MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

Sorry for the confusion. I don't even think about it. It is Latin and how all medication orders are written in the hospital and on prescriptions. RN's are familiar with the term and with years of using it in practice you don't even think about how you wrote it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, i had LTKR 23/1/17 and am doing really well after a slow start. if it helps I was finding flexion really hard in the first month but the BoneSmart forum stopped me from having unrealistic expectations. I followed the mantra and my ROM steadily improved to the point that after 6 weeks I didn't have pain and my ROM was 0/115 and it's still getting better. Don't overdo it! ROM will come if you let it heal at its own pace. LTKR 23/1/17


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @Cyclemad for the encouraging words. I truly don't want to overdo things but want to make sure I am also doing my part. I see my OS on Friday and will make certain that he, PT and myself are all in the same page. I am 2 weeks out tomorrow. I think my darkest days were between days 3-11. They were really tough. It's scary to think about May 3 I am having the right knee done. It hasn't been long enough to forget that pain!! I am glad you are doing well and the flexion continues to get better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[emoji4][emoji8]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am 2 weeks out tomorrow. I think my darkest days were between days 3-11. They were really tough.
Yep, those early days are. It sounds like you're doing well, really. Hang in there--it gets better slowly but surely.
 
I truly don't want to overdo things but want to make sure I am also doing my part. I see my OS on Friday and will make certain that he, PT and myself are all in the same page.
That's all very understandable, but don't get led into the idea that you need to work hard, in order to have a good recovery. Recovery from a TKR is one instance where "Less is More". Less intensive exercise = less soft tissue irritation and inflammation = less swelling = more ROM. Just a little, gentle exercise is sufficient.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

Sometimes it isn't possible for you, your surgeon and your PT to all agree and in those cases you should listen to your knee and do what keeps it happy. Ultimately, the choice is yours, because it's your knee.
 
Betticu teehee...we use q day, q hour etc., as well. I guess different countries use different abbreviation. I do think they are trying to stop using any abbreviations but hard habit to break. What was it about the 3-11 days that you had issues with? Hope all is settling down!
 
Hi LindaO, I'm sorry I didn't see your message till today. I tend to use my phone instead of my iPad and I find it difficult to navigate around and find things easier. I think for me those days were the hardest for several reasons. The pain was the worst during those days, I slept terrible and would go from the bed to the recliner several times a night. I guess the pain med's make me a little crazy. I cried at nothing. I was so emotional. I'm still real emotional but not as bad. I think I was fairly "normal" before surgery (whatever normal is) but guessing the crying won't last forever. I had my 2 week follow up but saw the PA not the surgeon. All seems to be well. I did go to a restaurant for a family birthday celebration this weekend. It was really good to be with everyone and see the grandkids all together. That is my only real outing besides PT 3 times a week. I am trying not to worry about flexion (90 degrees) and concentrate on rest, elevation and icing. It's hard for me to sit back and let it happen as my personality is the exact opposite. I have to re-read all the guidelines every day or so..! My second surgery is May 3 and I guess I know what to expect now. That's scary too, knowing how hard it is! But I know it will be worth it when I have two new knees and can get back to biking, hiking and all the other things I love to do but had gotten so difficult to do. I hope you are doing well?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you betticu! I can't work the iPhone as well as the iPad and get lost as well. I am beginning to experience some of what you said so good to know to expect it! I am not at 90 degrees yet so need to work on that some. Hope to see you improving more and more each day! Hang in there!
 
How is the healing going betticu?
 
Hi @LindaO, I am up and down. I think most everything is great except my flexion. I am about 95 degrees now. Today is 3 week mark. Everyone on here says not to worry and not force it. I am trying to believe that. I am using my CPM more now. I saw where you said you used it at night. How long do you use it and what do you set it to? I am using it for a couple of hours in the evening but I find it makes me actually more stiff. I do have more flexion right afterwards but it doesn't seem that it stays. I have to keep working back to that each time. My right knee is 3 weeks from today and I do have to say that I am nervous about it! I looked at your thread and it looks like you have had some hard times in the last day or so. I'm sorry. Keep taking the meds! My focus is getting a little better now. I had high hopes of doing a lot of reading but find I can't focus for long. Thanks for checking on me!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @becticu: 10 weeks ago I had a LTKR and 2 weeks ago I had a RTKR. I am doing well, with some definite issues that I had to deal with on each one. But I want to encourage you that you can do this and will be so grateful to have both knees done. I haven't read your story, so I can't speak to what you've been through. I just want to give you hope and a positive outlook as you work through this journey. You will do great!
 
