Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

I don't know anything about the "cooking" machine you mentioned. But sounds like a good plan to disable the compression part and just let it ice. I always, of course, make sure I am wearing leggings so that the ice is never against my skin directly. I can ice almost all the time that I am sitting without worrying. And now 5 days post surgery, I am able to walk well, to and from the kitchen and bathroom, still using the walker (although I think I'll be able to start walking without it next week).

Please don't worry about the pain meds. I worried somewhat since I would not completely stop taking pain meds before I went and had a second knee replacement, and would have to start the heavy-duty meds all over again. My OS helped me ease off the meds gradually the first time, getting off all the condone meds around 4 weeks so I could drive. I still took the Hydrocodone (2 pills before I went to bed), though, so that I could rest easier with less pain. It worked, and I expect it to work this time as well. @becticu, you will do great. I can tell you from my first surgery less than 9 weeks ago, getting through that first 2-3 weeks is such an encouragement builder. And when you actually "forget" to take your pain meds, you know that your body is doing what it's supposed to. Painfree days ahead, just be patient and realize it is a turtle's-paced marathon, not a race!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<
 
Crstysue is right, don't worry about the meds right now. I had never taken anything stronger than Tylenol and worried a bit a first. But my friends encouraged and informed me that the meds would help me to heal better. Around week 4 I began to forget or sleep through a dose and I began to take less naturally because I needed less.

I would think compression right on the wound would be painful. I'm glad you found a way to ice without pain.
 
I see the picture just fine. I have difficulties posting any pics because I can't seem to reduce the size. May try to do that with Hubby's help later. Looks like you have a nice straight incision!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well the picture showed up! This is day 11. As you can see I still have a lot of swelling. I did "ditch" the walker and not using anything around the house. I am using a cane when out. I just wish the flexion was better. I have PT in the morning and I don't think I have as much as I did on Friday when I was there...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I use the upload a file tab in the bottom right corner. It gives you a thumbnail picture. Use it next time, we'll size this photo down for you.
 
This is really early to stop using a walking device. If you are limping at all that's a sign your knee isn't ready to take on the full responsibility of walking alone, so pull out the cane.
 
@KarriB, the picture disappeared? I don't have an upload file tab in bottom right. I feel like I'm not seeing what I should be.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
No, the picture is there. While I was posting you posted as well and I just didn't scroll up enough. I edited my post. I use an iPad and while typing I have three black boxes on the bottom right; post reply, upload a file, more options.
 
Wow! The incision looks great, and the swelling looks manageable! I am glad it is slowly improving! I am a lightweight on meds too...in the past, I've take 1/2 of a 5mg Lortab and slept for 4 hrs! But you have to listen to your body...it will let you know! Best of luck!
 
I reduced your picture for you, @becticu

I'd also like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Level 1-2 when drugs are good and at rest. If I've missed a dose for some reason or have been walking or exercising a level 6.

2. Percocet 10/325 q 4 hrs
Robaxin 500 mg q 6 hrs
I had a nerve block from Wed, day or surgery until Friday evening
I also has Oxicotin 10 mg SR q 12 hours for the first seven days

3. My swelling is moderate

4. My extension is 0 and flexion is 80. 80 at PT. I haven't succeeded in that in my home therapy. I do have the CPM up to 83 this weekend.

5. I am icing 4-5 times a day. I have a machine the Dr ordered that keeps a constant temp 30 min on and 30 min off. I keep that on 4 cycles.

6. I try to elevate as much as possible. I sit only minutes with legs totally down. I use the pillow stack in the recliner. We have an adjustable bed where the feet can be elevated, but not with a bend in the knee. I always sleep with leg elevated at night. I am careful to have no bend so extension stays good.

7. My activity level is low, at least it feels low to me. I get up and walk around the house and stay up for about 15 min at least every 3-4 hours. I have folded one load of laundry and heated food in microwave. I've been able to take showers with help of shower chair. I washed my hair today it blew it out to straighten it. I had to sit down about half way in because I was so exhausted. I've only been out to PT so no shopping or anything. However tomorrow my granddaughter has a program at school that I want to try and do. I have PT in the morning at her program is at noon.

8. Exercises at home:
- leg lifts 10 lifts 3 times a day
- toe points and circles - numerous times a day
- heel slides 4-5 slides 4 times a day
- recumbent bike, not every day, no more than 2 minutes. Can't make full revolution - just
go back and forth.
- walk to the end of block and back (we live on the end so a block down and back) I try to
daily, but on days like today with shower and hair I did not

Exercises at PT - I go 3 times a week for one HR session then icing after that
- Recumbent bike - rocking back and forth 5 minutes
- standing up with no support from hands 10 times- 2 reps
- working on flexion at least 5-8 minutes
- leg lifts 10 times 3 reps
- lifting my weight off table on hands ( using something I hold on to) 10 times 2 reps
- I'm sorry, I don't official names and I can't think of everything we do.

