I saw my new OS yesterday - the one who specialises in ankle and foot problems. His name is Salil Pandit. He trained in NZ and Australia.
He was nice. He examined my foot and ankle carefully, had me walking and trying to stand on tiptoes. He looked at my X-Rays and MRI and discussed them with me.
He listened carefully to my history and my concerns.
He agrees that the OA in my hind foot may not be the entire problem, because of my 10-year history of pain when I first get up from sitting after a while. For the first few steps, I have to support myself on furniture - and that started about 6 months after I sprained my ankle, almost 11 years ago. That pain is intermittent as well. I can go for months without it, and then it flares up again. To me, that says possibly tendon inflammation.
He said that, while fusion of the hind foot bones seems to be indicated, he is reluctant to do it at this stage, before we have ascertained that OA is the whole cause of my problems. As he said, he would not like to submit me to a surgery that does not have an easy recovery, until he is certain that it will fix the entire problem.
So, the next move is for me to have a CT scan of my ankle and foot, and see what that shows. I am to continue using the orthotic for now.
I have another appointment with him in 6 weeks' time.