MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

Teaching 1st grade is a an active job, it didn't include nights away from home though. I thought my TKR recovery would be my experiment into retirement. But like you I realized I did t feel well enough to do much, then when I could've begun to do more I had the infection and another surgery. Luckily I went into TKR with 180 sick days and I used 60+ days that whole year. I had planned to have the knee done in the fall, knowing it was when I'd miss the least amount of instructional time because of Thanksgiving and Christmas break.

What are you using for this knee? You can only use the FMLA once in a year (I think). But I am almost 100% sure you aren't gong to feel up to tha schedule at 6 weeks with the second knee. I think we have some info here on HR. I'll take a look am deathly post it when/if I find it.
 
6 weeks does seem like it would be tough to return to your job with as much time on your feet and traveling long distances. If you could arrange to work from home part-time or ease into your full-time position, I think you would be happier. But, of course, only you can determine how that knee is doing after your next surgery. Every knee is different. I am able to move around and do some getting out (for a meal or church), but my time on my feet is quite limited. At almost 3 weeks, I am happy with what I can do, and longing for what I am not yet able to do. But I'm taking my sweet time to get back to normal life...because I can. Everyone is not in my situation and many do not have that option. But if you CAN take more time off, I know you won't regret it.
 
Hi KarriB and crstysue, thanks for the input. I actually have 26 weeks of full pay short term disability for the year. Where I get confused is people talking about the FMLA. If I have all the STD what does the 12 week FMLA have to do with it if I get paid anyway? I will have used 12 of the 26 weeks after the second surgery. Maybe I need to call the HR dept and ask them. I've never had to take extended time off before like this, so much to learn.
 
I've called on some help searching for the info I saw here.

When I spoke to my union president about my TKR and sick days she said, "don't let them talk you into an FMLA if you're using sick days." Apparently if I had needed all 180 days and not used the FMLA, I could use the FMLA to hold my position without pay. That's exactly what they tried to do, I stood my ground and said all I intended to use was sick leave, as that would give me full pay, insurance and hold my position.
 
Can you schedule your maximum time off, and if you don't need it, then go back to work without using it all up? No one knows ahead of time how their knees will react. It's better to be prepared, just in case.
 
becticu - I am so glad to have found you on the forum. My surgery was 2 weeks before you (March 8) and we are also close in age (I am 60) and I, too, would describe myself as active (I walk up to 20 kms/12 miles per day for a living).

To learn that somebody else on this forum is recovering about the same as me is a relief! I had 9 PT appointments up until 4 days ago and I have cancelled tomorrow's until my poor knee settles down (it has been swollen and stiff). After last Thursday's PT appointment, where measurements revealed that I had not improved in about 10 days, I was very distraught. I turned to the Internet and found this website/forum. Reading about the mantras recommended here made sense to me and I have started to adopt them.

When I read, however, of a gal who is 74 and had 110 degrees flexion before even leaving the hospital - I am returned to near despair. When I left the hospital my flexion was about 40 degrees and has improved to barely 80 since then; extension is better than it was pre-op, but not near where I thought it would be, either. When I see my surgeon for my 6 week check-up in 3 days, I will learn which 'school of recovery' he subscribes to, because I am far behind where the therapists have suggested I should be.

Admittedly, my expectations were far different than my reality is proving to be. It didn't help that everybody says, "oh, you are so young and so active - you'll sail through this". Bonesmart has helped me to understand that recovery is a long road - perhaps a year+ - and that I should listen to what my knee is telling me.

I also shared your concern about all the pain meds i was supposed to be taking. I was taking them when I wasn't even in pain - just as a precursor to exercise sessions (at home and at PT). In the past 4 days since finding Bonesmart, I have reduced pain meds to near none, since the only time I was ever in pain was while I was exercising.

So, as I said, it was reassuring to hear from someone close to me in age, surgery date, and recovery. It has been too few days for me yet to try and sound like an experienced "Bonesmarter", but I will be following your posts.
 
How have the oils worked for you?
 
Wow, lots of nurses here, me, too but haven't practiced in years. I'm also a dental hygienist but work as an office manager for a large dental practice.
Anyway, it sounds like you're going in the right direction although in little steps.
Keep the faith!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Minstrel, I am glad we made a connection as well. It's so good to find people here that you can relate to. It sounds like we have similar stories. I don't remember who said it but it was something like an 80 year old knee has the same thing done as a 60 year old knee. Just because we are younger doesn't necessarily mean it will be easier. I thought because I was stronger, very active and determined that it wouldn't require a lot. WRONG, Being patient is very difficult for me. I kept hitting rock bottom every few days. Learning to be patient and follow,the mantras have helped a lot. I've had to cancel some of my PT appointments or tell them no I can't do that. I had to learn the difference between discomfort and pain. There are a lot of times that they cause discomfort but I should not be crying every time I go to PT. For this week and today I feel I have finally turned a corner. (Notice I said for this week). My flexion finally started to come around and I made some progress this week. Yours will come, be patient with that baby knee. It's difficult but quit comparing yourself to someone else. I was terrible about that. If they could do it why couldn't I? That doesn't help us at all. I don't feel like I am an experienced BoneSmarter but I know they have helped me so much in this recovery process. It's good to feel you aren't alone in this battle! Don't reduce your pain meds too much and don't let the pain get ahead of you. I am experimenting on just doing Tylenol on non therapy days and see how I do. It's nice for the brain fog to lift a bit. Stay in touch and I hope your Dr visit goes well.
 
