lives, it is amazing the things we are both experiencing and our profession! What great ROM! I only wish mine was that good and if you have any advice on how you got there, please share it!
Are you still having any swelling?
Good luck with your ESI on Wednesday! :thumb:
 
It was 2015 before I found this wonderful site. I had already had 9 knee surgeries and knew that no pt and very gentle daily living was the way to rehab a knee after surgery. All through those years well-meaning friends would ask me if I was doing my therapy and I'd just smile and nod my head. Unless people have experienced knee surgery, they haven't a clue what it's all about.

After my last meniscus repair, I learned that a knee replacement was needed and googled for knee replacement sites and came across this one. It was a gift from God! I knew I wouldn't do the exercises or pt, just use my knee as I always had and as much as it would allow, but I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know about all those ups and downs, those crying spells, that awful brain fog, or the exhaustion. This site prepared me for all that and more!
 
Back
Top Bottom