Let me know if you need anything else and thanks so much for your help.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you are feeling better! Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was so motivated
I think all of us went into this with the determination of snapping back quickly. Well, that's what we thought! That was our mind thinking, not our knee talking! No matter what, your knee is in control, and it should be! After all, it was extremely abused and is very inflamed and angry. My OS told me to not even try the bike for 4 weeks, then just rock back and forth and not worry about a rotation until the knee is less swollen and is ready. There's no rush, and besides, you can't force it. If you try to, you'll just slow down your recovery. You don't even need to exercise to rehab that knee. You your daily activities will. Many of us on this site never took PT and I'm one of them. After 11 knee surgeries and no PT, I am doing great! There are still some days when I way over do and my 10 month old knee will fuss. But, it's nothing like it was even a few months ago. Normally, a little bit of icing will calm it right down! If you follow the recovery guidelines on this site, you'll have a quicker, less painful recovery. And remember, you'll be taking baby steps. Your knee is an infant and should be treated as such!
 
1. Level 1-2 when drugs are good and at rest. If I've missed a dose for some reason or have been walking or exercising a level 6.
Okay, that sounds about normal!
2. Percocet 10/325 q 4 hrs
What's the 'q' for? No speaka da lingo!
3. My swelling is moderate
Okay
4. My extension is 0 and flexion is 80. 80 at PT.
When you say "80 at PT" do you mean that the PT 'helps' you to get there by pushing on your leg? You do know this is a big no-no! Having 'help' with flexion will only procure you more pain and swelling. Plus, the only number that counts is the one you get under your own power.
I haven't succeeded in that in my home therapy.
Well good!
I do have the CPM up to 83 this weekend.
3 degrees is nothing!
5. I am icing 4-5 times a day. I have a machine the Dr ordered that keeps a constant temp 30 min on and 30 min off. I keep that on 4 cycles.
You accomplish little or nothing in 30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. I try to elevate as much as possible. I sit only minutes with legs totally down. I use the pillow stack in the recliner.
Very good.
I am careful to have no bend so extension stays good.
Never have your leg totally straight whilst resting and elevating. It's not normal and will cause you a lot of pain. Besides which your leg is already at 0 extension so it's perfectly okay to have a bit of a bend. Read this Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling
7. My activity level is low, at least it feels low to me. I get up and walk around the house and stay up for about 15 min at least every 3-4 hours. I have folded one load of laundry and heated food in microwave. I've been able to take showers with help of shower chair. I washed my hair today it blew it out to straighten it. I had to sit down about half way in because I was so exhausted. I've only been out to PT so no shopping or anything. However tomorrow my granddaughter has a program at school that I want to try and do. I have PT in the morning at her program is at noon.
Obviously you never read the recovery articles that were left for you earlier. Please read this again Activity progression for TKRs


My comments in bold
Exercises at home:
- toe points and circles - numerous times a day - these are only anti-clot exercises and unnecessary to do once you are fairly active. And you are fairly active!

do no exercises more than once a day and none at all at the weekends

- leg lifts 10 lifts 3 times a day - a tip about SLRs, once you can do them you don't need to do them any more!
- heel slides 4-5 slides 4 times a day - heel slides are very easy to do badly and this is badly! Read this Heel slides and how to do them properly.
- recumbent bike, not every day, no more than 2 minutes. Can't make full revolution - just go back and forth - good! The less the better!
- walk to the end of block and back (we live on the end so a block down and back) I try to daily, but on days like today with shower and hair I did not - this is a very BIG no-no! Read the activity progression article I just left you. You shouldn't be doing this until at least week 5. You are too much in the throes of the Energy Drain to be doing this yet.

Exercises at PT - I go 3 times a week for a one hour session
- Recumbent bike - rocking back and forth 5 minutes - okay
- standing up with no support from hands 10 times- 2 reps - no! Right now you need the support of your hands to get to your feet. Doing without that will cause you excessive pain in your thigh muscles.
- working on flexion at least 5-8 minutes - however you are doing this, don't do it. And if the PT is 'helping' you with your flexion, stop that too. This is the BEST way to end up with poor flexion.
- leg lifts 10 times 3 reps - 30 reps are a time is far too much so stop doing this too
- lifting my weight off table on hands (using something I hold on to) 10 times 2 reps - I've never heard of this particular exercise before and I really don't see how it benefits your knee at all!
- I'm sorry, I don't official names and I can't think of everything we do - that's a shame because I cannot therefore advise you properly. And I wasn't after 'official' names anyway. Instead, I suggest you read this and take note BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy.

You may be thinking that you have to obey instructions from the PTs but in my experience, their protocols are far too aggressive and harsh. But you have the right to refuse to do things are that too much and that cause you pain. Read this also Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Because it's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
q means every. Thanks for your comments. Actually I did read everything. I find re-reading every few days very beneficial. There is so much information as well as dealing with the drug stupor that causes me to keep forgetting what I read. Thanks for your insight @Josephine.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh I see - never came across that before, I have to say! Always something new to learn!

Glad it all helped though.
 
I have seen it written on doctors' prescriptions, thus: "q4h", " q6h", or "q.i.d.". They mean 4-hourly, 6-hourly, and four times a day.
It's bit old-fashioned and obscure, though, and probably best avoided nowadays.
 
Back
Top Bottom