@LindaO, I have been using a blend called Deep Blue that has several different oils in it and then layering Frankincense and then Marjoram over that. I feel like it is helping with the inflammation because I don't feel as stiff as I have. It can't hurt and I am being careful not to get the oils near the incision.

@Dragonfly7 yes I think there are quite a few nurses on this site. The wonderful thing about nursing is there are so many different fields to go into and still be in nursing. I do believe that bedside nursing is the heartbeat of nursing although it isn't always where you can be or want to be for your whole career. I feel like my baby steps are starting to improve finally. I have had two good days in a row, hoping this makes three!
 
What a good report! Two good days in a row is remarkable, and you aren't even a month out yet! You are doing something right! Keep it up and follow the BoneSmart recovery guidelines!
 
I need helpful advice! I had LTKR on March 22, however many days ago that was. I had a good last two days. I did go to Easter service on Sunday and PT yesterday but nothing strenuous or extreme at all. I felt a little stiff today so spent a good part of the day elevating and icing. I did wake up and felt like perhaps I was starting a UTI and by noon I was sure. I was able to get in, see the doc and be home in less than an hour so I wasn't out long. I was walking from one room to another when all of a sudden I felt my knee start to swell big time. There was no twist, no pop, no sudden pain nothing. Immediately I could barely bend it nor bear any weight on it. I have been walking on my own since last week with a normal gait. Using the walker I was able to get in bed, elevate and icing now. If I try and move the leg at all I have extreme pain. I can't even lift my leg up off the bed at all and I've had no problems doing that. The doc put me on Cipro for UTI. I was a little hesitant to take it due to side effects but I have had one dose. I haven't called the doc because I guess all they would say is ho to ED. I'm a lot more comfortable elevated and icing than I would be in the ED. However, I don't know what I should do. OS closed of course for the day. Any ideas on what I did? I'm so discouraged, I don't want to start all over again. My second knee is in 3 weeks....
 
The increased swelling could just be your knee responding to the cumulative effect of several outings - church, PT, walking on your own, and trip to the doctor.

For now, you're doing the right thing - rest, ice, elevation and regular medication. It may take a day or two to settle down, but if it's not starting to improve by Friday morning do go back to your surgeon before the weekend.
 
Thanks @Celle, it just so came out of no where. I was so careful to elevate, ice and rest a lot as I did some things. What was so strange was the first sensation was the immediate swelling, then came the not being able to move it along with intense pain. Down for the count again, maybe I can concentrate on a book! Thanks again.
 
Oh becticu, I am so sorry your are in such awful pain. Your knee is not even a month old and you are treating it likes it's two or three months old. Below is the activity schedule for a knee replacement. As you can see, you have done way too much, way too soon. Your knee is rebelling and it will probably be angry for a few days at least. You have joined that awful place, the ODIC (Over Did It Club). Most all of us have visited that place, but usually it's only one time. I first went back to church after almost 5 weeks and then came home and did the recovery guidelines for the next few days and nothing else! I pray your pain diminishes quickly.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
@becticu I'm having no luck finding the information on Human Resources and how to use time off. You may want to call the HR department from work to see what they say. When you speak with them you may want to ask about a phased part time return you mentioned a few days ago.
 
@beticu, I also think I have done something to my knee this week. I let them push me too far at PT on Monday, and today I'm really hurting in a place that I don't recall hurting. They thought they could push me because I was doing so well. Now I'm paying for it. I'm going to have to really back up....so I can move ahead. We all do it sometime, and I'm right with you. I am so sorry you are experiencing this pain, and the UTI. Awful! Hang in there, and show that knee a lot of lovin'!
 
I got a UTI shortly after my replacement, too. My first one. They are no fun. I pray yours gets better quickly. The Cipro cured mine and in a day or two I felt much better. I hope your response is even quicker!
 
Hello again, @becticu. Thank you for your comments in response to my post on your thread.

You mentioned that some flexion started to come around and you have made some progress? Was there anything in particular that you remember doing (or not doing)?

You, too, have cried at PT? Man, there have been so many tears on my part, both at the clinic and at home. Never mind comparing myself to others, I would like to be able to compare my personal progress from one PT visit to the next and see some difference in the numbers! I have absolutely stalled.

I am both anxious and scared to see my surgeon in 2 days. In conversation over the phone with a physio therapist who is a part of the multidisciplinary team at the clinic, I have been warned that talk of manipulaton under anesthesia will likely come up. And, I know from reading on this website/forum that it is not recommended, but I'm feeling a little desperate for some improvement.

Whereas I thought I was ready for this operation and the ensuing recovery, I am now realizing how woefully unprepared I was. I thought i would be getting driving privileges back by this time, but my car is a standard transmission and i don't have the flexion or the strength to operate the clutch. And we've had some more spring snow here, so I'm pretty much housebound. This is turning out to be one of the hardest things i have ever had to endure.
 
Betticu did you put both surgeries on one request for FLMA and STD? Or do you have to separate them? I am in exactly the same boat you are. I only told them of 1 surgery and was going to update when I had the second but don't know if that will be a separate request.
Have you noticed any additional bruising since the new swelling? Just be careful of DVT as well. Praying you get better soon!
 
Back
Top Bottom