95 at 3 weeks is very good. Don't feel bad about it, your in the minority with that good of a bend! I would be terrified to be going through another replacement so soon as you are. I admire your courage. Others do it frequently and get through it and you will, too!
 
Hi @crstysue, thanks for sharing your story. I love the encouragement we get on this site! Did you feel like your left knee was healed sufficient before you did your right? It looks like you had 8 weeks between and I have 6 so not too much difference. What was your flexion on your left when you did the right? I guess I am concerned it won't hold up when my right knee is done. I guess I need to remember that it is actually stronger now than the right, it just doesn't bend enough yet. You are only two weeks out from your right. I hope all is going well. I will have to find your recovery thread and read your story. Thanks again for the encouragement.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know, I worried that I'd lose ground on the first knee when I had the next surgery. That hasn't happened. In fact, I focused on the new knee and almost forgot about the first one. I think I was at 120 flexion and almost 0 extensionon the left knee when I had surgery on the right. As you rest to heal the new knee, continue to elevate both knees. The ROM will improve as the swelling comes down. I'm hopeful and just taking things slowly.
 
Just caught up on your thread. Your doing well, hang in there. When the second knee is done the first will also benefit from the rest. Keep elevating and icing. If the CPM makes it sore and stiff skip it. Many surgeons no longer use CPM. I did almost nothing except ADLs and got great results. Let the swelling and inflammation settle and the ROM will appear. It is hard to believe but it's true... you will love the pain free hikes, bikes and outings with the grandkids. Keep the faith.....
 
The first few days I used the CPM, I did it for about 6-8 hrs only going up to about 70-75 on flex ion but the last few nights I have only done a couple hours with the flex dropped to about 60 and like you, it feels more stiff afterwards now. Don't know if it's the swelling causing the stiffness or not. I am no where near 95 but a week or so behind you. I love to read too but haven't even tried due to the lack of concentration!! When do you see your surgeon again?
 
This has been one of those nights! I fell asleep at a normal time and slept well for about 3 hours and woke up to some very minor pain but some terrible night sweats! I took my meds and changed clothes. Instead of the pain getting better it has just got worse and worse. I've taken everything I can and still it remains around a 2-3. Enough to gnaw at you and keep you awake. If anyone has any personal input on CPM I would love to hear it. I have read the studies on them and know they aren't necessarily beneficial. I have been trying to be better at using it but my knee just gets more sore and stiff. I am going to do the BoneSmart way and cancel my PT tomorrow and try to do very little except rest, elevate and ice. The thought of going and pushing it makes me cringe. Cele, I am going to start standing up for my knee and not be pushed into things that are just going to prolong my healing. I feel like I've taken two big steps backwards. The pain meds make me feel crazy and I've cried off and on all night. My poor husband will need a medal when this is all over! My external swelling is fairly good. I know there is all the internal going on though. There is an area below my knee cap area and medial that is real puffy right in that spot. I think perhaps a bursa? Is that normal after replacement? Sorry this post is all over the place!
 
I've never used a CPM after any of my knee surgeries. In my opinion, passive movement does nothing at all for a knee. Your muscles aren't being used at all. If it leaves you stiff and sore, I'd stop it. Just using your knee daily is the best thing you can do for it. Read up on the posts where no one took pt and did it the BoneSmart way and are doing great. I'm one of them! Less inflammation, swelling and pain and more ROM are the byproducts of no extra exercises! The main things you need to do is to have patience and to walk. Walking with that heal to toe stride is the best way to get these knees back in shape!
 
Back
Top Bottom