TKR My Knee Replacement - Is My Progress Normal

I am so sorry that happened to you. PT can be the best or the worst. Can you find time at work to ice and elevate some? You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
 
That should not have happened to you, period. That was poor technique for strength testing. Call the clinic and talk to his supervisor about how he strength tested you, and your resulting pain and swelling. Also ask why the PTA was seeing you for discharge, you should have been seen by your PT.
Here is a schedule for Phased return to work .
Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate, hope your knee feels better by Monday.
 
^I agree with Pumpkln.
 
@Windyone555 sorry to hear the pt guy did that I agree with pumpkin call his supervisor so someone else doent go through it. I hope your return to work is good I also still feel very tired at the end of the day I have also just gone 12 weeks I finished pt on friday, but my pt guy was great.
 
Day 5 of my second TKR. In some ways it is less painful, in others it hurts more. My right knee is NOT happy with being asked to bear my weight when I stand. of course carrying 100 extra pounds is not helping me at all, either.
Just checking in to say hello and see how yall are doing
!:loveshwr:
 
Day 5 of my second TKR. In some ways it is less painful, in others it hurts more. My right knee is NOT happy with being asked to bear my weight when I stand. of course carrying 100 extra pounds is not helping me at all, either.
Just checking in to say hello and see how yall are doing
Welcome to the recovery phase, again.
I'm going to give you the recovery reading list again, so it's handy for this knee's recovery:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently.
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Day 5 of my second TKR. In some ways it is less painful, in others it hurts more. My right knee is NOT happy with being asked to bear my weight when I stand. of course carrying 100 extra pounds is not helping me at all, either.
Just checking in to say hello and see how yall are doing
!:loveshwr:
Hi Windyone555, I had my RTKR on the same day, 4/18/16. Boy, am I glad that's over with. Good luck in your recovery. Please keep me posted.

Jane


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Windyone555 . Just caught up on your thread as it is 3:30 am and I can't sleep. Congrats on the 2nd knee. I am almost 4 weeks out from my 2nd one and each knee has behaved differently. 2nd one was very painful when I got home but once that passed I have been pretty comfortable and swelling has been minimal. Just having a much harder time getting my energy back.
I have done things the BS way and only did PT exercises when therapist came to the house twice a week and that was it!! I was flabbergasted when the therapist did my discharge assessment and I had 118 flexion at 3 weeks!! Going to start aqua therapy next week in hopes of strengthening my stamina. First knee I did in home therapy only and never went to outpatient therapy and that knee has full ROM.

Take it easy on yourself, PT must not be painful as you well know!!

Wishing you a very speedy recovery:loveshwr:
 
Congrats on your new knee :) Did you get things sorted out with your PTA? Sorry the recovery of your first knee was so rough. I've learned alot on this forum, I'm 13 days post op and this forum has been a major Godsend. Never let a PT to to you anything that causes massive pain. Im not sure where they get their training but forcing it will only make it worse (I found this out the hard way). And Josephine is right, the ROM will come on its own in time. I spent this past weekend not doing much of anything except sleep because the pain meds they had me on had built up in my system and we're causing bad effects, and even without my doing any exercises or PT over the weekend, laying around, Monday my bend went from 95° to 105°. Still working on the extension which is at +2°. I don't stress about it like I used to because each day I find myself being able to do more and more.
I will keep you in my prayers. :roseshwr:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom